Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

Cellseam

Mar 28, 2011
I guess all we can hope is that people are so irritated with this movie they have to watch Xmen again to clense their minds. PLEASE dont make more money than xmen green lantern.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
That sounds disappointing. I usually like anything Martin Campbell does... oh well, can't win them all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PrinceofPersia said:
Casual Shinji said:
From the moment I saw the CGI costume, which looked like green licorice, I kinda had a feeling this wouldn't turn out too well.

btw. The new Superman is also going to use full CGI for the outfit... Way to go, Warner.
Ummm what happened to actually making costumes? Did the directors or producers fire the entire costume department or just say, "Hey lets save some money and just have the computer guys do that!"
From an artistic viewpoint one could say it's to remain consistent with the comicbook aesthetic. After all, live-action actors will never be able to look the same or have as perfectly fitted costumes as the comicbook characters that they're portraying. But I'd rather have a practical outfit with a few wrinkles here and there then a super-tight, muscle toned CG costume that looks like candy.

I mean, Christ, Spider-Man 2 could pull it off with plain ol' fabric.

LZeroK

May 25, 2009
As horrendous as it might be, there will be people that is going to like it.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Wow. SO im guessing he didn't like it huh ?

Hmmf, I was kinda hoping this would be the underdog movie of the year, but nevermind.
Ill go see it if my friends are but I wont purposely go see it.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Wow, I think I might need to see this just to see how bad it is.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART LISA!!!

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Bob, since I was genuinely looking forward to this and am now VERY disappointed, is there any chance you could do a video or article on "How to Spot Bad Movies Coming From a Mile Away"? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks if you do, and I understand if you don't. Moviebob is a busy man...

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
Just when I was beginning to be convinced this might be passable, the reviews start rolling in. The Green Lantern has the potential to be adapted into a great movie, pity that won't happen for a long, long time (unless this 'effort' somehow manages to turn a profit).

MrDefo

Jun 7, 2010
Well Bob, why don't you just go ahead and make a 7 part Youtube rant on why it's awful? Turned out pretty well for the redlettermedia guys.

It's sad to hear how awful the movie is, but WB will probably only take away from it that "geek movies are on their way out".

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
I don't much care for DC or Green Lantern but I actually enjoyed this movie. Much more so than X-Men First Class. Yeah it was full of cliches but I found it still pretty fun.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I just realized that the picture you used to portray Warner Bros. striking out, the baseball player is named "Reynolds". If that was intentional then bravo.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Wow, I think this is the first time we've seen Bob completely lose it about a movie. He's reviewed bad films before, but nothing has driven him into such a tyrade of anger until now. It's a real shame, after his Big Picture videos about the Green Lantern universe, I was sort of interested, and I'll give Ryan Renoylds some credit, as he has done some decent roles. Shit, him playing Wade Wilson in Origins was the only decent part of that movie.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I had a feeling just by loking at all the trailers leading up to it's release that Green Lantern would be awful. I thought that the movie studios were starting to learn that spamming the movie with CG does not make it a good movie. If I wanted that, I'd just go play a video game. It's especially dissapointing coming from Warner since they rebooted Batman and did such a great job of it.

I really enjoy Ryan Reynolds, I think he's a funny guy, like in Blade Trinity. Hopefully if/when he does Deadpool in his own movie, they'll do it right. He's called the Merc' with a Mouth for a reason.

Ragweed

Jan 18, 2008
Damn Bob, tell us how you really feel.

It's a shame. I had hopes for Green Lantern, even through the casting announcements and the gimmicky costume nonsense.

Oh well, at least there's Thor and (hopefully) Captain America to balance things out.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
My level of surprise at the fact that Green Lantern was bad: 0

Seriously, even the trailers clued us into the fact that it was going to be a heaping pile of shit.

Solon_Mega

Feb 7, 2011
Hey dude, these guys really broke your heart with this one eh? I can relate to that, I'm a Resident Evil fan.

By the way I'm hoping that someday the Escapist gives greenlight to a MovieBob show exclusively about comics. Have you no idea how many people have taken interest in comics becouse of the "Comics are Wiiiiieeeerd" section of "The big picture"? Many. And it's a lot of trouble navigating trought continuityville, but you make it seem worth it.

There is just TOO much to talk about, and you only get time to scratch the surface of the most mainstream characters. What about all those great but less known comics?

I know you always incourage us to just make our own shows and all, but this? This can only be done by a true paladin of Holy Nerdity. Hell, start a pool if you don't believe me.

So, here's wishing that you really read these coments, else I'm gonna feel silly. ^_^

*edit* Grammar why do you hate me?

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Geek_DR said:
honestdiscussioner said:
Strangely enough, while it's gotten shit reviews on rotten tomatoes from critics (21%), the audience has an 80%+ rating on it.

Since I almost never don't enjoy a movie, I'll probably want to see it.

Harry Potter comes first though.
That's because a good chunk of the population is stupid. These are the people who voted for Bush a second time, The people who rioted in Vancouver, and the people who will defend Duke Nukem Forever on every internet forum.
And none of those groups comprising 80% of the population in question.