Escape to the Movies: Kingsman: The Secret Service - Can Lightning Strike Again?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Kingsman: The Secret Service - Can Lightning Strike Again?

Can the creative team behind Kick Ass do it again?

Watch Video

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
This film should have gone so much further.

Rather than just showing Obama's head getting popped they should have shown his family as well as the aftermath of everyone in the world going psycho for 15+ minutes. For instance kids and babies being killed in hospital maternity and day care centres as adults slaughter everything then after it wears off the mass suicides of people coming to there senses and finding themselves covered in their children's, other people's children or just other people's blood.

Sigh so much horror potential not used still a great film though.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
My Dad went to see it and he said it was fun and I too really want to see it but I just cannot stand the way Chavs talk, it simply pisses me off. Plus the guy has a very punchable face.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Perfect timing to be reminded that it's good as I do intend to watch it tomorrow.

Hmm, I wonder whether the Spider-Man thing will be relatively controlled (maybe just an article or two or perhaps a Big Picture episode). I doubt it.

On a barely related note, I hope this film has some kind of ridiculous action sequence to allow the beauty that is this video (based on Kick-Ass) to be replicated.

lastoflancas

Aug 17, 2009
I'm still not sure if Bob liked the movie because the church in-fight scene or he liked it despite the church in-fight scene. In other words, if this movie was a multiple course meal, I am not sure if the scene was the next dish in his course that he loved or the big cherry on top on his dessert. For me, if the movie did not have the scene in question, he might have given the movie "Good" or "Better than Other Movies of Late" rating, rather than "Really Good Movie. Go See It" rating (which is the vibe I got from this review).

On the side note, I also would like to see that scene. Some people just need to have their senses knocked out cold, even in fiction. >:D

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I was half expecting Bob reviewing 50 Shades of Grey this week. It is far outside his comfort zone, and he most likely hates it on principle alone, but it is already poised to be the biggest cinematographic event this year (outside of the geek pop culture).

OT: I had no idea of this movie, but I will have to pay attention to it now. The Kickass movies are full of issues, but at least they are effective when it comes to indulging in guilty pleasures...

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Dammit why do people keep using Lancelot (A french Import character) and Galahad as the two go two knights. Show some love for Gwain.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I couldn't help but notice that there was no video transcript with a star rating at the bottom for this video. It is also the only video in a few months whose subtitle is ambiguous about MovieBob's opinion of the movie. I can't help but feel this is not a coincidence.

BonGookKumBop

Feb 24, 2010
So this movie caught my attention because I am a huge fan of the old Avengers TV show (that's Steed and Peel, not Spiderman and Iron Man). I'm surprised that, despite the show's obscurity, I haven't heard any comparisons yet. The trailers reminded me of my favorite episode, "The Correct Way to Kill" (which can be found on Hulu). The mostly positive reviews of Kingsmen give me hope that they might try to make a good remake of Avengers. The 90's movie was fundamentally flawed in writing, tone, and casting. Ralf Finnes and Uma Thurman are great actors, but they don't fit the roles. Finnes isn't the happy-go-lucky Steed that only cares slightly more about the hidden spy than where to find a good Chardonnay and Thurman isn't Mrs. Emma Peel (pronounced Miss S-M appeal), the strong independent woman who stays calm and collected in every situation while saving Steed more often than he saves her.

Anyway, interested in following this movie and seeing if more like it follow. Thanks for the review Bob.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
lastoflancas said:
I'm still not sure if Bob liked the movie because the church in-fight scene or he liked it despite the church in-fight scene.
I think he said that it's well executed pandering.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Gizmo1990 said:
My Dad went to see it and he said it was fun and I too really want to see it but I just cannot stand the way Chavs talk, it simply pisses me off. Plus the guy has a very punchable face.
Yeah, when I saw the first ad that put me off too, only after hearing several good reviews including this one am I considering changing that stance (and that the film supposedly has a pug at one point), I know he'll get on my nerves anyway but it may be worth it >.>

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I'm really starting to hate Moviebob's misanthropy. The Westboro Baptist Church may be terrible people but they're still people. I don't have to like them to not want to see them murdered. (an image in the spoiler not a spoiler for the movie)

Apr 5, 2008
Wow...*one* movie has an American villain and British good guys, and Bob can't handle it. The number of movies where American goodies wail on a British villain is frankly so high it's gone beyond cliché, but one that reverses it and it's a huge deal.

I thought it was a very enjoyable movie, well worth the watch.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Wow...*one* movie has an American villain and British good guys, and Bob can't handle it. The number of movies where American goodies wail on a British villain is frankly so high it's gone beyond cliché, but one that reverses it and it's a huge deal.

I thought it was a very enjoyable movie, well worth the watch.
Eeermmm... which is basically what he said... did you actually watch the vid?