Escape to the Movies: Les Miserables

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm sorry, but the unstable accent is really distracting. I like the standard voice, but it's getting to the point that it would be better just to stick to the natural accent.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Frybird said:
Mr.Tea said:
I'm already biased since I fucking hate... nah, what's stronger than hate? Oh, I megaloathe musicals. But seriously, why couldn't they make a real movie with this?
Because they already did...like...a bunch of times. Hell, there are even Anime Adaptions. You can pretty much pick by country and length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_Les_Mis%C3%A9rables
I will say that one should avoid the Liam Neeson version as it pretty much becomes a train wreck the farther along it goes. Among other things it involves Javert holding a gun to Cosettes head and Valjean seeing Javert commit suicide(by walking into the Seine...from the riverbank) and then walking off with a big-ass grin on his face.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
A film adaptation of the book might have been interesting to me. Kind of a cool time period and perhaps a really bright writer could adapt the film to something fitting modern taste. But a film adaptation of a Broadway musical just isn't my thing. About the only musical I can stand is Rocky Horror even if musicals are an important part of film history.

The film just feels too much like a money grab than something Hollywood did as art.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
I'm already biased since I fucking hate... nah, what's stronger than hate? Oh, I megaloathe musicals. But seriously, why couldn't they make a real movie with this?

And then it had to star Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman... I don't think they could have made this film less appealing to me.

Edit: OH! And then there's having to listen to anglophones keep pronouncing French names... Oh how much better it (and indeed any movie) would have been with Cristoph Waltz.
Well because they already technically did made it into a normal movie. About 12 times before. With the 1998 version having Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. It was pretty good I thought. Then again that was 12 years ago so I can't say for sure.

Point is, there are superior versions out there.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
I just really wish people stop calling Les Misérables "Les Mis" other than that I don't really care about this movie...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I think Bob would have liked the movie more if Zack Snyder directed it and Cosette was dressed like Babydoll from Suckerpunch...

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm still going to go see it. I'm taking my mum because she loves the musical. (Had to tell her she can't sing along really loudly in the cinema and start telling me everything that's happening).
I've never really had any interest in it but I love this cast list. Hathaway, Jackman and Bonhem Carter are some of my favourite actors so I really want to see it.
This will be the first time I've seen it. It'll be interesting to see what my mum thinks of it because she's seen it about 3 times on stage in London and every DVD version.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Mr.Tea said:

And then it had to star Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman... I don't think they could have made this film less appealing to me.

Edit: OH! And then there's having to listen to anglophones keep pronouncing French names... Oh how much better it (and indeed any movie) would have been with Cristoph Waltz.
Because the musical is more popular and there are way more people who really like musicals than not.

OT: That's a shame, was thinking about seeing it. Maybe I'll watch it after its out of theaters.

Captcha: Make haste. No, I don't think I will.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
1:43 - 2:30
Dear christ, WHAT! I thought Bob's comic summarys got convoluted.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
the only thing I have against this movie when i was watching was I got bored during (though I got bored right around the same time in the book and when i saw it on stage) and it was a slow to get into for me. I liked the start well enough but once they got to anne hathaway I checked out till right around the point where the students are starting to prepare for battle and doing all their meeting stuff.

other than that it was pretty good.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Frybird said:
...I don't like the notion of "I don't like musicals" though, because i very much think to hate Musicals in General you either gotta hate Singing or Movies.

I love Little Shop of Horrors, Repo, Once, The Rocky Horror Show, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (wich 1: Shut up, it's totally a Musical and 2: Is in many ways a Parody of Les Miserables as much as it is one of Disney Movies), Reefer Madness and Perhaps Love as much as i H A T E Moulin Rouge, Nine, Cats, Rent, Glee, Mamma Mia and Rock of Ages. Even those wich i like oftentimes cannot be more different from one another, so yeah, i think saying something like that seems like a rather uninformed opinion.
Growing up in a town where our main attraction is our children's theater and our high school shows its odd to hear people NOT be obsessed with musicals half the time; when you've grown up seeing and being in pretty much every musical in existence its simply hard to believe someone can't like musicals.

I find it as hard to understand as racism.

Clankenbeard said:
Frybird said:
...I don't like the notion of "I don't like musicals" though, because i very much think to hate Musicals in General you either gotta hate Singing or Movies.
Musicals are like going to a bar. I never really get the urge to go, but once I get dragged there I have a good time. For me, the music heightens the emotion of the scene and has a tendency to "lock it in". Hearing the song in the future brings back the emotional state of the acted scene pretty easily.

As an old straight dude, this frightens me more than I can say.

Love your avatar by the way! Scary Smash! Joss was a real sport for squatting through that one.
That's the best part of musicals, a good stage actor/singer can convey emotions ten times better through singing than anyone can through voice.

It sends shivers up your spine, in a good way.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oooh, MovieBob doesn't like a piece centered and adapted from a stage musical, how edgy! What a bold defiance of expectations!

Seriously, Bob? You're complaining that a film adaptation of a musical highlights the songs too much? Do you complain that the beach has too much water? Yes, the film is long, but it's not exactly a short piece to start with. If the intent was to focus on them actually singing their lines, why would they need to putz about with visual flair when all the the flair they need or want is that this is a musical, where the audience wants to see and hear them singing. Cosette and Marius do kind of just fall together, but if you're seriously perturbed that the "true love at first sight" thing happens in a dramatic piece as a plot device to get the characters together in a piece where the romance isn't anywhere near the biggest thing going on, then I would suggest that you're projecting your occasional boorish attitude towards Amanda Seyfried onto a film that doesn't want it. Yeah, I get it, you're a film critic, and you're judging this as a film. Newsflash, bucko, anyone who actually wants to see it isn't going to see it the same way they see other films.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
T3hSource said:
Your accent slipped out a lot more than usual this time Bob,it's kind of unsettling and creates inconsistency.

EDIT: I'm not saying Bob's accent creeps me out,quite the opposite,I'm saying the quick jumps between his normal speech and broadcasting voice just distract me.
Seems to only happen with movies he feels are really crap. I noticed it too, the more agitated he gets about talking about a bad movie the more the accent slips. Oh well, adds a bit of realism to the review if you ask me. Am suddenly reminded of Ted though.

As for the movie, my mom actually wanted to go see this. I'll have to dissuade her and suggest another, like that new Del Toro horror flick coming out.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I knew that this version would stink. The only film adaptation of this story I liked was the one that came out in the 90's staring Liam Neeson.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Mr.Tea said:

While I am in agreement with your statement I couldn't help but enjoy your Dr. Cox (Scrubs) reference. I'm just surprised you didn't drop a Hugh Jackman quote in there beside it.

Also... Why would you cast Hugh Jackman in that role? He's never had the chops to pull off a role as strong as the lead in Les Mis. At least get some kind of European actor to lend a little gravitas to his dialogue.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Frybird said:
Mr.Tea said:
Because they already did...like...a bunch of times. Hell, there are even Anime Adaptions. You can pretty much pick by country and length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_Les_Mis%C3%A9rables
I will say that one should avoid the Liam Neeson version as it pretty much becomes a train wreck the farther along it goes. Among other things it involves Javert holding a gun to Cosettes head and Valjean seeing Javert commit suicide(by walking into the Seine...from the riverbank) and then walking off with a big-ass grin on his face.
Odd you say that since I adore the hell out of that version.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Poor fans of musicals. More than fans of most genres, they seem to be stuck in the quagmire of: "You didn't like this musical? Then you clearly hate musicals and therefore I don't have to listen to your criticism of this musical!" That's not a productive argument, people.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Les Miserables

See if MovieBob thinks that Les Miserables is really that miserable.

Watch Video
To be fair to the work done on this film, I think what we have are a handful of performances that are absolutely masterfully done... just done masterfully in the wrong medium, perhaps. However, there are non-artistic concerns to consider here:

1. These movie adaptations are often intended to restore interest in their properties. It's basically an advertising campaign, in a sense. And there's nothing wrong with that, really.

2. Tons of people have no time, money, or local opportunity to catch these things on stage, and recordings of live performances of the musical are often pretty awful... so much that it's intimidating for people to wade through the bad ones in hopes of catching a good one. This allows those people the opportunity to see the full musical with (for the most part) a great cast.

3. It is entirely possible to praise a work of art in one regard and hate it in another. Consider a song with incredible lyrics but dreadful music (or vice versa). Many of us feel the movie is phenomenal "for what it is," which I know is a phrase you dislike. But there is occasionally a value in engaging a work in its own terms, rather than measuring yards with meter sticks and complaining when things come up short.

Now, critiquing it as a musical movie, I'd have to say:

- Russel Crowe was a complete and total mistake, as he brings no redeeming qualities to the role. He looks, sounds, and performs badly as Javert.

- Samantha Barks plays it safe on the ONE NOTE that every girl dreams of singing on Broadway. That's nigh-unforgivable, even given how great the rest of her performance was.

- The "in yo' face" camera technique, I agree, was a waste of good opportunity. Only Hathaway and Jackman got their mileage out of the extra face time.

- But Jackman was his least expressive during Valjean's most expressive song ("Bring Him Home"). I think Jackman was too worried about the range, and forgot to act there. This stands out only because of how stellar the rest of his work was.

- Hathaway. Fucking. Killed. I've loved that song for years, but I have never cried at it. I bawled this time around. Finally, someone that was willing to make it the ugly, desperate cry it was written to be... but still maintain the beauty and fragility that make it resonate rather than repel. Definitive rendition.