Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
J03bot said:
You know what? I liked this film. It was fun.
Screw the blatant cashing in, ignore the fact that it comes worryingly close at points to a remake of the first film, and focus on this one fact - it's fun. It's Johnny Depp, being Jack Sparrow. If you even vaguely enjoyed the other 3 films, that's probably why, and this is more of that.

And Geoffery Rush is still an awesome pirate, and hasn't changed half as much as MovieBob suggests.

If you liked the previous 3 films, go see this. If you didn't, don't. Simple. I actually thought it was better than 2, and quite possibly better than 3 as well. Nothing Curse of the Black Pearl though
That's exactly how I feel. I went and saw it tonight and while it doesn't bring too much that is new to the table it was quirky fun which was all that really mattered. I had a good time seeing it with friends and it is much better then a lot of other recent movies I had to drag myself through so overall I enjoyed it and thought it did what most people expected it to do.

---

As for the video review, all his criticisms I feel are on target but it just seems he was expecting something more then what it was... a cash grab that was also just quirky fun.

I have a friend who "reviewed" it on facebook and she can't get over the fact that "OMG its not realistic and Hawaii doesn't look like the Caribbean." I just kind of want to shout at them that Voodoo, Blackbeard's powers, or most of the stuff from the first three aren't realistic either and PotC isn't meant to be a historically accurate representation of piracy.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
ZeoAssassin said:
just got back from seeing it...i disagree Bob, your a bit harsh on whats really an alright movie...

i mean it has its problems of course but it was still fun. maybe this is because i HATED the fact that all the supernatural stuff was shoved right in my face during the 2nd and 3rd movies. i mean lets face it Davy Jones doesn't exactly look like a subtle character with his fish crew and the Kraken CGI looked like shit to me anyway.

this is why i loved the first one so much, the curse was subtle and took its time before revealing everyone as cursed skeletons.

i think that's why i liked stranger tides, everything was somewhat reasonable compared to the over-the-top-ness of the 2nd and 3rd. mermaids were fine and the fountain didn't have any BS magic CGI sparkles coming out to indicate it working.

that said the the priest/mermaid romance was completely pointless and the Spanish didn't really do jack except show-up seem to ***** about God not wanting magic fountains and arbitrarily creating a dire situation for the climax, but hey i enjoyed what it was.

PS: oh and for those who saw it (don't worry not a spoiler) the scene that made me WTF, Jack runs down the stairs in an effort to escape, runs past a guard knocking down his hat and running off screen. The guard proceeds to realize who he was and calls for help, than he proceeds to PUT HIS GUN AND SWORD DOWN ON THE FREAKING TABLE before running after Jack...who was hiding under the table and steals the weapons from the dumb-ass guard...wtf was that? could they not have a scene where Jack just knocks him out and steals his shit instead of the worlds most retarded royal guard? i mean come on!
I also loved the movie but the scene that did that made me WTF was *HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!* when Angelica tried th get the sword out of her father, but instead of using the freaking handle of the sword she decided to pick it up by sliding her palm other the cutting edge as if saying "please cut my hand", but except for that, one of the best movies I've seen

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Schindler's List reference there at the end. I don't know though, while Muppets are obviously an absolute good a modern day film doesn't excite me. Movies like this seen to target my nostalgia and beat it into a bloody pulp.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
What? No! I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean movies!

I don't know, I hink I'll hae to see this for myself, it can't have fallen that far, and I've disagreed with many people on these movies, so why not Moviebob?

Riggnarok

Nov 3, 2009
I enjoyed it, but this is after only seeing the 1st movie and getting bored halfway throughout the 2nd and not bothering with the 3rd.

I saw it out of sheer boredom and a time passer, and it did a good enough job for that, and even without seeing the full trilogy I could tell it was a poorly done cash-grab. Still, if you're not uptight or care about the storyline, it's an entertaining movie. Enough laughs to keep me interested at least.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You're saying Get Him To The Greek isn't funny? And that Russell Brand is the main character?

U MAD?

Other than that, yeah. Cash in movie is not very good. Figures.

ErythorbicAcid

Apr 17, 2009
This is such a bummer. I loved the first 3 movies. They just built off of each other until this rich world and mythology came about. What and effing shame. I can't wait until Hollywood figures out that good movies bring in sales.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm glad my sceptism was deserved.
I was suspicious of the film when:

a) I had no idea it was even being made or coming out.
b) Kiranightly and Orlando Bloom weren't even in it.
c) It seemed to be a "LOL CAPTEN JACKSPARROWW" film.
d) Due to the above point, it gave the impression of shallowness.
e) I thought the series was resolved by the third film.

*edit* For the people who say it's an alirhgt film to see when bored. Perhaps, go and watch some other movie. Like online. Least you won't have to pay to see it if it's substandard. For example, the Lord of the Rings extended versions.

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
scw55 said:
I'm glad my sceptism was deserved.
I was suspicious of the film when:

a) I had no idea it was even being made or coming out.
b) Kiranightly and Orlando Bloom weren't even in it.
c) It seemed to be a "LOL CAPTEN JACKSPARROWW" film.
d) Due to the above point, it gave the impression of shallowness.
e) I thought the series was resolved by the third film.

*edit* For the people who say it's an alirhgt film to see when bored. Perhaps, go and watch some other movie. Like online. Least you won't have to pay to see it if it's substandard. For example, the Lord of the Rings extended versions.
What if some of us genuinely like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
I liked the first 3 movies. And honestly i really enjoyed the 3rd one. But this was such a major disaster its hard to even describe it.
Jack Sparrow didnt lose his charm just everything around him was so lame that it was hard for him to make a significant impact on the movie. The comedy was lame and forceful and the story was retarded. But most importantly it was presented in a lame way. The adventure was super boring and not a single scene made me hold my breath. This truly was a cash miliking of the fans.

Seriously it looked like bunch of people going on a LARP with some holywood quality costumes! Damn i bet some LARP fans could make better movies if they had the same budget. Come to think of it the movie`s budget must have been quite low since the producers knew that people will swarm and still see it because of Mr. Depp. Oh well im pretty sure there wont be a 5th one after this. Even with the mention of the jewels that control tides and winds. It wouldnt make sense to have a 5th movie....god pls dont let them make another one :(

LordOrin

Feb 19, 2009
If anyone cares, the book that this is allegedly based on, On Stranger Tides, is pretty awesome and helped inspire the Monkey Island franchise (which in turn helped inspire the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise). I hear the movie's plot isn't very similar though.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Azmael Silverlance said:
I liked the first 3 movies. And honestly i really enjoyed the 3rd one. But this was such a major disaster its hard to even describe it.
Jack Sparrow didnt lose his charm just everything around him was so lame that it was hard for him to make a significant impact on the movie. The comedy was lame and forceful and the story was retarded. But most importantly it was presented in a lame way. The adventure was super boring and not a single scene made me hold my breath. This truly was a cash miliking of the fans.

Seriously it looked like bunch of people going on a LARP with some holywood quality costumes! Damn i bet some LARP fans could make better movies if they had the same budget. Come to think of it the movie`s budget must have been quite low since the producers knew that people will swarm and still see it because of Mr. Depp. Oh well im pretty sure there wont be a 5th one after this. Even with the mention of the jewels that control tides and winds. It wouldnt make sense to have a 5th movie....god pls dont let them make another one :(
The budget was pretty high, considering they had to pay Johnny Depp $55 million alone.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
I'll probably see it anyway. Why? I think pirates are pretty awesome. Ok maybe when it's been out on dvd for a while. Actually, I think I'll just rent it...

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
It can't be that bad, right? I'm probably gonna go see it tonight so I'll let y'all know what I think later.