Escape to the Movies: Public Enemies

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I had a good feeling about this movie as soon as I saw the trailer. I'm definitely going to have to see it now, although I still predict that it will be this year's The Dark Knight: the film that has basically everything you could want from a film, and yet gets written off by the Academy as nothing more than a summer action blockbuster.
erikvduyn said:
And is it just me or did parts of the video get displayed incredibly short?
The technical problems of Escape to the Movies still really annoy me. Like you said, the editing is very bad, and a lot of the time images/statements only get displayed on screen for about half a second before moving on; not nearly enough time to take it in. Furthermore, the sound quality is still crummy, especially when compared to the Escapist's other video series; it just sounds tinny and, well, bad. The video quality isn't great either: there were several frames which became extremely pixellated and blurry, and it was basically impossible to see what was being shown.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Chipperz said:
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!
Too bad he only mentioned it once the entire review. If you can't handle a person not liking something that you do, then get off the internet (and I guess cease all conversations because I doubt you'd be able to handle it maturely in the real world as well).

I don't know what's worse; people whining constantly that Transformers sucked, or people like you who whine about them whining.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44...
Minus the fact that the Thompson is a icon of the mafia, and criminal weapons during the Great Depression?
See guys this is where I get my suit ideas, soon I'll be buying a Thompson for it.

On Topic: Much better review, less swearing, and less yelling much more enjoyable to listen to.
Take notes Bob.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Anachronism said:
I had a good feeling about this movie as soon as I saw the trailer. I'm definitely going to have to see it now, although I still predict that it will be this year's The Dark Knight: the film that has basically everything you could want from a film, and yet gets written off by the Academy as nothing more than a summer action blockbuster.
erikvduyn said:
The technical problems of Escape to the Movies still really annoy me. Like you said, the editing is very bad, and a lot of the time images/statements only get displayed on screen for about half a second before moving on; not nearly enough time to take it in. Furthermore, the sound quality is still crummy, especially when compared to the Escapist's other video series; it just sounds tinny and, well, bad. The video quality isn't great either: there were several frames which became extremely pixellated and blurry, and it was basically impossible to see what was being shown.
Guys, we can all hear what he's saying without it ruining our ears, that is acceptable audio quality, and use the pause button, part of the humour is that the flash card jokes are only funny for the brief moments the point is being made verbally, so pause and read, there were some good ones last time.

This was an great review, engaged well with the material and sold his enthusiasm whilst remaining objective and valid in his observations, as I think he always has been. The Transformers backlash is absurd largely because he is fully entitled to his opinion, he's a critic, and while his assesment may not mirror or even vaguely resemble your experience, he can bash a popular film or praise a generally popular one, as long as he substantiates his reasons, which he did, many just didn't agree.

I saw ROTF last night and largely enjoyed it although I see what rubbed MovieBob up the wrong way about the film (Bay's US military fetish and a lack of the titular characters) although I completely disagree with his view on the original, I thought it was an excellent film.

Really good review again, I'm greatly anticipating this film...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
too bad cuz I really did enjoy this year's movies...but then again, that's why I could make a terrible critic xp

good points tho, now I wanna watch this movie (well, the cast alone woulda been enough too)

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I have to agree with last year being an awesome year for movies.

I'm off to see this at the weekend. Should be good.

Apr 17, 2009
Bob, f you do one thing apart from watch movies this summer, please please please work on those video editing skills (I am running on the assumption that is is you that makes these vids). Things got pixellated, some things weren't shown in the right place, some things are shown so briefly that finding them again then pausing in the right place to actually try and see what comment your making is nigh-on impossible.
It would make your vids more watchable

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
The audio and the vidio don't seem to be syncing up properly. In the intro when it was talking about this summer's movies. Wolverine popped up 1/2 way through "Star treck went limp". There were other examples where Movie Bob's talking didn't match what was on screen. I know these are nitpick that didn't realy detract from the enjoyability of watching his review. However I would apreciate if he put more effort into the comedic timing of his sight to audio gags. Perhaps I am just spoiled by ZP since Yhatzee has this down to a science.

The actual review was fantastic.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Good deal a good action flick with johnny depp so I can convince my girlfriend to go with me.

JackrabbitSlim

Apr 15, 2009
Bob, love your work, but dude, do something about your editing problems. This and the Transformers review I noticed were really sloppy in terms of syncing the images with your words. Just a friendly suggestion, you may want to keep that in mind for your future videos.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Cool review, I think I might round up some buddies and head to the cinema to see this one.

I feel the pacing of this vid was much better than the last one, as last time I had to pause a lot to catch text that flashed on the screen for less than a second, this time I could watch the whole thing in one go without having to skip back at all :)

Keep up the good work Bob <3

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
I was already leaning toward seeing this anyway- but this review makes me want to see it more- thanks!

And great to see the moviebob stuff continuing! Now, next I'd love to see "game overthinker" taken up by escapist :p

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
erikvduyn said:
Yeah, it looked like the video lagged and then caught itself back up by speeding up certain parts.

Anyway, looks like a great movie. Probably gonna see it today.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
Chipperz said:
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!
Honestly....HES A FREAKING CRITIC!! what do you expect? Do you want him to talk great about the shitty movies he didn't like? Go write your own fucking review.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
You honestly still think Star Trek was bad Bob? Seriously?!

I'll think I'll avoid this one, if you think this is good, and you think Star Trek was bad...our opinions clash (except for both knowing Transformers 2, Wolverine, and Terminator all sucked).

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Zenn3k said:
You honestly still think Star Trek was bad Bob? Seriously?!

I'll think I'll avoid this one, if you think this is good, and you think Star Trek was bad...our opinions clash (except for both knowing Transformers 2, Wolverine, and Terminator all sucked).
He gave it a 6/10, said he didn't HATE it, but it could be a lot better. If 5/10 is average Moviebob thinks it's a slightly above average movie.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
The problem with Public Enemies is that it's only interesting. I sat through it and loved all the phenomenally staged gunfights and the sonic booms from stupidly powerful machines guns, rifles and revolvers, but I honestly can't remember much that happened between those scenes. It's not that I was bored to tears... more that I couldn't care to be bothered about was going on. There appeared to be a serious lack of drama that never really involved me. Sort of like the difference between a functional lecture and a powerful lecture. I just can't quite put my finger on what it is. Maybe it's just because I don't have any familiarity with the era, or perhaps because I'm not terribly fond of the gangster epic.

While I'm not sure exactly what it is that brings it down, it's a safe bet that it has something to with Christian Bale collecting another paycheque for a tragically one note performance.

Another good review. A lot of people seem to have issue with the less than stellar visual component. Have you ever thought about doing a weekly podcast? I know I'd download it.

Dorstlesser

Jun 28, 2009
Hey bob, good review. I love that you put movies in a historic and cultural context. And for all the people bitching about Bob's 'nitpicking'; it's good to have a critic who's not afraid to voice his opinion on moral and intellectual points if he backs it up properly like bob. The people that ask you to stop bitching about all the bad movies do sorta have a point; The Escapist is not youtube anymore. Anyway, I'm enjoying the reviews, keep 'm coming.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Phew Bob, at least you didn't like Miami Vice the movie. That movie was just incredibly boring. I rarely fail to complete a watching of any movie, but I actually shut that one off, I just didn't care. And I'm glad to find out that Public Enemies is a good movie. I mean, I haven't heard anyone trash it, but no one's given it any really "YES! DILLINGER = WIN!" either. It's been the critical equivalent of a "meh."