Escape to the Movies: I Am Number Four

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Hmm. If the guy were good looking I might give it a shot.

Actually, no. As long as that gag-inducing romantic interest is stuck in like a superfluous liver recovered from a recent corpse, I'm staying the Hell away.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
This was a pretty good review. Also, since I watched it today, and since today is the 20th...

Happy Birthday MovieBob!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Happy Birthday Mr. Chipman! I hope it's a wonderful one!

OT: You have officially made me want to see this film. I was thinking it would be exactly along the lines you said it turned out to be. It doesn't look "good" but it does look like fun. Much like the G.I. Joe movie was fun while not being "good".

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
TBH the movie actually was pretty good if you stop trying to analyze everything and just watch it. Seriously, I think that's probably the problem with 90% of critics/wanna-be-critics. They look for faults so much, they simply can't enjoy something.

Schreck157

Apr 14, 2009
The explosions in this movie are really cool towards the end, but that is seriously all the movies has to offer. Wouldn't movies usually be condemned for having nothing else to offer besides some cool special effects? The first hour of this movie was miserable, and I definitely remembered how awful that hour was by the end of the movie. I mean transformers has some really cool explosions too, but anyone with decent movie taste would not hint that other people should go see that movie. I don't see this movie any differently.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Yeah the movie didn't look too good from the trailers I saw and you pretty much confirmed my prediction. Although, I figured the second half wouldn't be as good as you made it out to be.

On a semi-related note: OMG I SAW THAT PICTURE AND I REMEMBERED WHAT TENCHI MUYO WAS AND THEN BAHHHHHHHHHHHH

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Sovereignty said:
I've heard that a lot... But TV just isn't the same as movies (At least not for me.) And he deserves more big pictures!
Well, if you are an Olyphaunt fan, and you are not watching Justified, you are doing yourself a giant disservice. Sometimes TV can be better than movies, since you can have more details and a longer, more developed storyline and characters because of the longer length.

NathanS

Jul 13, 2009
I'm slightly disappointed at the lack of 'a The Prisoner' joke in this one, I mean the title is crying out for it.

Sep 14, 2009
haha wow i thoroughly enjoyed this, especially the power ranger references, but overall i am surprised that you did end up liking the end, in which the way you put it was perfect.

i might give it a whirl if im bored on the weekend, thanks for confirming my suspicions

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
Hey MB, I've heard you use the terms "First, Second and Third Act" before. Is there a sort of rule for delineating when the first act ends and the second begins? What do these terms really mean? I vaguely remember something from high school where all Shakespeare plays have 5 acts and the climax occurs in the third, or something, I can't remember.

buhee

Jul 6, 2010
Sounds like the rosewell high tv series crossed with some other weird alien tv series i remember watching once. either I'm probably not going to see this, it looks cheesy.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
so its not good nor bad, and when i saw it the trailer on youtube i was llike "eh...looks shit more wheres my trollhunter".

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I'm still wondering why he chose the hipster chick over the ninja alien babe on a Ducati. There were some serious sexual undertones between the two.

Also spoilers.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Okay, I can say it for you then, Bobber. "I didn't like it."

I'll say this, as a movie I am Number Four would be best described as that one friend it seems almost everyone has a friend that has. He sure as heyall -highrah isn't your friend... It's that guy that you have no idea why your friend hangs out with, a total jerk, all style no substance, ubiquitous 'straight person', whatever. You will try to be understanding, try to be accepting but it is so perplexing, there's nothing there to the guy. You'll ask, you'll demand an explanation maybe, 'what do you see in that guy?' but they'll always have the same defense for him, "he's a really okay guy once you get to know him." That movie's about the same. Your friend will say the same and you may try to get to know him (sic- watch the movie), but halfway into the process your head will be hurting too much from wondering 'why am I doing this again?' to keep up the effort and you'll just give up and go watch something else...

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
Redem said:
Nah nah that's not smallville that's roswelll
Exactly what I was thinking. This is basically the story of Roswell in movie format.
Can't say that's a particularly terrible thing though, I remember really enjoying Roswell.