Escape to the Movies: Lawless

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
So Bob liked Cosmopolis, huh? These guys most certainly did not:

http://www.spill.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1278

They pretty much said that it was a bunch of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual, boring bullshit. Then again, many people said the exact same thing about The Tree of Life, and that was Bob's favourite film of 2011. I tend to generally trust the Spill Crew more than I trust Bob (for the most part).

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Safaia said:
Pyrian said:
Callate said:
I'll take a moment to stand up for "Premium Rush"...
Seconded. Great little movie, lots of fun to watch.
I'm going to third this I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. JGL makes you give a shit while Michael Shannon does indeed steal the entire movie. Go catch a matinee.
Agreed. I caught the matinee and I would gladly watch it again. I really liked it.
Liked it more than Lawless actually.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Kmadden2004 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Just to be part of the chorus:

NO NO NO NO NO!

Bret Ratner cannot be allowed to make any more comic book movies. EVER!
It gets worse. Much worse.

McG is also on the shortlist to direct JLA...
Annnnnnd now I've thrown up in my mouth. *grrk*

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So Shia isn't playing that same character he plays in every movie he is in? you know the fast talking know it all? <.<

I am most excited about that Robot movie.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Callate said:
I'll take a moment to stand up for "Premium Rush", which I just caught a few days ago. It's not going to change your life, but it definitely doesn't deserve to get tarred with the same brush as crap like "Gleaming the Cube". It's coherent, both in plot and in action, with some genuine adrenaline-spiking moments and a real physicality so often absent in the era of flea-on-meth editing and excessive CGI. And while the characters aren't much deeper than they need to be, they also aren't generally "who dropped you as a baby" stupid like so many half-considered action movie characters. It's a perfectly decent late-summer action offering, and it won't make you feel like you've sacrificed brain cells to see it. Give it a whirl.
I'll back this statement. It was paced well and didn't leave you in a lull at any point. I would compare it to Unstoppable in regard to the WTF of the premise, but it works. Pacing and escalation were the things that made both of these movies work. Rush isn't amazing by any stretch, but I think it is worth your movie dollars if you're going to a theater playing it.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
So Shia isn't playing that same character he plays in every movie he is in? you know the fast talking know it all? <.<
No, he is still a fast-talking know-it-all, but things actually result of that fast-talking. Watch and see.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
ewhac said:
First thought after reading Jersey Shore got cancelled: "What's Snooki going to do now to support her child?"
I'm sure she will get a Vivid contract offered to her. No worries.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
doublenix said:
DTWolfwood said:
No, he is still a fast-talking know-it-all, but things actually result of that fast-talking. Watch and see.
arrrgg...yeah knowing that makes me even less interested at this point :( Just wish he could play a different character for once.

Thanks for the info tho.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
doublenix said:
DTWolfwood said:
arrrgg...yeah knowing that makes me even less interested at this point :( Just wish he could play a different character for once.

Thanks for the info tho.
He was by far the most annoying part of the movie, no doubt. However, I'd still recommend it based on Pearce and Hardy. Hard was pretty good and Pearce was great.