Escape to the Movies: Riddick

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Thing is vin seems like a good guy, and from what i have read he is really into the riddick character and the whole world or at lest the idea of it all, so much so that i think he has sunk a good chunk of his own money into the series over the years trying to get something going.

So bob playing this movie off as a vanity project seems overly dismissive, i think vin really wants this character to take off, is remaking pitch black the best way to do it? doubtful, pb was what it was and it worked well for the time, it was well reviewed when it came out by critics also.

From some of the comments above it seems this is meant as a reboot for the series, with riddick as the central character this time full out, pb he was just a supporting character, he had not risen to "star" status until after the movie came out.

i wish him the best of luck with this, really hope it does well, i would much rather see him making more of theses, than any fast and furious crap.

Far as it comparing to star wars, well it holds up very well vs. episodes 1 2 and 3. but that is not saying much. but every riddick movie be it pb or chronicles has been better than any of the sw prequils.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I never cared for the movies. But the games were amazing. As long as they make another one I'll be a happy camper.
I thought it was biased of Bob to critique Riddick the character and totally ignore the games. I can respect Vin Diesel's ambition to creating a new and semi-original series, but it just needs something more to really bring in a bigger audience.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I got back from Riddick and it was for the most part pretty decent, but I could be bias due to actually enjoying the rest of the Riddick efforts including Chronicles and Dark Fury. Just seeing the character get another chance to succeed regardless of how unlikely that might be is nice.

Casual Shinji said:
Didn't Vin Diesel once say Pitch Black would be The Hobbit to Chronicles of Riddick?

Yeah, nice try, Vin.
During the promotion of Chronicles, when Lord of the Rings was in full swing of success, Universal tried to use the idea of Chronicles becoming an epic level story like Rings. Personally I liked the movie and would have seen it almost regardless of how they promoted it, but going that route was an incredibly bad plan by the promotions department.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
MorganL4 said:
WAIT???? Bob is giving Transformers 4 a MAYBE????

REALLY?

I would have excepted "Double NO" but a MAYBE?

Really Bob? Really?
It's telling that Bob is more interested in another Transformers movie than the Robocop remake.

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
trty00 said:
If by 'harmless fantasy' you mean: 'something that not only bellitles the life choices of a group of people who still face extreme persecution in parts of the world, but makes their sexuality seem like something that can be fucked out,' it is indeed a 'harmless fantasy.'
Everyone faces different types of persecution in different parts of the world. I have had sex with women who claimed they were lesbian and then they said they were bisexual. I guess I am a horrible man.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Lex Darko said:
I'll say that if you liked Pitch Black then you'll like this movie as well more so if you're familiar with Pitch Black.
The problem with that logic is that Riddick, who wasn't the protagonist in the movie, was a deeply ambiguous character. You didn't know until the very end what he would be willing to do - or even what he'd WANT to do - in that situation. That was the main source of tension within the movie.

Two movies later, do you think they'd be able to recreate that? I haven't seen "Riddick" and probably won't, but I don't hold out much hope. And it's not as though MovieBob has given it a stunning recommendation to convince me otherwise.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?m probably wrong but chronicles of Riddick sounds kind of awesome in a so bad its good way.

You know I?m curious or anybody ever did the fuck you straight trope with inverted genders, and if so did people complain about that.

Feb 28, 2008
The problem with the Chronicles was that they took a character who was an interesting supporting character, turned him into the sole focus of a film and then constructed this overly elaborate and unnecessary world around him, with seemingly no respect for what Pitch Black had accomplished.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
What I took away from this review is that Bautista seems like he'll be good in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
So essentially this film's approach to sex can be summarized as both misogynistic AND homophobic. Yeah... like I needed more of a reason NOT to go and see this.
Also, stone-faced meat golem would be a really cool band name. I just needed to say that.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Tumedus said:
Movie is about what I expected but I disagree with the preamble. Pitch Black was actually really well received by those of its rather niche demographic at the time. There was a lot of love for that character and that role is actually what put Diesel into the limelight. F&F was far more commercially successful but that just elevated him to "future star".

So I don't think its right to say it would have been dismissed if not for his surging fame. It would be exactly what it is anyway, a cult flick. The problem with the sequel was just that it was a dumb movie.

Deimir said:
Speaking of the credits, was that supposed to be Robocop or Kryptonian power armor from Man Of Steel 2?
Robocop
Fffffff....I was too young to remember the movies completely and I'm still pissed!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I actual liked Chronicles of Riddick a lot, it's sad to hear all the world building is gone

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
"Pitch Black" was a character driven story with Riddick being the most interesting due to his moral ambiguity and enigmatic background. In that context, he was a cool anti-hero...almost along the lines of "The Man with No Name".

"Chronicles" become a world-building story, which in an of itself wasn't a bad thing. In fact they had a lot of cool ideas that were left unexplored.

But I think they went a bit too grand with the whole thing. A movie like "Dredd" showed how one could still create a world without showing it to you all at once.

And all this seemed to water-down the things that were appealing about Riddick. He could have moved through the world and still been an enigmatic loner instead of the Messianic figure he became.

But that's just my two cents. And I'll be wanting change back...

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I actually really liked Chronicles. And maybe I'll see this one too, a little homophobia never stopped me from watching a movie :p

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
MorganL4 said:
WAIT???? Bob is giving Transformers 4 a MAYBE????

REALLY?

I would have excepted "Double NO" but a MAYBE?

Really Bob? Really?
The concept that time travel is going to be involved as the reason for the Dinobots got his interest.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Loop Stricken said:
Imp Emissary said:
Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?
Oh good Lord, THAT was Robocop?!
Yeah, it's pretty bad looking. For one, he doesn't look like he's part[sub](or rather mostly)[/sub] robot. He just looks like he's in a suit.

2xDouble said:
Imp Emissary said:
Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?
Is THAT what that was? I thought it was a new powered-armor dude advertising Iron Man 4. From that perspective, it's pretty neat, but Robocop? yeah, no.

As for Transformers 4, well... let's just say I'm not getting my hopes up. The Dinobots were easily my favorite transformers (esp. Slag. yay firebreatheing, laser-faced triceratops! with a flaming sword!), but they weren't really that interesting from a plot perspective: just stand-ins for Optimus Prime as the one who shows up and wins the fight for the good guys simply by being badass. Of course the comics gave them... well, gave Grimlock some more character development than that; I'd be curious to see the angle Bayformers takes on it. The point is, at this point it feels more like pandering than any sort of artistic choice, and I haven't seen any sort of respect paid to the potential of the franchise from the existing series.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing the newly designed Dinobots toys. I haven't had a new robot dinosaur on my desk in awhile.
Why doesn't Bay just have the movie be on Cybertron?
A robotic planet, covered in a race of robots that can turn into almost anything, and are all fighting!

Think of all the explosions he could do! You'd think he'd jump at the chance.
He could even have them turn into all those guns he seems to like so much!