Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
Thanks for clearing up the British/English thing at the beginning, I don't know who it offended but it was very decent of you.

Great review as always, I'm going to have to see this over Robin Hood next week.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
First good videogame movie?

Well, I may be alone in this, but I thought Silent Hill was fantastic, it did a great job of getting the atmosphere of the games across with enough fanboy moments to keep me happy without alienating non-fans.

Also, Hitman was... OK.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Tarkand said:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.
Well it doesn't look that bad I think the new A-Team movie has potential. Movies like Splice and Inception look pretty cool, plus we get Toy Story 3 which is probably the best news for the summer

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
The end of Lost was so awesome! I have no idea what Bob's complaining about. You got closure on everything, and you left with genuinely good feelings about every character. I don't see the problem.

I couldn't care less about the Prince of Persia movie. Bob wasn't excited enough to convince me to go.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
The first Resident Evil movie wasn't that bad, I mean it wasn't great but I can watch it and not want to tear my eyes out the entire time.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So I just saw the movie, and right now I'm thinking two things:

1.) I'm an idiot for not realizing the bald, bearded guy who wears black all the time is the bad guy.
2.) I get why MovieBob said most people would hate the ending, but I actually didn't mind it so much. In fact, I thought it was a fitting ending.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, for me at least it was better than iron man 2.

MB202 said:

1.) I'm an idiot for not realizing the bald, bearded guy who wears black all the time is the bad guy.
2.) I get why MovieBob said most people would hate the ending, but I actually didn't mind it so much. In fact, I thought it was a fitting ending.
I liked the ending.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Hollock said:
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, for me at least it was better than iron man 2.

MB202 said:

I liked the ending.
Glad I'm not the only one.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
MovieBob said:
Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7615-Stealing-From-the-Next-Generation].

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-to-the-Movies/374853431247].

Watch Video
You've heard the argument about how Persians are actually ARYAN so I won't bog you down with what you've probably been hammered with already. It's just so frustrating because even Iranians say their ARYAN (i.e. White) so when critics keep talking about how they want more Middle-Easter looking actors its racist.

Anyway, casting George Clooney as Mario is a TERRIBLE idea, Mario is lively, energetic, and has a personality. Clooney is none of those things, he's wooden, dull, and a cardboard cut-out of an A-list Hollywood star. Why? Because women and gay men find him attractive. Only his looks keep him around. He's like Hugh Jackman minus the the wide range of acting capabilities and talent.

Anyway thank you for not spoiling anything. Shalom. ;)

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Bob, that wasn't a review or a critique, I don't know what that was. It came across more like a forum post. Back up your statement that it's good with some damn facts. Folks, if you want to be entertained AND informed, please go to spill.com. Honestly, I freaking love the Game Overthinker, Bob is a smart guy, but Escape to the Movies will rarely tell you anything of use. I'm sorry to rant like this, but even Yahtzee will tell us why something is bad, and occasionally, why something is good.

OK, got that off my chest. Yay.

Several of us have brought up some game movies we liked. This isn't the first good game movie, perhaps it'll be the most bankable, who knows. Silent Hill is my personal favourite, and I watched it before playing any of the games, and boy was I impressed after playing the games. The writing was strong, the actors were convincing, effects were great, the colour pallet was morbid, and it did indeed capture the spirit of the game, down to the map reading.

A lesser film, Resident Evil, was also a good. They took their work seriously, giving us an interesting female lead (I enjoy Alice, it's rare Hollywood allows us a strong leading female who isn't a *****) and most of the time, convincing character interaction. A shame the franchise was soiled by that utterly cheesy sequel. I suppose the third was ok, but then, I haven't played the games, so I look at these as a zombie horror fan. On the upside, it is bankable, so obviously it's connecting with audiences outside of gamers.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
It may be anticlimactic, at least now gamers have something to point to when some1 says "Name one good movie made from a videogame?"

\o/ win in my book :D

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
If this movie had been made 10-15 years ago, I'd say cast Adrian Pasdar (AKA Nathan Petrelli from Heroes) in a heartbeat. He's half-Persian, a handsome dude and a good actor to boot.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Prince of Persia doesn't set me off as well.. seriously NOW NOW NOW in 2010 the idea of a man with predominantly causcasian features CAN'T BE from Iran is worth this. Last Airbender is much larger issue. Mainly though This is as Bob said. Arabian Nights only using bits from a Videogame that also borrowed from the culture and movies. And mainly doing it by, lets be fair, throwing in more and more stuff. I mean I get the name changes were likely necessary but and the characterization was on. Moreover I loved the family dynamic and so on. Mainly I feel it was true to the spirit of the games which was about the spirit this movie was taking off and included lots of gamisms in different ways. The White-washing is serious in a wider view and post three cracks at this subject I just don't expect Bob and I to see eye to eye seriously on this as to say the plight of homosexual men and women in the US.

TalQuizar

Jun 2, 2010
Has no one played the game and seen this movie? I am a huge fan of the first game and when I seen this movie I loved it!! If you don't like the ending.. play the first game! I loved the ending it's jest like the game but like the rest of the movie different. The main characters are PERFECT I really don't care who is from where they fit the parts and did a perfect job. The guy looks like the prince and kicks jest as much butt. The sub characters are greatly entertaining. The "Sandsins" are perfect from the game standard and showing off jest how great the prince is playing his part.

All in all and I'm saying for my friends who also played the game and loved both. This is a right freaking good movie and I think people should really stop thinking of that BS "whitewashing" and not listen to Bob about the ending because it's a great part of the game.

PS also there was a Mario movie it was okay worth a look.