Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
Bob is such an idiot. Fanboyism isn't just yelling for the sake of yelling. We once liked the things we're now yelling at. It's the betrayal and the stupidity that we hate.

Look at Plinkett's review of the Prequels for proof. THAT is how a review is made.
Think you might have missed the reference and the point there sport. The 7 part review he was talking about? That was the Plinkett reviews and one of the complaints that I agree'd with was that people just use his reviews as justification for hating those movies rather based on their own legitimate reasons.

I have watched them and Plinkett made some very legitimate points however, its better to watch them yourself's and make your own opinion about them. That's not to say you should completely blank out those points, what he made I did agree with. Just you should watch the movies and come up with your own.

I have my own reasons for disliking them and believe it or not Ja Ja isn't in them.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Red tails looks exciting and action packed but it doesn't look as dramatic or as realistic as the Tuskegee airmen movie that came out awhile ago. I appreciate the endeavor and I do like seeing Cuba working in a nice movie (he's not that bad an actor really!) but I'm one of those people who can get there fill once and I already saw this movie back in history class.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Ended up checking out Haywire instead of Red Tails, will probably end up seeing the fighter plane movie later on on Bob's recommendation.

Haywire: lots of great actors, an otherwise interesting story and one major drawback: the female lead Gina Carano. Carano is pretty, she's a good fighter who can do her own stunts and she definitely comes across as a lady who can kick your ass when she wants to. Unfortunately, she's not nearly as good an actor as pretty much anybody she ends up on the screen with.

Instead of what the script seemed to call for: a story of lost love, betrayal, divided loyalties and guessing who's on what side, what we get is the story of a very talented woman with no special emotional attachment to anyone trying to stay alive. It's not bad, but it's just not very good and absolutely forgettable. The fight scenes, which taken on their own terms were pretty good, could not save the film because there just were not enough of them as compared to the stuff that, instead of coming off emotional, just fell flat.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
How did you forget about Gina playing Natasha in Red Alert 3 but could put in a photo of her role in American Gladiators?

Snooder

May 12, 2008
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:
"Red Tails" gives Tuskegee Airmen action movie which they never get back in the days...

What about The Tuskegee Airmen [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/]?
(and You call yourself a movie critic :p)
I still have no idea how MovieBob could do the entire review without ONCE mentioning the movie about the exact same characters, with the same basic plotline, and starring the same lead actor.

He could just have been trolling all of us, of course.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:
"Red Tails" gives Tuskegee Airmen action movie which they never get back in the days...

Sorry but TV MOVIES don't count.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
I'll go off-topic for now then swap ontopic mid way.

I hate the prequels, I hate the special editions, but I hate them specifically for being both bad films and making old films worse with shoddy editing and pointless shots. Thing is they are the FUN kind of bad. I could actually watch Star Wars RotS with the Rifftrax on and laugh and enjoy myself. With transformers 3? no such luck even with the Rifftrax, it was painful as a media student, painful as a transformers fan, painful as just someone who wanted to watch a movie.

That all has absolutely shit all to do with Red Tails, which actually looks pretty good, and hey, it's a movie about black people without shoehorning in a white lead because 'white people wouldn't watch a movie about black people where they aren't all goofs' I'm definitely going to give this a watch, I got a Village Gift Card for free anyway so it's not like I can't see a movie.

I actually find it surprising that Bob didn't bring that up in the movies favor. It's a movie about black people, where Will Smith isn't the lead, and they aren't shoehorning in any white sympathy characters. I tip my hat to thee Red Tails.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:

He's referring to a movie made for theaters.
Also "in the days" probably refers to back when Clint Eastwood and John Wayne were doing all those WWII movies and about the only black person you saw was in the Dirty Dozen.
And he dies at the very end
So I don't think he was fucking kidding you...

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
I'm really glad this movie got made. Those men were real heroes. They still have one of the best records of any fighter squadron ever.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Oooh, Moviebob just told off the prequel haters and made a Plinkett reference. He has just replaced Jim Sterling at the top of my respect list.

It takes a lot to make me want to see a movie, so needless to say, I won't be seeing this one. Not because it's made by Lucas, a film's director/producer/whatever have little bearing on my opinion of a film, I'm just not into historical war movies.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Indignator said:
Yeah, I am sick and tired of Bob's nerd-baiting routine.
I find it both annoying and funny in a weird way. When he gets in that mode he sometimes belittles opinions I hold with the reasoning that anyone who holds opinion X must be a "fanboy" of franchise Y. I think it's twice now he's called me a fanboy of something I either didn't know existed or didn't care about.

Richard Norley

Jan 22, 2010
For a moment, I thought that the We Need To Talk About Kevin poster was actually a poster for Elfen Lied. Damn...

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Nerdstar said:
thank you bob for finally saying what iv been feeling for forever! enough with the Lucas bashing!!! we get he made some changes to his movies and made a couple of less then stellar prequels. I'm just so sick of being able to predict with godlike accuracy that when eve hes brought up someones going to ***** about him and make jokes about him playing with his "junk" and making bad movies that stopped being funny(if they ever were) years ago! are we so jaded and angry that we cant remember the good things he gave us? seriously?!?!!?
The Lucas bashing comes from the fact that the man was revolutionary, then became mediocre. For some back in the day, Star Wars was the shit. Now in days, it got so CGI'd and lost its magic because he kept releasing it and changing things, such as adding the words 'mediclorian' to the end of many sentences for little to no purpose.

To make a better sense of this, you don't see other revolutionaries of his time releasing the same movie again but with HD 3D effects, or changing their past works. Lucas obviously learned how to milk a franchise, and as much as I hate to say it, the franchise lost lots of value because of the milking. Theres a limit to how long you should milk, and Lucas did it so much that he literally milked the cow until its bones dried up.

Abandon4093 said:
Also I think the bit with you raging about nerds raging was too hypocritical. Even for you.
Almost inception hypocrisy. A rage about a rage within a rage.
RAGECEPTION!!

Well, thanks Bob for extending the review to dwell on Lucas hate without actually looking at arguments aimed towards Lucas. But hay, how else are you going to make the review about 5 minutes? [Trollface]

Anyways, thanks for reviewing this movie.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Oh no did i see that poster near the end right? there is gonna be a abortion movie bleh

Moeez

May 28, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Oooh, Moviebob just told off the prequel haters and made a Plinkett reference. He has just replaced Jim Sterling at the top of my respect list.

It takes a lot to make me want to see a movie, so needless to say, I won't be seeing this one. Not because it's made by Lucas, a film's director/producer/whatever have little bearing on my opinion of a film, I'm just not into historical war movies.
Damn, you're missing out on some great films. Saving Private Ryan, Kingdom's Heaven (Director's Cut), Thin Red Line, Platoon, Red Cliff, Braveheart, Spartacus, and so on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/jettjett/vlcsnap-113658.jpg

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.
Kate Beckinsale is fucking hot ok? Leave the man alone!

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Moeez said:
BanicRhys said:

Damn, you're missing out on some great films. Saving Private Ryan, Kingdom's Heaven (Director's Cut), Thin Red Line, Platoon, Red Cliff, Braveheart, Spartacus, and so on.
Okay, well I have seen Saving Private Ryan because of its popularity and Red Cliff because I like Dynasty Warriors and they were pretty good.

Jesus, now that I think about it, I've seen a lot of historical war movies that I like, I guess I'm just racist or something.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I heard about the "We Need To Talk About Kevin" movie and all I can really say is "meh". The book was okay, but I don't really see it as fimworthy considering that it was an epistolary novel and I didn't really see it translating visually very well without losing that first-person emotional torment of the narrator.