Escape to the Movies: Robin Hood

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
does anyone remember the name of the Robin Hood movie where he becomes an outlaw because he helps a poacher, refuses to accept the punishment and things sort of escalate?

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Well, now I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend: watching a back to back marathon of The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn and Mel Brook's Robin Hood Men in Tights, they are so much more fun when you watch them together! Nottingham's men at arms being beat up with both dead deer and boars! :D If I had the Disney version I'd watch that too and I really need to find that one with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. (And don't bring up Prince of Thieves or I'll send Sir Guy to skewer you. ;) I do love Alan Rickman just not in that movie.)

Sorry Crowe, I loved you in Gladiator but when it comes to playing Robin Hood you've really got to have that sense of humor to go with it. This is one of the few times I agree with Roger Ebert:

"Little by little, title by title, innocence and joy is being drained out of the movies. What do you think of when you hear the name of Robin Hood? I think of Errol Flynn, Sean Connery and the Walt Disney character. I see Robin lurking in Sherwood Forest, in love with Maid Marian (Olivia de Havilland or Audrey Hepburn), and roistering with Friar Tuck and the Merry Men. I see a dashing swashbuckler."

Yup, I think that sums it up nicely.

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
I can't find fluff here in the south east of the US...it sucks the things you can't find here...I need to go back to Massachusetts.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
UtopiaV1 said:
GrinningManiac said:
"THERE WERE NO D-DAY LANDING CRAFT MADE OF WOOD, EVER!"
"WHEN DID ROBIN HOOD (in the "mythos") RIDE A HORSE, OR HAVE AN ARMY!?"
Obviously I can't argue with your well thought out logic there, but I can say that boats made of wood did exist back then, and judging from the limited amount of footage they get in the film, they look feasible enough to be able to sail over the English Channel (at it's narrowest point only 21 miles). What, you think Mr Higgins was the first man to come up with that design of boat? And I bet you think Alexander Graham Bell was the first man to invent the telephone too...

Riding a horse was a good skill to have back then, probably not LIKELY he'd know how to ride one, but if we're going to buy into the fact that Robin Hood (in this film, Russel) couldn't hold down a proper English Accent for 5 seconds, we can forgive him having a skill that he could have picked up in that time period and would have been quite useful to boot! It's like someone from the 30th century saying "Oh, come on, someone in the 21st century knew how to use a Longbow when they all had guns? That's preposterous!!!" (This is the only example that comes to me atm, because my parents have taken up Archery, but not because of this film...)

2:17

D-Day landing craft design (front collapsing ramp)...with oars sticking out of the sides.

Never mind the fact that the correct sealing techniques were not around in 1200, and the craft would sink from leaks in the ramp door, this design did not exist in 1890, never mind the Days of John Lackland

Also, I'm not entirely sure what the 30th century analogy meant. Are you actually, in a confusing way, saying the 30th century man is complaining that the Robin Hood film - which was made in the 21st century - has a longbow in it? In which case : I'm fairly sure that in the next 9 centuries, humans will not loose the ability to recognise that a film made in a given timeframe need not be set to the same date within the film itself.

Finally, there is an incredible difference between knowing how to ride a horse and having a fully-armed and -armoured unit of cavalry charging into a pitched battle. I'm fairly sure you can paint a stickman. This does not mean you can recreate the mona lisa.

So don't be a smarmy bugger with me again, it's just unpleasant. Argue with me all you like, but don't use obnoxious sarcasm. My 14-year old brother does the same thing (teenagers...) and it drives me up the wall.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Honestly Bob, your British accent sounds better than his, stupid colonials, and it does sound a tad irish, coming from someone who is half irish and lives in Yorkshire, he sounds nothing like a Yorkshireman.

And the fact that he flipped over the way it sounds is even more awesome.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
MovieBob: PLEEEEEEASE buy a decent mircophone, or talk into it louder or something...
You're still just hard to make out, dude. :(

Thanks for the advise tho, I'll see if I can get that Bluray of Kingdom for less than half a car payment (seriously retailers: BD is not made from GOLD, make them affordable in my country!).

Catalyst691

Jan 22, 2008
RestamSalucard said:
Fluffernutter, what is that? A marshmallow and peanut butter sandwich? All the picture told me is that it's a gooey white substance on a yellowy brown slightly less gooey substance between two pieces of bread. And having just said that, I must now go throw up at what my horrible imagination has concocted. Apologies to all who read this.

EDIT:
Sturmdolch said:
But yeah, it is misleading. When I first saw the trailers for this I was thinking, what the hell... What happened to:
He seperated into two distinct entities, one went to Hyrule to fight Ganondorf, the other went into space and fought a giant monkey head.
Awesome references lol

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I... need to stop watching these reviews. I was going to go see Robin Hood this weekend but now I'm not. Same thing happened with the Losers... But the thing is, I don't always agree with your reviews. I mean, I thought How to Train Your Dragon was phenomenal and I hated Edge of Darkness.

But I guess I'll take your advice on this one. The things you mentioned it having were exactly the kind of things I hate.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
The books & old poems say a million times that Robin Hood is blonde & they can't even get that right. He's supposed to look like the goddamn Green Arrow.

I'll bet they put Maid Marrian in it too. She was created 300 years latter either to make Robin Hood look less gay or to make Robin look less Catholic. The only woman in Robin's life was the virgin Mary. You think that would have been good enough for the churches of the time, but no... Friar Tuck was also a latter add-on & prince John was a toss-in too.

Would it kill them to follow the oldest unbastardized books even once?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You are loose cannon, Sandvich, but you are damn good cop!

On the topic of note, I wonder, was this supposed to make Robin a badass or was this supposed to reinforce the legend of him being a swashbuckling scoundrel who robs from the rich and gave to the poor? 'Cause I don't think they hit that second one, and he was certainly the first in the way he went about the second.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Basically if you mash all of Russell Crowes movies together you get a movie called robin hood that was never told it was supposed to be a robin hood movie.

ps i want a fluffernutter too

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Gotta say, thanks for the kingdom of heaven recommendation. I just rented it, and it was EPIC. So, thanks for that, cuz I never would've even heard of it otherwise.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
Robin Hood

This week MovieBob takes aim at the new Robin Hood.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7547-Three-Reasons-for-Robin].

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-to-the-Movies/374853431247].

Watch Video
Sorry Bob, but I HAVE to disagree with you on this one.

First off, the Robin Hood story has never been proven to be one person. It's as much a folk legend as Pecos Bill or La Llorona (The Wailing Woman). So, as Yahtzee pointed out, using a legend as canon against another story is disingenuous. Also, the Locksley/Loxley part is almost exclusively from the Disney version.

To date, we've had pretty much had 4 versions of Robin Hood in movies: The Errol Flynn version, the Disney Animals version, the Kevin Costner version, and the Mel Brooks version.

The Errol Flynn is still the best depiction of the legend of Robin Hood, verbatim.

The Disney Animals version was able to tell the same story, but tone down the violence enough for the kiddos to watch. Pretty much everyone of your and my generation grew up seeing this version at least once.

Then there's the Kevin Costner version that cuts out Prince/King John ENTIRELY, but still has King Richard in it. BTW, the witch gave my youngest sister nightmares.

Then we have the Mel Brooks version, which serves it's purpose by pointing out how tired and overused the story and theme is. Mel Brooks is the master of sarcasm, and it's often a difficult debate over whether Men in Tights or Spaceballs was the greatest movie he ever made.

So now, we have Ridley Scott, who has directed some of the greatest movies OF ALL TIME, and instead of just using the same tired story over again, they decide to do something unique and radical with it. I just got back from seeing it, and IT WAS AWESOME. Also, the depiction of King Richard in the movie is much closer to the actual historical King Richard, who was power hungry and got himself and his soldiers killed in an ill-fated Crusade.

I'd recommend this movie very highly. I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that it was the Killer Movie of the Summer of 2010.

Also, giving away the ending? Really uncool.