Escape to the Movies: Rango

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I enjoyed it quite a lot myself but it was probably due because I am a massive animation whore. Same reason I enjoyed summer wars (Probably a 7/10... The animation was so well done that I couldn't peel my eyes away, unfortunately the story was crap.

xan_shaw

Nov 6, 2010
Shame that Drive Angry was truly, truly terrible then?

It's absolutely nothing that Supernatural, Prison Break, Shoot 'em Up (where the whole having sex and a gunfight thing was done infinitely better with a much hotter woman) and even frickin' Ghost Rider did about 10 times better.

Sorry Bob, but you're just plain wrong about that one.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
-Zen- said:
Wait, that's the premise behind Drive Angry? I need to see that movie now.
Hell yeah!! The trailer gives no insight, but thanks to Bob I want to go see this movie.

I particularly loved this episode mainly because he really did answer that question in my head about how he reviews movies.

Oh and before I forget. TIME FOR AWESOME NICHOLAS CAGE MOMENTS!!

<youtube=5PJddmfesaA>

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
In the UK, Drive Angry got into the public spotlight via the always popular Top Gear. That's actually better publicity for some than some critics.
Yes, Mainly as Jeremy Clarkson introduced her as a Bisexual, Orwell Reading, Gun Loving, Texan Motor-head.
Srsly, I fell in love with the in the pre-drive interview alone.

Gonna take little sis to watch Rango anyway. Shes 10, I like westerns, she likes Depp, we both like lizards

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I have to go see Drive Angry... not yet released in theatres... arrives 17th of march...

Just so you know I could have pirated that movie in seconds rather than wait 2 weeks for it to make the LONG trip across the oceans. Another bullet shot in knee for the movie industry, perpetrators. Themselves.

However I think Nicolas Cage escaping from Hell and going on a vengeance drive with a shotgun is WORTH the 2 week wait. I will watch this is theatres.

This time you were saved by the Cage! You won't be so lucky next time you release a movie slower than the internet.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I saw Drive Angry Wednesday, and it was the most fun I've had in the theatre since me and my buddy got a private screening of Jackass 3D and spent the whole time laughing obnoxiously and running around the auditorium.

"He- killed- them- while he wuz fuckin me... HAS THAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU???"

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
At first I was slightly interested in Drive Angry after this, but then I remembered Bob's last under appreciated gem... Scott Pilgrim. Ugh... Sorry Bob I like you but I'm not listening to you this week.

mc200X

Dec 25, 2008
The comment about movie screenings is false - Drive Angry and Piranha did have press screenings. I know because I was there and I reviewed both films. Traditional press screenings in my market are typically mixed with regular advanced screenings.

The company that handles these events, Allied Integrated Marketing in Washington D.C., knows damn well what they're doing. Typically, for horror flicks bound to get a low RT or Metacritic rating, they'll host advanced screenings via local radio stations or gofobo.com (so that audiences can spread buzz via social networking sites) and simply not invite the press. Drive Angry was a movie that simply bombed with both the press and the normal audiences. Not a single person walking out of the Regal Gallery Place on Feb. 24 had anything positive to say about the movie.

And then there are the review embargoes typically placed on either summer blockbusters and certain other movies. The Social Network (before the wicked positive NYFF reception) and Somewhere held review embargoes until much closer to the opening day.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Drive Angry sound amazingly awesome. It's a shame it isn't showing around here, because that one explanation was more than enough to make me want to see it SO BADLY.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I get it! Rango has a flowery shirt, fucks around in the desert, and is voiced by Johnny Depp.

Bandrik

Dec 9, 2010
MovieBob, this was probably my favorite video review you have produced yet. Sure, the Rango stuff wasn't much to talk about, but your second half was extremely insightful and, quite frankly, interesting to hear about. Thanks for taking the time to do something a little differently and share your opinion on how movies are screened. It was highly appreciated.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
omicron1 said:
The final part of your show today makes me wonder about the movies that get a few (say, three to ten) reviews on/before release date, which tend to be significantly more positive than the eventual rottentomatoes average.

Do movie companies employ the same "80%+, you can talk about it on day one; anything less, wait a week" logic game companies get blasted for? Do they limit press screening to critics known to like similar movies or to give inflated scores? Or is it simple statistics? Any insight for me?
My guess is that they screen it and wait for the reviews to be written and only allow good reviews to be published before hand. Eidos did this with Tomb Raider once or twice.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Eicha said:
I was hoping Rango would actually be kind of interesting. But then again I realized that they put JOHNNY DEPP almost as large as the damn title on every movie poster and commercial, as if they were saying "HEY! Watch our movie cause a famous actor is in it!" Sometimes I'm embarrassed that I live in Hollywood.

Anyways, great ep Bob. Drive Angry sounds awesome. :D
Don't sell the movie too short after listening to just one critic. Roger Ebert really enjoyed the movie and gave "Rango" 4/4 stars on his site.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110302/REVIEWS/110309997

Whose right? Neither of them and that's the beauty of it. It all depends on you. Don't listen to just one critic, go see the movie and decide for yourself. I've heard from critics on both sides of the fence that the trailers do not do the movie justice in what to expect.