Escape to the Movies: Riddick

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
No Bob, you will not spoil my eagerness for seeing this movie. Even if it isn't great, I'll still love it. Unfortunately I may be that only other person besides Vin who wanted to see what happened after Chronicles, so I'm a little bummed we won't be getting any Riddick in charge of an entire army moments...maybe we could get a King Riddick video game? Please?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Bad movie or not, I still want to play D&D with Vin Diesel.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Like both the Riddick movies so this new one will be watchable. Sucks they ignored everything from Chronicles as they could have added some more to the mythology (if that can be said for these movies) and instead go back to mercenaries chasing riddick on planet of killer animals. While still will be a fun watch, just seems like a step backwards. Even if they did a Butcher Bay type of movie all set in a prison would have been interesting.

I would have loved to see what Riddick would have done with a huge army under his control. :)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?
Is THAT what that was? I thought it was a new powered-armor dude advertising Iron Man 4. From that perspective, it's pretty neat, but Robocop? yeah, no.

As for Transformers 4, well... let's just say I'm not getting my hopes up. The Dinobots were easily my favorite transformers (esp. Slag. yay firebreatheing, laser-faced triceratops! with a flaming sword!), but they weren't really that interesting from a plot perspective: just stand-ins for Optimus Prime as the one who shows up and wins the fight for the good guys simply by being badass. Of course the comics gave them... well, gave Grimlock some more character development than that; I'd be curious to see the angle Bayformers takes on it. The point is, at this point it feels more like pandering than any sort of artistic choice, and I haven't seen any sort of respect paid to the potential of the franchise from the existing series.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing the newly designed Dinobots toys. I haven't had a new robot dinosaur on my desk in awhile.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sometimes it's rough watching these reviews. I mean, he basically tells you whether he will like or dislike a movie within the first 5 seconds, especially if it's a sequel. I loved Pitch Black. I mean, the complaint that it's basically the first movie over again is a non starter for me. Aliens was an amazing film, but it was the first movie again. Sure, it was on a planet mostly and had a friendly android this time around, but it mostly took place in metal hallways and over-sized ventilation ducts again. I really liked the universe they had created in Chronicles, I liked how they expanded on it and I liked the scope of what was happening. I think the movie outlived it's welcome though. It could have easily been turned into 2 better movies as it was a bit on the long side and dense with information. I'm also ultimately OK with them stepping back from it. I didn't think Bob would like this movie because he has expressed his dislike for Vin Diesel in the past and yes, we all know he is dissatisfied with the whole "bro culture" that has popped up around his characters. Part of me thinks the whole comment about having a "gym" look is just sour grapes. I don't think he is in particularly good shape these days, but I go to the gym 6 days a week and give a shit about how I look and feel. I think that Bob doesn't really care about either of those things as much as he does about watching movies... which is part of the reason I mostly enjoy his reviews I guess. Occasionally he gets a little high on his horse and get reviews that show how he feels about certain things (especially Man of Steel).

But, I'm ranting. It's still a worthwhile thing to watch so at least you know what you are getting into. The fact that it's another version of the first movie I would consider a positive thing as it's simply getting back to it's roots. I think the character of Riddick isn't so much about the emotive acting or the believable or unbelievable character, but it's about the presence of the character. If Riddick is present, he is in control of the situation. And it's that power fantasy the movie offers. I'm looking forward to this.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
YAY, Starbuck is in this! :D

I definitely liked Pitch Black, but I haven't seen Crhonicles yet, so... If they make another lovely game out of this, I'd be happy, if not... well, no harm was made, just another generic movie with wasted potential.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wait, you mean it's not a direct remake of Pitch Black? I swear that's what I thought it was from the previews I saw.

Honestly, Vin Diesel needs to move on. Nobody cares about Riddick but Vin Diesel at this point. Pitch Black was an okay movie if you're into that sort of thing, but Vin really needs to move on and do more with his life than pine for the one moment when he was in something that wasn't utterly fucking stupid. If he could just get over it, maybe he could actually be in another movie that isn't utterly fucking stupid.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
In fairness, Pitch Black was and still is a pretty good movie. It fits the Deep Rising model of schlocky, gory and spooky but fun. Riddick was a great character back then and I don't think the cult success of that movie is based on his Fast and Furious successes. The thing is that he was not the protagonist, the pilot (Fry?) was. She was the one on the journey and learned something at the end and grew as a character. (till she died) Riddick should be used like Dredd or the Punisher. A walking force of nature who facilitates the stories of other characters. Riddick is a shallow character which is cool once you realise that. Give him the right story and he is very effective. Again, props must be given to Vin, the guy has a passion for his material and you can't but help respect it.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
WAIT???? Bob is giving Transformers 4 a MAYBE????

REALLY?

I would have excepted "Double NO" but a MAYBE?

Really Bob? Really?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
YAY, Starbuck is in this! :D
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was happy to see Starbuck :p

Anything with her in is surely going to be at least okay? Maybe...

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
Honestly, Vin Diesel needs to move on. Nobody cares about Riddick but Vin Diesel at this point.
People really really REALLY need to quit parroting this particular inanity. Lack of massive popularity does not equal nobody caring. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous two movies, especially Chronicles, and if it's true that there's a fourth movie planned in the same vein (with this one intentionally following Pitch Black) then I'm psyched for it.

Ditocoaf

May 23, 2013
Heh, I always knew gay women would turn straight if only they had sex with a real man. Thanks, Vin Diesel! This movie sounds great! *rolls eyes*

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
JarinArenos said:
RJ Dalton said:
Honestly, Vin Diesel needs to move on. Nobody cares about Riddick but Vin Diesel at this point.
People really really REALLY need to quit parroting this particular inanity. Lack of massive popularity does not equal nobody caring.
You're absolutely correct and I thank you for alerting me to my mistake. Please allow me to rephrase that.

Nobody *who matters* cares about Riddick but Vin Diesel at this point.

The "Riddick Series" has never been more than decent at its best (the first film) and it's decline has been painful to watch, especially since it represents an actor who can be really good when properly cast obsessing over the one moment when his career had promise. And I especially don't care to see a movie that's all about stroking Vin Diesel's injured ego by having characters repeatedly praise the character he loves. If I want that, I'll read fanfiction.
And jab shards of glass under my fingernails, because I've apparently gone mad and must be corrected by pain.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
MorganL4 said:
WAIT???? Bob is giving Transformers 4 a MAYBE????

REALLY?

I would have excepted "Double NO" but a MAYBE?

Really Bob? Really?
It's almost like Bob has forgotten that it's a Transformers movie being directed by Michael Bay.

But anyway, Vin Diesel should stop making Riddick movies and just get the guys that did Butcher Bay to make more Riddick games. It seems to work out much better that way.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Perhaps there is just something wrong with me but for some reason the Riddick films have just worked for me. They aren't the greatest films ever made and they have plenty of flaws you can point to but something is just enjoyable about them to me.

Then again maybe it's just that I admire that someone has the courage to go out into space with a movie. Other than something like the occasional Star Trek movie it seems like movies and TV just aren't willing to go out into the black for a story any more. So even with the flaws at least Riddick is willing to fill in some of that void left when studios chicken out on outer space and alien planets.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
You're absolutely correct and I thank you for alerting me to my mistake. Please allow me to rephrase that.

Nobody *who matters* cares about Riddick but Vin Diesel at this point.
Oh now that's just mean. :p

RJ Dalton said:
The "Riddick Series" has never been more than decent at its best (the first film) and it's decline has been painful to watch, especially since it represents an actor who can be really good when properly cast obsessing over the one moment when his career had promise. And I especially don't care to see a movie that's all about stroking Vin Diesel's injured ego by having characters repeatedly praise the character he loves. If I want that, I'll read fanfiction.
Yeah, I'll admit, that didn't sound particularly promising, but I contribute at least some of that to reviewer dislike. Bob makes no secrets about his opinions of movies when reviewing. Still, I'm hoping for a return to the galactic plotline in the future, regardless.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
A) It is possible for a lady to say that she doesn't "fuck dudes" when she's surrounded by a bunch of horny douchey bounty hunter guys without her actually being a lesbian. She might just *gasp* not like their company all that much. I could also see her going with the pretty religious boy if Riddick didn't make it.

B) Riddick (2013) is awesome. It's got slimy space monsters, sweet energy blasts, lotsa people getting chopped into pieces, boobs (no, really! I was surprised to see them in this day and age in a wide-release movie too!), and Jordi Mollà (Santana) who is Goddamn boss. He's like a slightly less silly El Guapo.

If any of that appeals, I highly recommend you check this movie out. Lots of fun.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
The " BUY MY BOOK " thing was funny the first time, but now it just feels sad. Bob, I know publishing and promoting a book is hard, but always stay classy.