Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

Aug 1, 2010
Well, I know nothing about the comics and I actually liked quite a few of the "Bad" movies you compared it to, so I'm gonna go give it a watch!

At least it's a good excuse to go eat popcorn for an hour and a half...

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
How did they fuck this up? The green lantern animated film was SHAWEEET! How can they not go from film to fucking film and not keep it good?

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
i personally liked it like hes right about it being shit but besides some really awkward moments where the actors pause for way too long its a good one time see

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
Well, this is the second review I've seen for the Green Lantern and it's almost a polar opposit of the other one I saw (from Jeromy Jahnes). He gave it a "pretty good but not grate" sort of review. Although he went in knowing pretty much zero about the green lantern before hand. He also commented that the effects and costume looked cool. Oh, and not to bother with 3D as the conversion isn't so grate.

Just whent and saw another one, Fury of the Film Fan was a little more down on it. Lamenting lost potential but he also said it was pretty good.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
The nurse at the hospital today said it was the best super hero movie he had seen yet, and he see's them all. I was like "Wow, that is great!! Did you see Xmen First Class?" and his response was that he did...but that it centered to much on history or something....and that he liked green lantern much more. Me and my wife "She's in the hospital right now" were excited to see it after that...and I couldn't wait to get home and see Bob's review...figuring it would be a great review.

I pretty much trust Bob though since his tastes (for the most part) seem to be very similar to mine. I've never been a green lantern fan to be honest (the whole yellow is his weakness really seemed silly to me) but I do like Ryan and Movie Bob had helped inspire me to want to see this as well.....now I'll just wait for DvD.

Least I haven't seen First Class yet (waiting for my wife to get out of the hospital) so I'll have something to watch instead:)

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I'm kind of wondering if any of the people giving this film positive reviews have ever seen good movies. I mean, really good movies. Anything by Scorsese, Soderbergh, or even Shyamalan at his best?

Green Lantern was a mess. Parallax was a lame, easily defeated antagonist. Characters reference Hal's dad, constantly, at no provocation. The obvious heel face turn (C'mon - he looks like space-Hitler and the root of his name is a synonym for "bad") has no diagetic justification. And it's heavy with really lame sounding exposition.

It feels like there wasn't any care put into the film. I'm not talking about care to appease fanboys; I'm talking about care to make a decent narrative. The only thing I liked about the movie was the training on Oa, and only mildly.

Imagine you never heard of Green Lantern before - would you have liked the film?

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
What a load of crap..Bob Shut up please! I despise that people will actually take your review as gospel. I hate your I'm a wounded little fanboy rants because it raped my childhood.(which I'm sure you got another one saved up for Dark of the moon because that's how lame you are.) Could you hyperbole any more. You couldn't be more of full of crap if someone teleported a truck full of manure into same space time location as you. You had little good to say coming in, so I wasn't surprised when I saw this whinefest. You seem to make up your mind before you see movies not after. So much for remaining objective.

Does movie have flaws...absolutely but there's nothing unforgiveable about it. (I'd say same for most films you say are SOOO terrible. I'd rather watch either fantastic four movie over the Dark knight again. My goodness that turd is so overrated.) There's some genuinely fun moments, and cool stuff to see. I'd rate slightly below Thor. Ultimately Green lantern like Thor is a hard movie to do since it's got some rather out there stuff in it. It definitely held back a bit as it's setting up for the Main Event...the sequel.(which you see in the credits.)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well that's a shame, Green Lantern is probably one of my favorite DC heroes...s. Here's hoping they never make a Flash movie.

Oh well, at least we still have Marvel movies. And Batman.

OddOzZy666

Jul 3, 2008
LOL, U Mad bro?

My thought on the film, as not only an avid film watcher, and an ex-reader of Green Lantern, was pretty positive.

Granted, there weren't as many fights or enough of Kilowog and Tomar-Re, but it was an impressive go at the Lantern, with all of the effects of Planet Oa and the rest of the Corps, it was gonna be a pretty bold move in my eyes, but I think they pulled it off well.

Moviebob however, has done a terrible thing and mentioned "The film with Shaq in it that shouldn't be named" See? I have the dignity not to mention it's name.

Also, with the two sequels green-lit already (No pun intended), I'm pretty sure that there will be more of what was wanted in those, and because of the secret ending, I am looking very forward to them.

OddOzZy666, The Snail Man, out.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I saw it without expecting it to be similar to the lore.

With that kinda look on it, its a B-movie, wasn't completely horrible if you looked at it without the comic aspect.

With the comic aspect though... Yeah it kinda sucked balls. Hard to even give it a C-rating.

albetia03

Dec 20, 2010
This movie seemed crap for the trailer, even the fan made one looked better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs), and yes, Nathan Fillion still looks like the better GL. Thanks Bob for saving my money and my time from this blockbuster emerald garbage.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Roger Ebert actually thought that this was all right. I'm guessing that MovieBob just got upset because it didn't conform to his expectations. :p Sure, it's probably crap, but it's still enjoyable crap, and not as utterly irredeemably shit as MovieBob made it out to be.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
I am going to say this, looking at the trailers and seeing the greenlanturns CGI/Not CGI suit i went yeahhhhhh no! it just looked like a joke, im seriously not surprised perhaps WB and DC should have let christpher nolan handle this one.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
so not a good film then!

Always knew it was gonna be shit! Mess with my favourite childhood comic and you are playing with fire!

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Bob the films been out for a day, how do you know it won't make money and get a sequel?

you and we don't know yet, save the money/sequel issue for one of your article later on when we have stats.