Escape to the Movies: John Wick - Keanu Kicks Ass, Takes Names

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't watch the Age of Ultron trailer, but from the bits shown here I have to wonder why the Avengers are fighting each other again.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I found this movie okay. Kind of made me wonder when was the last time I saw a Jason Stathem film before The Expendables happened.

hermes200 said:
Wait... the bad guys "beat up his dog"?

That has to be the most weird revenge movie justification in quite some time. It is so preposterous it could pass as a parody of the genre...

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I didn't watch the Age of Ultron trailer, but from the bits shown here I have to wonder why the Avengers are fighting each other again.
I think everyone is pissed at Tony Stark because he built Ultron (in the film at least) - That's what I've gathered from watching the trailer and reading Wikipedia. Why everyone else is kicking off I couldn't say, but I hope they do something else. The first Avengers was two and a bit hours that felt like six. James Spader gives me hope though

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I actually don't care what anyone thinks about the Avengers trailer. I think it looks awesome, and I don't mind the dark turn these things sometimes take.

John Wick surprises me a bit actually. I always like Keanu Reaves, but his movies have been questionable lately. Though... Punisher Warzone was a horrible movie. So... that throws me off a little bit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
anonymity88 said:
canadamus_prime said:
I think everyone is pissed at Tony Stark because he built Ultron (in the film at least) - That's what I've gathered from watching the trailer and reading Wikipedia. Why everyone else is kicking off I couldn't say, but I hope they do something else. The first Avengers was two and a bit hours that felt like six. James Spader gives me hope though
Well that makes sense. ...sorta. I mean I'm sure Ultron going all nuts and taking over the world was not part of Tony's plan.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
hermes200 said:

That has to be the most weird revenge movie justification in quite some time. It is so preposterous it could pass as a parody of the genre...
No, they kill his dog. It happens in Shooter as well. One of the bad guys says that he killed the guy's dog, and the guy says he's going to regret that. It makes sense if you ask me. If someone hurt one of my cats, I would hurt them back. Badly. For a lot of people, pets are family. It's no different for them than if you harmed their children. Given that Wick is a hitman and therefore has a taste for violence, I think it's very believable in how he reacts.

Atraira

Mar 29, 2011
BOB.

Please please P L E A S E stop throwing 30 seconds - 1 minute of trailer or movie footage to just run before and/or after your review.

We're here to see YOU. We're here for YOUR opinion. Stop padding 2/5 of your running length with stuff that I'm just going to go over to YouTube to watch afterwards anyway.

Stong Bad warned us about this [http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail155.html]. Knock it off!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Just got back from seeing it. It's definitely a movie that doesn't really offer many surprises in the actual action, but the world building was really impressive. It literally felt like I was watching something based on an established manga or comic book. There just seemed like there was so much to the world beyond what was shown on the screen, which is very rare for this sort of movie where it ends up feeling like the entire world would stop existing the moment the hero wasn't there.

Atraira

Mar 29, 2011
sooooo just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity, I timed out the latest few consecutive episodes and then turned the clock back a few years (read: I clicked page 10 because it seemed like a good middle-y number) and did the same. Both time periods feature a mix of movies bob thought were good, bad, and ok/forgettable.

yeaaahhhhhhh.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Evonisia said:
Given that the episode was filled with filler, I get the impression that the film is just good but in a boring way. Not much to say about it, but given that it is an action film I don't expect anything else from it, and I might check it out when I get the chance.

Edit: 2000th post, woo!
absolutely not the movie is anything but boring. Its just very straight forward and a lot of fun.

However we need to get this director a Marvel film. Either Punisher or Moon Knight.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
hermes200 said:

I guess he really liked that dog.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Verlander said:
The Avengers trailer sucked, let's keep it real. Disappointment of October for me
Agreed, it was an absolutely terrible first impression of a movie I'm going to see regardless. This trailer makes the Avengers feel like another dark and brooding Batman flick. It's setting a tone that's probably not indicative of the actual movie going experience (I would assume).

In addition it makes Ultron appear 'weak' by establishing him as an awesome villain and then showing us like a bunch of him. If the 'threat' is that he wins by numbers than it's the exact same threat as Avengers one but without a Loki big bad :/

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not a follower of the comics and have had almost no exposure to Ultron. This trailer failed to impress someone in my position.

Note to Bob: You have another show where you can talk about whatever you want. You have a movie podcast that's perfectly suitable for this as well. Please, please, please stop filling up this show with unrelated filler. The title of the video is specific as to the nature of the content. That is what people came here to see. In the future we'll have no easy way to know what video game your opinion on the Age of Ultron trailer AND we'll have movie review talking about a trailer no one cares about anymore. It just comes off negatively any way you look at it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Oh no! Doge!

I keep on wishing this was directed by Tarantino though, he does fantastic revenge fantasies.

ThetaReactor

Apr 21, 2010
The terse fight choreography is actually giving me a big Collateral vibe. It's a nice change from the usual half-assed running and diving shtick.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
A dead.... dog? Well I guess that's somewhat different from your usual wife/girlfriend/daughter. Not sure if it's supposed to be a parody of that awful, awful trope or played straight-faced or what, but thanks to that I might actually see this instead of writing it off as yet another dopey revenge fantasy.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
My father-in-law's dog was actually shot by a drunken neighbor a few years ago. He still can't talk about it without convulsions of anger. I'm relatively certain that if my father-in-law were a retired sociopathic hitman, rather than a retired genial mortgage banker, that he'd have gone hunted down his neighbor for revenge. People's feelings for their dogs are INTENSE.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I'm disappointed to not hear anything about Alfie Allen's performance. I've always thought that his capability in Game of Thrones was seriously underrated, and I'm really interested to see him in other roles. It would have been nice to hear whether his acting is up to par when surrounded by so many bigger names in a major film release.