Escape to the Movies: Chronicle

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Awwww come on Mr. Sandler! Really?

As for this movie, I decided I wanted to see it since the trailer but I forgot the title. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement to see it!

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yes. I'm also 30 and it still effects me to this day; not as much as it once did, but still does. It's because of that that I'm afraid to go out and meet new people. And yeah, if I got super powers I'd probably go around smashing bullies in the face.
So maybe you're more resilient than Bob and myself, hooray for you; but don't go around judging everyone else by your standards.
Okay. I refer you to my original post.
And I repeat: Don't judge everyone else by your standards. I can't just snap my fingers and get over something. Although I really wish I could.
I'm sorry to hear that. I personally am one of those people who just gets over it generally within minutes of being bullied I was done being sad and moving onto the next thing don't know why just the way I'm wired. I have several friend who have trouble getting over stuff like this, so I understand at least to some degree. I hope you end up in a good place in relation to this man.

And drunk ninja no offense but your kinda being a prick.

On topic as soon as I saw the trailer I was hoping the one that goes evil(ish) was the one who bought the farm. I've always felt stooping to the bullies level was a fate worse than death. To become that which you hate I mean holy cow. I understand the reasoning but I find it abhorrent. The movie sounds interesting though May give it a watch.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Djinn8 said:
lesterley said:
And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.
Let the right one in (debatable)
Girl with the dragon tattoo
Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

To name a few off the top of my head.
artanis_neravar said:
These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld
You guys must have failed hard at Reading Comprehension back in school. Not a single one of those listed are even remotely close to being super hero movies, and some even fail the "doesn't dress like a stripper (or worse)" and/or "life isn't dependent on a male character" requirement.

Anyway, closest I could probably think of off-hand would be Hitgirl from Kick-Ass. Granted that none of the characters are "super" by any means, but the movie/comic still fall into the genre purely by virtue of being a parody/critique on the super hero genre as a whole.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Strain42 said:
In regards to this movie, Bob I think you did fine on it (not your best video, but fine) and to the people whining about spoilers, you should have shut off the video the first time he said "Spoiler Warning".
Except that he DIDN'T give a spoiler warning. He gave a joking "o btw spoilers lawl" nod to how he let the "super powers" thing slip, but it was hardly "Stop watching now, you have been warned" like he usually does with other movies. Heck, it was such a quick shot that I was about to post saying that he didn't mention anything about spoiler warnings, when I remembered "Oh yeah, that joke he did near the beginning".

TheDrunkNinja said:
Alright, it's not really about my standards or getting over your problems. My whole spiel is mostly about how people are dealing with those problems. Like you said, I don't know you. I don't know how you deal with them. But I will say, admitting that if you were granted power, you would abuse said power for revenge's sake. Not simple retribution, but fucking murder? That's like admitting you can't be trusted for any real responsibility.
Talk is cheap. It's one thing for Bob to say "Yeah, I'd be a villain if I had super powers", and something entirely different to claim that it means he'd actually pull the trigger if he was given a gun and pointed at one of his childhood bullies. Heck, for all we know, he was just having a shitty week and venting by way of his video. If you can honestly tell me that there has never been a day when you considered the idea of being a "villain" were you plopped into a comic book world, then either you're lying, or you have Flanders-level of bully therapy. Because everyone has those days where they'd gladly level a city to blow-off steam.

370999 said:
First of all that is pathetic, you instantly claim Drunken is a bully in that he disagrees with you. He has as much right to disagree and dislike as you do to differ and like and agree.
Except that his post IS very bully-like. It isn't about whether or not he has "the right" to say it (and I love how often people will use that as a defense when they know they can't justify what they said through any other means than "I can legally say it"), it's about how he said it.

Secondly it is entirely possible that, like me, he enjoys Bob's stuff in general as Bob can be a very perceptive reviewer but really disliek this victimhood mentality that get's brought in. Human beings don't have to be binary creatures of complete adoration or loathing.
While this IS entirely possible, it still doesn't help Drunken any, as it makes him into a liar. Clearly Bob struck SOME cord with Drunken that he absolutely HAD to bring this up. So if he is, in fact, just a casual viewer who likes Bob's reviews, then he obviously still has something buried that he isn't fully on terms with to be so bothered by Bob bringing-up HIS bullying. Though I think that's enough said about a third party without confirmation of anything from said party. I was simply pointing-out how neither of your points really help him.

TheDrunkNinja said:
Bob. You're 30. You were bullied when you were a kid.

Get over it. The rest of us "victims" already have. It's time you join us.
You know, I love how in all of this, no one has pointed-out the fact that none of us knows much about Bob's life. Just because he's said that he was bullied in school... does that mean it stopped after he got out of school? By all means, congratulations if you did indeed get over any trauma caused by bullying in your childhood, but don't assume that it's so easy for everyone else, and DEFINITELY don't assume that he's no longer being bullied just because he's 30. Believe it or not, adults can be just as petty as kids.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Keith Reedy said:
canadamus_prime said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yes. I'm also 30 and it still effects me to this day; not as much as it once did, but still does. It's because of that that I'm afraid to go out and meet new people. And yeah, if I got super powers I'd probably go around smashing bullies in the face.
So maybe you're more resilient than Bob and myself, hooray for you; but don't go around judging everyone else by your standards.
Okay. I refer you to my original post.
And I repeat: Don't judge everyone else by your standards. I can't just snap my fingers and get over something. Although I really wish I could.
I'm sorry to hear that. I personally am one of those people who just gets over it generally within minutes of being bullied I was done being sad and moving onto the next thing don't know why just the way I'm wired. I have several friend who have trouble getting over stuff like this, so I understand at least to some degree. I hope you end up in a good place in relation to this man.

On topic as soon as I saw the trailer I was hoping the one that goes evil(ish) was the one who bought the farm. I've always felt stooping to the bullies level was a fate worse than death. To become that which you hate I mean holy cow. I understand the reasoning but I find it abhorrent. The movie sounds interesting though May give it a watch.
I'm pleased that you understand. Few things irritate me more than being told to just "get over it." Believe me if it were that bloody easy I would've done it a long time ago and we wouldn't be talking about it now.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
MovieBob said:
Chronicle

Could this be another super-hero franchise?

Watch Video
Uh Bob I hate to say it but "Monsters" wasn't a "found footage" movie. Yes it was mainly done with hand cams but it wasn't ever set up to be "found footage". It had some file footage from the initial "infection" but it wasn't that much and it did have some footage that was based on news footage but again fit completely with the movie as it was watched by the main characters on a tv. The problem with the way you put it in your review here as a "found footage" movie is completely false since roughly 90% of said movie is just hand cams and following the main characters as the movie happens. There is no film that is later found. The audience is never under the impression that they are watching file footage that was just found or just released. Hand cam filming doesn't equal "lost footage". If that's what you took from it then I would implore you to watch it again if you ever did to begin with. Yes it was a low budget film, but it was in my opinion a really well done film.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
If you don't like what he puts in his videos than you don't have to watch them. You claim to have gotten past your own issues but here you are bullying people who haven't gotten past their issues yet.
I'd tell you how I feel about that, but someone already said it better than I could have:

370999 said:
First of all that is pathetic, you instantly claim Drunken is a bully in that he disagrees with you. He has as much right to disagree and dislike as you do to differ and like and agree.

Secondly it is entirely possible that, like me, he enjoys Bob's stuff in general as Bob can be a very perceptive reviewer but really disliek this victimhood mentality that get's brought in. Human beings don't have to be binary creatures of complete adoration or loathing.

And finally, Bob is a critic, he should expect it to happen back to him. Bob seems to have no compnction for pulling punches when he disagrees with others, so why should I with him.
This is exactly how I feel to a T. But you're answer to this . . .

artanis_neravar said:
It wasn't instant, it was after he repeatedly insult Bob for how he deals with his problem. That is bullying.

Secondly he said "he expects me to take his word seriously. It's not going to happen." this reads as him not liking Bob's reviews.
. . . is only based on assumptions that what 370999 is saying is wrong about me. It's not. He's exactly right. I like Bob's movie reviews. I disagree with some. I hate how he victimizes himself constantly, despite the fact that he takes himself very seriously as a critic. Calling me a bully because of that is seriously immature, dude. It's called criticism. It happens to those who expose themselves to the wide world of media. If my criticism is just too much for him to handle, he shouldn't have gotten into a career where he puts himself on a pedestal in front of the entire world.

If I opened a issue of Game Informer and read an game-review article where the writer talks about his ruined childhood for the first paragraph, it's my right as a reader to criticize him. Not because of his childhood. It's sad that he had a bad childhood, but he shouldn't be writing about it in the first place. Deal with it like an adult. Don't bring me into your personal life by writing about it, or I will give my opinion on it as is my right as a viewer.

This is the way the media world works. If you keep your life off the pedestal, then it's clear you're dealing with your problems like any mature adult. Bob doesn't do this. But that doesn't mean he certainly isn't above doing it himself, but in a more insulting manner than myself:

370999 said:
That doesn't strike me as bullying, maybe I'm biased because I tend to think Bob is the type of guy who engages in bad mouthing other people, Bay is a douchbag who makes movies for douchbags, but really it's a couple of posts.
Man, you clearly have a better understanding of this than most people here. Thanks for pretty much speaking so I didn't have to.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Keith Reedy said:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't feel that way about the people who have been disagreeing with me though.

If it was a little too stand-offish, it's been something I've wanted to say to Bob for a while. And, really, this shouldn't be any of our business, but in his videos, he puts those problems on a pedestal and makes it factor in the reviews we watch.

It bugs me, okay? If he didn't do it, I wouldn't have an opinion on it. And upon hearing about it, of course everyone's mind creates an opinion. It's impossible to ignore. The difference is, I directly called it out. I accept the responsibility of the opinions people form from my opinion. That's the way mass communication works. It all starts from a source, and the source is from Bob.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
You guys must have failed hard at Reading Comprehension back in school. Not a single one of those listed are even remotely close to being super hero movies, and some even fail the "doesn't dress like a stripper (or worse)" and/or "life isn't dependent on a male character" requirement.

Anyway, closest I could probably think of off-hand would be Hitgirl from Kick-Ass. Granted that none of the characters are "super" by any means, but the movie/comic still fall into the genre purely by virtue of being a parody/critique on the super hero genre as a whole.
Ok, but if you're talking about just superheros you have to remember that that kind of power fantasy generally comes about as a product of testosterone. It's not really fair to suggest that there aren't enough male fantasies that cater for women. Woman get a different type of heroine. The fifth element would be a good example of the difference. Men want to be Bruce Willis, the power house, action guy who can get things done. Women want to Milla Jovovich, the warm emotianal core that demands respect. Men want to destroy, women want to nurture. It's just the way of things.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I was worried with the relentless advertisements being shoved down my throat that it would be a bad film (compensating quality with heavy PR). I'm relieved it was a decent film. I'll actually bother wanting to go and watch it now.

I've always routed for the bullied kid gets brutal revenge character. Except in Carrie I don't see why the teacher had to die. She tried to help Carrie, and she got punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If I got superpowers, I'd probably go down the Justicar route from Mass Effect.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Djinn8 said:
lesterley said:
And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.
Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

artanis_neravar said:
These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld

And you fail worse "action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero"
And no none of those fail the dress like a stripper, or the life dependent on a man criteria

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
I refuse to watch this solely because of the bombardment of its shitty trailer through the YouTube videos I watch.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Djinn8 said:
lesterley said:

Ugh.
Terminator 2
Aliens
Run Lola, run

artanis_neravar said:
These and:
Themla and Louise
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Sound of Music
Grease
Fargo
Erin Brokovich
GI Jane
Kill Bill
Blue Crush
Juno
Silence of the Lambs
V for Vendetta
Underworld

The first thing she mentions is sci-fi/action/thriller/superhero, so she's not just saying superhero movies.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
SurfinTaxt said:
pg13 ... not worth my time
tbh it looks like a movie for 13 year olds
Yeah everything that is not rated R sucks. You know stuff like
StarWars
IndianaJones
Everybatmanfilm
Patton
Citizen Kane
Apollo 13
Every super hero film excluding Blade/and punisher war zone
Toy Story
True Grit original and remake
Rocky
Back to the Future
Forrest Gump
The Lord Of The Rings
The social Netwok
Ect
Are all terrible and not worth our time because they have a rating below R

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
The Great JT said:
2. I'm still pissed at the Patriots for beating my Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl years back, ergo screw those guys and in particular Tom Brady, let's go Giants.
As a fellow Carolinian (of the southern variety), I'd like to offer you a high-five.

On the note of the movie, having just seen it, I'd have to say the concept (and some of the power stuff) was interesting. However, I can't say the characters got me immersed (though I did feel for the bullied kid, though maybe not as much as Bob).

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
This movie is seriously awesome. I agree with almost everything Bob said here. When you've found a way to patch up the problems of found footage camerawork and angles by tying it the story, you've done something right.

TheDrunkNinja said:
Bob. You're 30. You were bullied when you were a kid.

Get over it. The rest of us "victims" already have. It's time you join us.
... I really have to agree with this. I mean, sure I... Sorta got razzed and whatnot. Nothing that bad, but... Seriously? Especially after seeing this movie, I can't imagine how embittered you'd have to be to root for the crazy killer kid... Jesus, I'm still in school and even though I din't get it that bad, I still realize that the whole bullying thing is just a really childish affair that should really be put behind you once you get to a certain level of maturity.

(Not to belittle anyone's experiences, I'm not saying you reach a certain age and poof, it's all fine, of course these things leave scars, Bob just seems to mention it an awful lot...)