Escape to the Movies: Captain America

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I'm glad to see this movie is about a good guy. Not just a costumed superhero, but a genuinely good person. I am so stoked for this movie and I'm glad to hear it really was knocked out the park. Can't wait.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
meh, still not interested. Marvel's films have been painfully lackluster ever since Iron Man 2 was revealed to be a directionless bore due to Marvel being far too much in love with the Avengers.

And no Bob, the Avengers is not working. Hate to break it to ya, but not explaining something in a movie with the hand-waving of "oh, it was explained in ANOTHER movie!" is unacceptable. Films will never be comics and your love of comics refuses to admit that. Here's an analogy: this is like if they had a vitally important scene for a comic mini-series explained in a tie-in issue without TELLING YOU.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
It's THAT good? Damn, I need to find a movie theater somewhere... like, NOW...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
doing anything but playing the movie straight could not have possibly worked with the character. unfortunately i have to wait a month till the movie is released in Germany.

Doctor Brobotnik

Feb 26, 2011
bartholen said:
Doctor Brobotnik said:
Bah! This movie isn't out for another WEEK in New Zealand. WHYYYYY?!

Well, I look forward to opening night here in Zuu Zullind :p
Oh please, it's not out for nearly a month where I live.

And from that, its opening night is on my birthday. Perhaps I'll watch this one.
Sheez, you got it rough :\ where do you live?

(Capcha - 'i see'. Maybe life isn't so tough after all.)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm glad you said all those things Bob. Do I like snarky, edgy, or heroes with a bit of darkness to them? Sure I do. But after 20-30 years (and especially the post-Pulp Fiction era) where those were the only protagonists onscreen, I'm starving for an inspiring, capable, unapologetic Good Guy. I'm dying to see a Lawful Good character portrayal that doesn't degenerate into Lawful Stupid. And I'm glad there finally is one.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm generally not a fan of ultimate good vs. ultimate evil storylines and characters, but then I'm not a fan of attempts to add complicated morality but simply making it gritty and ambiguous. I'll certainly give this one a shot.

Sep 17, 2009
Hey Bob, can you stop trolling your community please? "Batman Who?" Really? You have to know by now that people are crazy about this movie and saying stuff like that has no purpose, but to incite people. Also, no superhero movie has surpassed The Dark Knight, and I doubt this one will either.

OT: I doubt it is as good as you say it is going to be, but I am glad it's getting such high praise.

I can't wait to see it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have little to no interest in this movie.

I'm just here to say that it's surprisingly nice to hear Bob sounding happy about a movie.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, I had expected this to be the worst of the avengers setups, awkwardly trying to avoid alienating international viewers while still keeping true to the patriotism that is needed by a character named captain america.
I still have doubts about the Avengers movie, mainly about how all these heroes' chemistry could possibly work together, but this has given me hope.

sewingrose

Nov 18, 2009
I've been waiting for this movie eagerly ever since it was announced, because Cap and Iron Man are my two favorite Marvel Heroes (besides Deadpool) because they provide superb contrasts. They got Tony Stark the snarky alcoholic self-loathing narcissist right, can they get Steve Rogers sincere sweet golden boy right as well? (I'd argue that it'd be harder to get Cap done right then it was for Iron Man). And I was desperately waiting for you to put up this video all week to assure myself that they could do it right, also because I'm scheduled to see it thrice this weekend with three different groups of people.
And I'm so happy they did.
Also, your comments as to why you loved the movie just assure me further that you're my perfect geek reviewer since I agree full-heartedly with how you describe the character and the setting as being exactly what Cap needs.
I'm so excited to see this, and even more so for the Avengers Movie, man I hope it's half as good as it could be.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
wooty said:
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.
Not only is he in it, he steals every scene he's in.

So yea, really good movie. And it goes without saying, but stay after the credits.... more so this than any other marvel movie to date, STAY AFTER THE CREDITS.

It's an actual freaking Avengers trailer, and it looks sooooo gooooood

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
wooty said:
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.
Yep. A whole slew of stars are in this movie, but not in an overly obnoxious way. I was so worried about how well they would do on Captain America, just because its a lot to live up to.

Most seem nowadays to attempt to spin the ironic type of screenplay in with the movie. Adding too much comic relief, or in awkward places, which makes the movie seem like its trying too hard. It just seems like...strong, and optimistic to me. Its no superpolitical movie. Its something that can resonate with most patriots, and doesn't throw patriotism at you like a brick.

Its a more humble movie in ways. Like Capt. America.

Sep 17, 2009
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Sounds interesting... But will anyone care outside America?
Most major superheroes are Americans, in America, saving Americans.

Yes they save the planet here and there, but it is mostly America.

Captain America is not a patriotic demon (he actually fought against the American government in Civil War), he is a super solider forced into the role of an icon.

He is very relatable, and other countries would have no problem enjoying such a character.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
Does anyone know who the guy who was shown beating up Steve in the beginning was?
OT: I saw it last night, and I agree wholeheartedly. I liked the mirror idea for the hero and villain, similar to the dichotomy in Hulk.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
i cant help but think that your review is a little to much over praised. a fan boy rant even.

dont get me wrong i value ur opinion every week and most of the time agree with u.

but i didnt really here any justification as to why this is a perfect movie rather than just a good movie that stands out from the resent line of disapointments.

normally you would talk about how the director shows he knows what hes doing and the cinematogaphy is astounding for one reason or another, and how machical bay should take note and get over his military hard on, etc.

but anyway sure im exited for a good action movie and hopefully i can turn my brain off long enough to enjoy this mainstream holleywood offering.

---
also OMG! the brave little toaster! childhood flashback!

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
It comes in August to Sweden, so I might see it then. However, is it good for someone who isn't american? All that patrionism kinda falls flat when you're on the other side of the Atlantic.