Escape to the Movies: G.I. Joe - The Rise of Cobra

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
G.I. Joe - The Rise of Cobra

This week MovieBob takes a look at the action packed movie G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Watch Video

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
4.35 is the point of the trailer which made me go...Hmm didn't I see that in TF1?

It does look like a good pop corn flick where you can just mong out and cheer on the good guys though...

...I do wonder (read hope) if they will make a M.A.S.K. film though.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Now THAT surprised me. After they decided that they were not going to let reviewers get an early screening, I had pretty much assumed that this was going to be another Transformers. Whoopee! Now I wont be utterly pissed when My roomie wants to inevitably see it and drags me along!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
grinklehi said:
Now THAT surprised me. After they decided that they were not going to let reviewers get an early screening, I had pretty much assumed that this was going to be another Transformers. Whoopee! Now I wont be utterly pissed when My roomie wants to inevitably see it and drags me along!
Well, maybe it was all part of their plan to get everyone's hopes down, then make them happy when the bar is low.

I may have to see this, just to see an action movie this summer because everything else I wanted to see is out of the theaters already.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Oh god, its GOOD? PANDEMONIUM IS UPON US

Never expected it to be good judging by the failures of other comics and kid's toys getting turned into movies (yes I'm looking at you Transformers!)

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
Well hey that is cool. It is very rare when a movie gets it "right" so to speak. Most of Hollywood is too stuck up its own ass to realize how they should approach any given movie.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You'll forgive me for raising an eyebrow at this. Look, I'm not one of those hateful internet sub-people who think everything sucks, but considering Hollywierd's track record with nostalgic franchises (I.E., they've buttfucked every single IP they've gotten their hands on), I think I'm going to sit this one out and wait for the DVD.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
I still won't see this movie. I need a substantial plot for me to watch a movie and this just seems like a bucket load of random explosions.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Hmm.... If I can manage to turn off my brain of its run-time then it should be worth going to watch.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Color me surprised...if that is indeed a color.

I would probably go see this now if I wasn't going to be relentlessly teased by my girlfriend for doing so. :'(

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Unfortunately I still won't see it. If i suggested that I want to see GI Joe to my friends they would think I have become ill.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Wh... what? How is this possible? How could this movie possibly be good? I remember seeing the trailer and nearly bursting out laughing! I remember turning to a friend and saying: "Terrorists and ninjas? This movie must be good!" Ok, it has Christopher Eccleston playing a diabolical supervillain, but I still find it extremely hard to believe that it's worth watching. Unless, of course, this review was written just after MovieBob took his happy pills to counteract the Transformers-induced apocalyptic rage.

I'll believe it's good when I see it. Which I will probably have to now.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Where did Christopher Eccleston get all that futuristic stuff?
...Oh, wait...Nevermind :D

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Frankly, I'm amazed - G. I. Joe with the stupid G-suit things, and its good?! What the hell?! What is wrong with reality?!!!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
BlindTom said:
Unfortunately I still won't see it. If i suggested that I want to see GI Joe to my friends they would think I have become ill.
Crazy, I heard my friends talk about watching it and was about rock their worlds with insult to the movie, but i held my tongue. Apparently it was a good idea.

Now this is what I don't get. Movie Bob praises This movie while shitting on Transformers. I think he hold on to the source material too much. I mean he keeps comparing it to the originals and I'm thinking "Why?"

For most people they haven't seen the originals so there's no way they can give their two cents. I'll admit that Transformers was over the top with some stuff, but I doubt the action in this movie will top that of Optimus Prime T-bagging like four decepticons at the same time, though how unbelievable that is.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Im surprised. I was expecting a stuck up its own ass Team America without the parody, satire & humour. Now, who do I know that I can convince to see a film about action figures? hmmm...