Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity

ThePantomimeThief

Nov 9, 2009
Up until the last 15 minutes I though it was an adequate horror movie, like a more refined Blair Witch without the 'terrifying' rock piles and stick men. Then the last 15 minutes scared me the most since I saw REC.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I watched it the other day. I did't think it was scary.Not once did it make me jump or worried what's around the next corner. It's better than the other horror films that have come out this year thou.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Watched the film before the review. I agree on most points, but for one: tripod.

I have never walked out of a movie before, and in this case I walked out several times due to motion sickness. This is the only time I've ever experienced motion sickness watching a film (and I enjoyed Cloverfield, as well as other "found footage" films).

Any scene in this film that is not using a tripod feels like the cameraperson has cerebral palsy.

I'd still recommend the film, but not profusely as the hype made it out for more than it could promise.

Bonus for the movie: I live in an apartment that is part of an old building with lots of unused, unlit rooms. I experienced plenty of paranoia after the film because of my living situation (especially with all the normal tenants and land lady being away for a few weeks).

Woem

May 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
Paranormal Activity

MovieBob takes on the phenomenon that is Paranormal Activity.

Watch Video
I saw this movie yesterday and I agree with the review. I just wanted to add one thing: in the intro you make a reference to Quarantine, which surprised me. Quarantine is indeed not a very good movie, but that is mainly because it is an American remake of the Spanish [REC]. I'm also glad that the first sequel will be [REC] 2 (coming out this month) and not Quarantine 2, although I'm sure that one will be remade as well.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
To all of those who said they were scared by this film, my question is:
Are you all 12 year old girls?
By the time I had endured 30 minutes of this pretentious yuppie drekk I was bored out of my skull!
This film is not scary, not horror, not entertaining.
In short it is mind numbing,sleep inducing slobloxx.
If you are suffering from insomnia, or otherwise can't sleep, stick this on and less time than it takes to watch the video review, you'll be off to the land of nod to sleep like a baby.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
i saw this before it was released in the US when you had to ask for it! I saw it at the Neptune in Seattle and at such a unique theatre and with such a nice crowd i think i got the best experience for this MOVIE! It was scary but not to scary and i must say i left happy! The really scary moments everyone in the theatre was screaming there heads off mostly the girls and um well the Neptune was originally ment for operas and stuff so yeah it was 2X as loud.. I left with my ears ringing..

Jakabus

Oct 22, 2009
aawe... i just watched Paranormal Activity in the comfort of my pitch black house at 2 in the morning by myself and was very dissapointed =(

Spydiggity

Feb 28, 2010
Right...so i've been coming to this site for quite a while but never felt the need to register. But, after watching this review, i simply could not help myself. This movie was JUNK. pure crap. I'd say it's as bad as Blair witch, but i'd be bringing down blair witch. i mean, shit, even that movie had a setting that extended beyond a town house. nothing happens in this shit show the ENTIRE time sept for some sheets moving and a fast forward of a chic staring at a dude. then, it ends exactly like blair witch...finally showing some action that lasts a whole 4 seconds only to leave you with no answers. i do agree with you, bob, about not wasting time to view a saw movie (they're all crap too), but again...at least something happens in those movies. they might be little more than 80 minute cinematic dry heaves, but you actually do get to watch stuff happen. paranormal activity is just another prime example of what cinema has been reduced to, and a testimony to how incredibly fuckin stupid and desperate to be entertained people have become.

EvilGamer89

Dec 24, 2008
I rented PA on regular DVD but played it in my PS3 with an HDMI link to my 52 inch LCD TV and surround sound (100amp sub-woofer too). The ending to this movie when the body gets thrown at the camera made my friend try to jump over the back of my couch to get out of the way, i laughed so hard. But anyways the bass chord to indicate something "paranormal" going on was great expecially with the sub-woofer. Must see movie even if you only watch it once.

xemnahort

May 15, 2010
I honestly think that my experience with this movie was the scariest because my brother's girlfriend (and I'm not the only one to notice this) looks EXACTLY like Katie. That scares the shit out of me.