Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
endtherapture said:
Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously.
I didn't catch any potshots at TDKR, then again I only listened to the review.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me given how namored Bob is with Marvel.
He basically says GotG is happy compared to the "punishing dourness and bloated runtimes" and showed two movies, one of which being The Dark Knight Rises.

In fact that's something I've always seen as weird about complaints towards that series. Haven seen The Dark Knight Rises for the first time last week I just didn't see this horrible sad atmosphere which everyone rags on about. I don't get why TDKR has went from "it's good but disappointing" to being awful in Bob's eyes, probably because he hasn't made two Big Picture episodes telling us how everything has fallen apart like he did with Man of Steel (another film I seen last week and didn't see all this gloom and doom everybody hates).

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Just got back from seeing it. Yondu was awesome, though I like anything Michael Rooker does...even Days of Thunder. He is like the perfect example of space pirate scum done right. If you want to mess with Yondu, give him a fat lip so he can't whistle and you should be good.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
RA92 said:
MovieBob said:
The conceit here is building a classic formula space opera of the kind that used to keep pulp sci-fi magazines and paperback bookshelves stocked to the brim...
Aaah, the kind of shows that were a staple of the '90s (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Red Dwarf, Babylon 5, Farscape, Andromeda, Lexx) - y'know, the decade that apparently sucks.
You know he has explained the 90's suck sign is meant for him personally and not other people, right? That it directly related to his experiences and he recognizes that there were many awesome things of that era.

OT: Yeah, the movie was great, though I may be partially biased because the audience was right up my alley. It was perhaps one of the most amazing theater experiences I ever felt.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This movie becomes available in theaters next week in my country so I'm rather bummed that I still have to wait that long to go and see it.

With that said..it's going to be glorious!

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Sanunes said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
endtherapture said:

I am thinking its when Bob said "That used to define the summer blockbuster before the dourness and bloated runtimes". He used a picture of The Dark Knight Rises and Bourne Ultimatum to describe the dourness and the latest Transformers to show bloated runtimes.
That last one confused me. Didn't he say he kinda enjoyed the last Transformers movie?

Or is this Man of Steel again, where the movie keeps looking worse in his eyes?

daxterx2005 said:
You think we're going to be plagued with tons of racoons plushies?
He looks very cute and marketable.
I would totally buy a Rocket Raccoon plushie.

FeralDynasty

The Lich King
Feb 2, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Um...I'd like to watch this vid, but unfortunately because it is currently in the form of "click on thumbnail to bring up new window that's not really a new window but is instead supposed to be the video surrounded by a frame that's one big XBOX One ad", it's not playing for me. Any chance we can ditch the use of the "vid by way of adframe" since it doesn't work for everybody?

CAPTCHA: downward slope

What Captcha said.

EDITKINESIS ALPHA: Okay, never mind. Apparently, "Escapist - Like Chrome/Hate IE". Still...work on that, guys. A Microsoft made ad should not be causing a Microsoft made web browser to not work properly.
Is there any real reason you're still using IE? Or not paying $20 a year for Pub Club? Because both of those are viable options.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Evonisia said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
endtherapture said:

He basically says GotG is happy compared to the "punishing dourness and bloated runtimes" and showed two movies, one of which being The Dark Knight Rises.

In fact that's something I've always seen as weird about complaints towards that series. Haven seen The Dark Knight Rises for the first time last week I just didn't see this horrible sad atmosphere which everyone rags on about. I don't get why TDKR has went from "it's good but disappointing" to being awful in Bob's eyes, probably because he hasn't made two Big Picture episodes telling us how everything has fallen apart like he did with Man of Steel (another film I seen last week and didn't see all this gloom and doom everybody hates).
I think Bob considers Batman the flagship for the "ultra-serious" motif that influenced a lot of similar movies that have come out since trying to follow its success to the point where simple fun and humor seem forbidden in mainstream moviegoing. I really don't think he hates it, just the fact everyone else wants to be like it and ends up making certain things grimmer than they should and ending up sacrificing certain emotional and logical beats to maintain the tone, like Man of Steel.

Speaking for myself and about GotG, I understand the aversion to constant darkness and could on some level appreciate how this one deliberately sabotaged every serious or heavy moment it set up for the sake of comedy; I almost believe this could be classified as satire. That said, dark or not a movie needs a good sense of emotional attachment and authenticity and a lot of the backstories and emotions they were trying to create just didn't work for me. I mean, Groot was fine - fantastic really and the one I believe is going to become the internet's favorite .gif come Monday (you'll know why when you see it) - but Drax and Gamora were mainly exposition dumps, declaring their backstories and trusting we'll just care that his or her family is dead and really, really meant a lot. On the whole the movie is a lot of fun, but it mainly seems to be concerned with only that. That's fine, but ask me what I'd prefer and I'll go straight to the Boat Scene from Dark Knight every single time - it's been how many years and that part is still the kind of disturbing, thought-provoking kind of magic I wish more movies had.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Really good. Not perfect, but it wasn't afraid to laugh at itself, and, to me, that's what counts in a comedy. Also, extremely quotable. :D
And yes, I would buy a Rocket Racoon plushie. :)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This movie was fantastic. It might even be better than Avengers. Go. See. It.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
I am admittedly biased, but I feel like Bob downplayed what this movie was able to do with the material it had to work with. This was my favorite of Marvel's movies to date, with Avengers and Winter Soldier close behind. That's probably due to my love of Sci-Fantasy and how closely this resembled other movies of that genre. One of the funniest movies I've seen this year, just a genuinely solid movie experience. Again, my opinion ;)

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I am sorry Bob, but Marvel did make a bad movie, it's called Iron Man 2 and I am ready to debate anyone who says I am wrong.

On Topic, the movie was great, I thought the villain was very stock and by the numbers but overall I really enjoyed it.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I'm only mildly interested in this movie but I'm very glad it came out just so I can stop bloody hearing about it. Oh look, 6 seconds of more footage; oh look, a production still; ads ads ads ads ads ads ads.

Actually, never-mind, I just saw there's an article on the main page talking about the sequel.

Juan Machado

Apr 18, 2011
To me the break-out character was Groot. It was mostly the little moments that made me love him like when he gave the girl the flower and when he released the fireflies.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Shameless said:
I am sorry Bob, but Marvel did make a bad movie, it's called Iron Man 2 and I am ready to debate anyone who says I am wrong.

On Topic, the movie was great, I thought the villain was very stock and by the numbers but overall I really enjoyed it.
I watched Iron Man 2 the other day. Seriously, it's SO far from a bad movie. The wit and humor is there, the action is great, it has Sam Rockwell owning it as Justin Hammer, eases us into the new Rhodey, was a great debut for Black Widow, and planted plenty of seeds for future movies.

It is not a bad movie. I wouldn't even put it at the bottom of the Marvel pile. I'd still even rank it higher than Thor and Incredible Hulk, neither of which are bad movies either.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. You want to see BAD superhero movies? Binge watch Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Fantastic Four 1 & 2, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Blade: Trinity, Jonah Hex, Steel, or Batman & Robin. Even at its worst, Iron Man 2 was still leagues better than those abominations.

Back on topic, I was tad disappointed James Gunn said he wasn't a fan of Nova, since he's pretty much THE hero who put Marvel Cosmic back on the map, and was originally in the first draft of the script. I'm still holding out hope Richard Rider shows up at some point (both in the movies and once Marvel remembers him in the comics... I haven't seen a character screwed over that hard right in their prime in ages).

The movie scratches the right itch... but I have so many more Cosmic Marvel hero itches to scratch. Adam Warlock, Nova, Darkhawk, Quasar, Ms. Marvel...

... And if Marvel and Fox could get alone, we could've REALLY gotten the Dark Phoenix Saga we all deserved.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Trishbot said:
Shameless said:

I watched Iron Man 2 the other day. Seriously, it's SO far from a bad movie. The wit and humor is there, the action is great, it has Sam Rockwell owning it as Justin Hammer, eases us into the new Rhodey, was a great debut for Black Widow, and planted plenty of seeds for future movies.

It is not a bad movie. I wouldn't even put it at the bottom of the Marvel pile. I'd still even rank it higher than Thor and Incredible Hulk, neither of which are bad movies either.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. You want to see BAD superhero movies? Binge watch Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Fantastic Four 1 & 2, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Blade: Trinity, Jonah Hex, Steel, or Batman & Robin. Even at its worst, Iron Man 2 was still leagues better than those abominations.

Back on topic, I was tad disappointed James Gunn said he wasn't a fan of Nova, since he's pretty much THE hero who put Marvel Cosmic back on the map, and was originally in the first draft of the script. I'm still holding out hope Richard Rider shows up at some point (both in the movies and once Marvel remembers him in the comics... I haven't seen a character screwed over that hard right in their prime in ages).

The movie scratches the right itch... but I have so many more Cosmic Marvel hero itches to scratch. Adam Warlock, Nova, Darkhawk, Quasar, Ms. Marvel...

... And if Marvel and Fox could get alone, we could've REALLY gotten the Dark Phoenix Saga we all deserved.
Just because Iron Man 2 isn't as bad as movies you mentioned doesn't make it less bad. Wiplash is one of the worst villains in Superhero movie history. And the original Thor at least had a good origin story for Loki and while the Incredible Hulk had a terrible villain too, I still wasn't as bored as I was in Iron Man 2.

Dec 16, 2009
in the comics, don't the Nova Corps have something called the Nova Force? make them able to do Superman style stuff. wonder why that element was cut out?

Dec 16, 2009
Trishbot said:
You want to see BAD superhero movies? Binge watch Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Fantastic Four 1 & 2, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Blade: Trinity, Jonah Hex, Steel, or Batman & Robin. Even at its worst, Iron Man 2 was still leagues better than those abominations.
ouch, that is one horrible list. I forgot how bad things could be. s'pose punisher should be in there too. not the 80's one though :)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
V4Viewtiful said:
Any self respecting comicbook nerd should know what was in the post credits scene, I couldn't stop laughing it was so shocking XD
I'm going to take a stab and say it was Howard the Duck, given the sudden rush of speculation we got on him the week leading up to release.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Saw the movie today.

It was quite good.

I would have liked to learn a bit more about Rocket and Groot and how they met. But other than that, it was a fun movie. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel and perhaps crossover with the Avengers.