Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Brian Tams said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Any self respecting comicbook nerd should know what was in the post credits scene, I couldn't stop laughing it was so shocking XD
I'm going to take a stab and say it was Howard the Duck, given the sudden rush of speculation we got on him the week leading up to release.
Ding ding ding! You are correct, sir or madam!

Unless it was a throwaway gag - and I really hope it is - this could be the movie that ends Marvel's streak. I am not excited about another Howard the Duck movie.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Great movie, I'd put it under avengers but above the Thor movies, its a lot of fun. more fun than it is good but because it's so fun it makes up for a lot.

As far as Batista goes, as a guy who's been watching him since wwe he's always had this weird kind of honest charisma about him. even when he was playing a bad guy you could tell he was "playing" a bad guy. he's done a great job as drax but everyone in this movie is good. rocket has some of the best lines though. groot steals the show particularly at the end right before the credits.

this movie, like all marvel movies really, makes a great point as to why marvel is whooping DC movie-wise. even if these movies weren't better than the dc ones, which they are I mean marvel is handing DC it's own ass on a silver platter with pineapple slices and a cherry sauce, these movies are FUN and so much more upbeat than the dc movies. what does it say when winter soldier was probably the darkest thing marvel has done so far and it is still more brightly colored and upbeat than man of steel? the movie about captain America's side kick being turned into an unstoppable emotionless assassin is LESS dower than the movie about superman revealing himself to the world and trying to "inspire" humanity to greater heights... seriously dc just tap-out and stick to animated movies. you're 10x better than marvel at the animated stuff.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Robot-Jesus said:
Metaphor?
That thing Drax cannot comprehend. He's like that super-serious person everybody knows that takes everything they say on its literal interpretation and not on actual usage. This makes for some good comedy when Starlord starts throwing out old skool colloquialisms that everyone but Drax at least somewhat understand.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
marioandsonic said:
That last one confused me. Didn't he say he kinda enjoyed the last Transformers movie?

Or is this Man of Steel again, where the movie keeps looking worse in his eyes?
Having a bloated runtime or even being considered dour doesn't make it a bad movie, its just describing the movies characteristics. I don't have the desire to go back and rewatch his review of Age of Extinction, but I am pretty sure during it he also mentions it ran long.

Its why I don't consider it a dig when including the poster from Dark Knight Rises when calling movies to have become dour. For Dark Knight Rises does feel dark and gloomy to me and I didn't mind the movie there were just a couple of elements I wish that weren't there.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Just got back from seeing it. It was very good, but not blow me away good. The biggest issue I had with it wasn't that there was humour, or even that there was a lot of it, it was more that a good portion of the humour was super groan worthy predictable. When the jokes hit, they hit hard and well. When they don't, however, it's often because you saw the punchline coming like a slow moving ship coming over the horizon. I also don't know that I really left the theatre instantly wanting to see more of these characters outside of Rocket (who damn well stole the movie).

If I had to rank the Marvel movies, I'd definitely be putting Guardians below Avengers and the first Cap but maybe on par with Cap 2.

Oh, and boy did the after credits teaser suck. It was only marginally funny and said absolutely nothing about what was to come in the universe.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Shameless said:
I am sorry Bob, but Marvel did make a bad movie, it's called Iron Man 2 and I am ready to debate anyone who says I am wrong.

-snip-
Not really disputing you on Iron Man 2, it's definitely not the belle of the ball, but I don't see how you could single it out for badness above (or below, you know what I mean) Thor 2 or Iron Man 3. No question they've all got their good moments, but I think we have to rank T2 & IM3 as the bottom tier.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Shameless said:
I am sorry Bob, but Marvel did make a bad movie, it's called Iron Man 2 and I am ready to debate anyone who says I am wrong.

On Topic, the movie was great, I thought the villain was very stock and by the numbers but overall I really enjoyed it.
Eh, I don't think he means bad as in the movie was good/bad. More like on critic reception and box office. Iron Man 2 wasn't great by any means, but it wasn't bad. It was merely an OK movie was some decent quotes and still did well in the box office. Think Transformers 2 or the like for what bad is going to mean here.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Just got back from seeing it and it is a real mind blower, I would have to rank it equally with Avengers and just above Winter Soldier as being the best comic movies to date.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
I had the same nagging feeling of "it's going to end" when I watched Pixar movies.
That's different IMO. Whereas Pixar made their name creating new and interesting universes, Marvel is just adapting an already pretty well fleshed-out universe. It was kind of inevitable that Pixar would exhaust their best creative ideas and end up in sequel purgatory. But with Marvel, sequels are kind of what you sign up for from the start, and the universe is much more elaborate and expandable than Toy Story, Cars, etc. that pretty much just worked off of one central gimmick/premise.

captcha: "we go forwards"...pretty much sums up the difference for Marvel, while Pixar just started going round in circles.
Yeah, but this is the company that came up with Civil War, killed Captain America (and...gasp...later replaced him with a black person), had Peter Parker sell his marriage to the devil, and so on. The worry is that someone's going to get the idea for something like that.

And one day, that might happen. But for now, I'ma enjoy the ride and not sweat the future.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
in the comics, don't the Nova Corps have something called the Nova Force? make them able to do Superman style stuff. wonder why that element was cut out?
The Nova Force is a gravity based energy projection. Sort of like Green Lantern. They didn't necessarily cut it out. It looks exactly like the shield net and gravity beams the Nova Corps ships used in the movie. I believe whenever they introduce the more powerful Nova Centurions to the MCU, their uniforms will be able to use the gravimetric powers instead of lesser officers having to use their ships like they did in GOTG.

In the trailers I was genuinely concerned that the Nova Corps were just lackey prison guard types. But I think Marvel is just trying to make a concerned effort to distance them stylistically from the Green Lantern Corps. If they go deep into Cosmic Marvel we HAVE to have Richard Rider.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Good goofy space action/comedy fun.

Off the top of my head, the closest comparison I can come up with is 5th Element.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
PunkRex said:
This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.
If they do
Howard the Duck
and give him his own movie, they could do ANYONE. I want a Squirrel Girl movie now. That stinger is going to have so many fans salivating because nothing is off limits now, ANYONE from Marvel could be in a movie (except the characters owned by rival studios of course).

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Ok i'll say it: Better than the avengers. I loved absolutely everything about GotG. Its been soooo long since we've had a proper space opera that wasn't all grit, dour, or midichlorians. A movie that hopefully remind the world that sci-fi can be fun too.

If i have 1 complaint its the lake of non-hominid aliens. But i'm nitpicking there.

jobocan

Apr 13, 2009
Bob asked where this might end... but I wonder if he saw the after-credits scene, because it's very possible that they've already shown us where the streak will be finished.

No spoilers, just saying.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
impocalyptic said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.
Stingers weren't at press screenings this time around, if that's how he saw it. That wasn't released until Aug. 1st

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
PunkRex said:
This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.
If they do
Howard the Duck
and give him his own movie, they could do ANYONE. I want a Squirrel Girl movie now. That stinger is going to have so many fans salivating because nothing is off limits now, ANYONE from Marvel could be in a movie (except the characters owned by rival studios of course).
That character has always been a joke character to some extent, at least in Marvel continuity. Even his comic series focused more on other characters than himself - a 4th wall breaking cosmic character long before Deadpool (though I think concurrent with Animal Man)

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
revjor said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
in the comics, don't the Nova Corps have something called the Nova Force? make them able to do Superman style stuff. wonder why that element was cut out?
The Nova Force is a gravity based energy projection. Sort of like Green Lantern. They didn't necessarily cut it out. It looks exactly like the shield net and gravity beams the Nova Corps ships used in the movie. I believe whenever they introduce the more powerful Nova Centurions to the MCU, their uniforms will be able to use the gravimetric powers instead of lesser officers having to use their ships like they did in GOTG.

In the trailers I was genuinely concerned that the Nova Corps were just lackey prison guard types. But I think Marvel is just trying to make a concerned effort to distance them stylistically from the Green Lantern Corps. If they go deep into Cosmic Marvel we HAVE to have Richard Rider.
I CAN TOTALLY SEE A RICHARD RIDER NOVA MOVIE NOW. Set now. With jokes toward video games and blockbuster fanboys (kinda wwhat Rider was before becoming Nova). Largely because

THat's how he's recruited

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Juan Machado said:
To me the break-out character was Groot. It was mostly the little moments that made me love him like when he gave the girl the flower and when he released the fireflies.
Yeah, he was just fantastic when you think about how little they had to work with. My favorite scenes with him though were the one in the prison and the wonderful ending scene with Drax in the background xD

I loved all the characters in this movie. I thought Gamora was the one with the least to do in the movie, but even she was charming enough. Rocket Raccoon was the one that stole the show for me though. His performance dwarfed gollum for me. And that is saying something.

Honestly, when all was said and done, I just wanted to rewatch it. Hell, I might just catch it another time on sunday, it was that great.