Escape to the Movies: Lawless

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I feel kinda bad for Jason Clarke, every trailer/advert doesn't even seem to mention him, its all Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Shia LeBeouf and although I can get on board with two out of three of them it still seems a little cold.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
scott91575 said:
I have to say this. Shia LeBeouf was never a potentially good actor before all that stuff happened. He did Disturbia. That is all (besides a bunch bit parts and Disney crap), and honestly I never got what people even saw in that role. Yet let's give him credit for that. Then he did Transformers (awful), Indiana Jones (beyond awful), Eagle Eye (awful), Transformers again (more awful), Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (made me want to jab knives in my eyes and ears), and now this (which I have not seen, so I can't comment yet). He is to acting what boy bands are to music. Something completely fabricated, with little or no real talent, forced on us by the powers that be and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Maybe that is not his fault and he actually has some talent I have not seen, but I have yet to find an actor that keeps getting big roles that makes me cringe at his "acting" as much as him.

IMO Shia LaBeouf has personified much of what is wrong in Hollywood. Mind you, it's not his fault. Yet he still is the poster boy of the terrible things going on in Hollywood right now.
To be truthful there's a lot of actors like that. Taylor Kitsch, Channing Tatum, Taylor Lautner. Once these teenage stars reach their mid 20's they have to decide if they want to become legitimate actors, fade away, or continue trying to be a teenager magnet they're not anymore. Depending on their choices they could turn into the next Leonardo DiCaprio... or the next Christian Slater... or worse, the next Michael Cera.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
As much as I would like to think of Labeouf having quality as an actor, he along with Patenson are actors I just don't want to waste time watching, much less contributing to their stay on the silver screen.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
hermes200 said:
Blueruler182 said:
Jersey Shore may be cancelled, but the rest of reality TV is still there. My superiority complex is just fine.
As long as MTV keeps their current course, I can always indulge my superiority complex by pointing and saying "pretty much all this..."
And that's why I hardly ever watch MTV anymore. They broefly tried live-action comedies and bringing back Beavis & Butt-head, but I don't know what happened to that. As for the movie itself, it reminds me of Public Enemies, and that was cool. I might check out this one.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Pyrian said:
Callate said:
I'll take a moment to stand up for "Premium Rush"...
Seconded. Great little movie, lots of fun to watch.
I'm going to third this I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. JGL makes you give a shit while Michael Shannon does indeed steal the entire movie. Go catch a matinee.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Little Duck said:
Are you not reviewing brave then? Out of curiosity.

Also yeah, will check out robot and frank if it comes my way. I am still a bit on the fence.
Demoliboy2 said:
Hey Bob, will you review brave? I always enjoy your Pixar reviews and I wnted to know if Brave is up to notch. Thanks in advance.
First of all, you people (yes, "you people" keep posting this every week) are about two months late.

Second, you're two months late in getting told he already did review it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss]
First of all, it pretty much just came out in Europe and second of all... fair point well made.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ehehe, I have got to see Frank and Robot... and good to hear Shia isn't playing the annoying douche role for a change.

Onm the topic of Jersey Shore, I'm actually happy it's been cancelled, the mere fact that it existed was depressing to me for so long, now we just need ot get rid of that Kardashian thing and we'll be on the right track.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
Don't worry Bob, over in the UK we have a show were we can feel superior by not watching it, it's called Geordie Shore and is currently plaquing the airways which is enjoyed by your typical ignorant douchebags who think anyone who doesn't go out to clubs every night, drink heavily and have sex with every random girl/boy they find is a loser and in a shocking twist, it is actually worse than Jersey Shore. Luckily for you Americans, they don't show it in the US (I think anyway), but if it ever does come to the states, a word of warning

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!
When I see adverts for that program I am sorely tempted to somehow own a shotgun so I can put it between my teeth and pull the trigger just to make the 30 secs ad finish faster.

But in all seriousness, in that show even the MEN are orange, not just the woman, which while not exactly to my tastes is still fairly common.

blanksmyname

Aug 2, 2009
Man, I was so looking forward to another Hillcoat & Cave collaboration. The Proposition was amazing and I was really hoping this would be too, so I'm a tad disappointed. Still, good but not great is still good, so I'll be sure to see this. Nick Cave needs to do more movie stuff, be it as an actor, composer or writer. I'm not fussed, just as long as he's doing something.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
I might be interested in seeing Frank and Robot as a rental. I doubt that it would play in my area. And Lawless also might get a rental from me, but that is all, as I do not go to that many movies.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
WanderingFool said:
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
Also, the Jersey Shore is canceled? Maybe this world isn't as bad as I thought it was.
Maybe this will shut those, "I lost all faith in humanity!" people up finally...

Also, can someone remind me who Bret Ratner is again. Is he the guy that did GL?
No, he did X-men III.
It was not that bad

Sep 17, 2009
-edit-

Of course the only movies that Bob knows these two actors from are Indiana Jones and Batman...

In any case I probably will see this movie regardless. Strong cast.

EDIT: OH MY GOD SO SORRY I QUOTED THE WRONG PERSON SO SORRY

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I just have to say that the description of this weeks episode:

Indiana Jones' son and Bane are teaming up to hustle moonshine.

Somehow sounds like an amazing unbelievably silly movie that I would LOVE to watch. It's just so incredibly silly.

Like Darth Vader and the Joker team up to save old theatre building.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Yay! Am I the only one to notice Bob's shoutout to Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf?

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
Don't worry Bob, over in the UK we have a show were we can feel superior by not watching it, it's called Geordie Shore and is currently plaquing the airways which is enjoyed by your typical ignorant douchebags who think anyone who doesn't go out to clubs every night, drink heavily and have sex with every random girl/boy they find is a loser and in a shocking twist, it is actually worse than Jersey Shore. Luckily for you Americans, they don't show it in the US (I think anyway), but if it ever does come to the states, a word of warning

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!
I thought that show was called "The only way is Essex", nothing is worse than that.
Imagine an army of Katie Prices... on the other hand, don't, imagining it is horrendous enough.