Escape to the Movies: New Moon

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Oh god, the bleeps..! Make them stop! No one else get's bleeped on this site (especially one particular game reviewer who wears a sweet hat) so what gives? Did Bob impose the bleeps on himself, or is there someone else to blame...?

Bleeps aside, thanks to MovieBob for unmasking this rubbish for what it truly is... rubbish.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Trivun said:
Chrissyluky said:
Trivun said:
slopeslider said:
New Moon sucks. Im suprised so many older teens and college girls go for this stuff.
I do and I'm a nineteen year old guy. I was planning to see it tonight except a friend (also a guy) who saw it last night said that although it was decent, the amount of screaming fangirls made it less enjoyable, so I may wait until an adult screening is done at the local cinema (i.e. 18 and over only). Have you actually seen it, or made an attempt to see it? If so then your opinion is fair and noted. If you haven't made an attempt to see it then what right do you have to criticise it?

And yes, I do like things like Dracula as well. I simply don't agree that Twilight 'ruined' vampires. Although for all the things I like about the series, I still don't like the 'sparkly' vampires idea.
Because as steven king put it. stephanie mayers books target a teen girl audience that is not yet ready to deal with their emotions without being too overly sexual. meaning it targets pre pubescent girls. her writing is awful and the movies are even worse. This movie does more damage than that book "the loveliness of woman." even though its not real i assure you it would do far less damage than this PoS.
You make a fair point. However, that is simply Stephen King's opinion. I appreciate that it's an opinion shared by a lot of people, but at the end of the day, it's still an opinion. It's fact that she writes badly, but if I enjoy it then that's up to me. Anyway, even Stephen King probably read the book before making that statement. It's like people complain about Jack Thompson making comments about games he hasn't played, then proceed to bash a book they've never read, just because everyone else is. Not having a go at you or anything, but I still maintain that if you make a comment on something then you should at least have tried to gain some sort of experience regarding whatever you're commenting on.

Oh, and as for the pre-pubescent girls being the target audience, I actually hate all the screaming fangirls. That's a major reason why people hate Twilight without even looking at it, and they basically give a really bad name to the actual fans (i.e. the moderates like myself who can accept another person's dislike of the series). The fangirls make me want to rip my ears off. Which is why I'm leaving in forty minutes to watch this film, late at night (UK here), in a special adults only screening at my local cinema. It's either that or wait until Sunday and get deafened by the screams of 14 year old girls who want Edward Cullen to marry them and suck on their open wounds. Seriously, those people are psychos and need to be locked up... :s
no the majority of the writing world views her as a joke. stephen king is one of the few who was quoted saying it. The majority of good writers do not care for her books at all and say they do well because they target the right audience.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
And I thought I was just being thick when I said I hated the first movie. And I ended up watching it twice.

All in all, its a series of romance novels and flicks. If you don't like that sort of thing, then don't read or watch it. I'm not going to.

Why the hell do they sparkle?

Snooch_to_the_nooch

Sep 25, 2009
Of all the faults that Twilight has, sparkly vampires ranks up there as on of the worst sins to commit when coming up with your version of a mythical creature. Why can't we have more vampires like Kain in the old Eidos Legacy of Kain series? If your vampires are not going to instantly die in the sunlight at least give them some kind of weakness, otherwise they are an unstoppable force that has no use for moral issues because they could kick your face in. Honestly I don't understand why the vampire organization in this book series hasn't overthrown the world and humans are reduced to blood bags in a collection facility. I also love how my sister likes to point out that the werewolves in the book aren't really werewolves, they're some form of anamorph creature...that only turns into a wolf...well its a big wolf. My sister's weak argument aside the author didn't have the ovaries to just call them werewolves, and that's kind of sad.

Now I'll admit, I have not read the books, and why would I? I can get a better fantasy story from a Terry Pratchett novel, but if this is the kind of story telling that these young audiences are going for these days I got to say I'm not looking forward to the future of fantasy because these big selling novels are what inspire tomorrows writers.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you!! MovieBob thank you! see people a professional doesn't think it's any good, a professional!!! That mean sthat it isn't good!!!

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Snooch_to_the_nooch said:
I also love how my sister likes to point out that the werewolves in the book aren't really werewolves, they're some form of anamorph creature...that only turns into a wolf...well its a big wolf. My sister's weak argument aside the author didn't have the ovaries to just call them werewolves, and that's kind of sad.
Traditionally werewolf's are people who turn into wolfs. The whole Half-man beast form thing was introduced by 20th century pop culture.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Terramax said:
ColdStorage said:
Whoa, looks like a hit a nerve there. Enjoy giving your money for cliched, girlie pap.
I'm sorry , what part of my comment sounded like I gave a shit about Twilight?.

I like the way your comments are based on a critics review, not the source material.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
dubious_wolf said:
Thank you!! MovieBob thank you! see people a professional doesn't think it's any good, a professional!!! That mean sthat it isn't good!!!
Oh wow, someone's opinion is that the series sucks. So, because his opinion, excuse me, professional opinion is that it is bad means that I shouldn't like it? Is that it? I'm sorry that I am not of the same opinion as that of many other people this world over who think that sappy, cliche'd romance novels and movies are bad and therefore shouldn't be read/watched.

You know what? I like "Twilight", I loved "I Love You, Beth Cooper", I adored "The Lake House", and I still get giddy whenever there is a love story in a game/book/movie/song. I'm a sucker for romance, I love cliche'd, overused, too-good-to-be-true romance, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I understand that these things that I enjoy are bad. Sometimes, they are downright awful. Twilight was terribly written and is a horrid movie, but I still like it. I enjoy these atrocious books and movies because they cater to my interests. I could give two shits whether it was well done or not. If the story intrigues me, you bet your ass I'll be reading/watching it.

People like you who think that just because some guy who reviews for a living says something is bad, it is need to step back and realize that your opinion doesn't need to mimic that of everyone else. Sure, I know that it's cool to hate, so what. The people who hate "Twifags" are just as bad as those fans who cut themselves and ask Robert Pattinson to suck their blood.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
amen bob amen, why are people taken in by this crap? Edward's basically ur man from high school musical with fangs! who could make vampires annoying? WHO???!?!? even Lestat was a bigger man then edward.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
22yr old male and i like twilight. that said i also like anime and the two do seems to share various similarities. I honestly believe that many people simply hate on twilight to be different or cool. the acting is fine, the effects are fine and whilst nothing is ground breaking, it IS well done and well made thus why its so popular.

also, the beeping was annoying as shit.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Terramax said:
It's depressing to know that this stuff will continue to be sold for generations to come whilst stuff by real geniuses like that of Studio Ghibli will largely be ignored.

*sigh*
At least Spirited Away is/was really popular.

I would make a comment about the Twilight series here but at this point is it really necessary?

Soren91

Jul 27, 2009
To be honest I wouldn't have that much hate for Twilight if I could just be allowed to ignore it like I want to. Instead, it seems that if you know any female at all right now you're going to hear about this horrible book series and the movies based off of them. So like MovieBob I studied my enemy and found it to be one of the worst decisions I made recently. I would have rather hated on this series blindly than actually reading it had I known just what lay ahead. MovieBob did a good job reviewing it for what it is though and for that I thank him.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Gxas said:
dubious_wolf said:
Oh wow, someone's opinion is that the series sucks. So, because his opinion, excuse me, professional opinion is that it is bad means that I shouldn't like it? Is that it? I'm sorry that I am not of the same opinion as that of many other people this world over who think that sappy, cliche'd romance novels and movies are bad and therefore shouldn't be read/watched.

You know what? I like "Twilight", I loved "I Love You, Beth Cooper", I adored "The Lake House", and I still get giddy whenever there is a love story in a game/book/movie/song. I'm a sucker for romance, I love cliche'd, overused, too-good-to-be-true romance, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I understand that these things that I enjoy are bad. Sometimes, they are downright awful. Twilight was terribly written and is a horrid movie, but I still like it. I enjoy these atrocious books and movies because they cater to my interests. I could give two shits whether it was well done or not. If the story intrigues me, you bet your ass I'll be reading/watching it.

People like you who think that just because some guy who reviews for a living says something is bad, it is need to step back and realize that your opinion doesn't need to mimic that of everyone else. Sure, I know that it's cool to hate, so what. The people who hate "Twifags" are just as bad as those fans who cut themselves and ask Robert Pattinson to suck their blood.
I never said you couldn't like it. i never said you can't have your opinion. don't put words in my fucking mouth! I just want to make sure that you recognize it for the shit that it is.

Snooch_to_the_nooch

Sep 25, 2009
dubious_wolf said:
Settles down spaz, his opinion doesn't matter because he's a professional movie reviewer. In fact, none of our opinions matter in the eyes of the fans. They will still blindly go and dole out money to see this shit forever jading their idea of what a compelling and beautiful story really is.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
dubious_wolf said:
I never said you couldn't like it. i never said you can't have your opinion. don't put words in my fucking mouth! I just want to make sure that you recognize it for the shit that it is.
No, you never said I can't have my opinion. I'm sorry, most of that post was directed, not at you, but more at the rest of the thread. However, if a professional says something is bad, and I think it is good, why should I change my opinion? If it is good in my eyes, who cares what others think.

There, now you have the reasoning behind every fanboy in existence.