Escape to the Movies: Salt

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
ToonLink said:
MovieBob has never steered me wrong before. Gonna check this one out.
Hmm... did you see Splice? Did you see Edge of Darkness? Did you not see the Book of Eli?

Well, I was expecting this to be a piece of crap, so let's hope you're right about this one.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
I dunno, but Russians definitely has the best English accent for a Villain. Sad... But I would really like to learn that accent!

The "Russia as villain" thing was also pointed out by Yahtzee in the Singularity review, so I don't know what's with them placing Russians as villains these days.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.
Same here, just like with Megan Fox. The movie doesn't even look that great anyway...

chunkymonkey01

Nov 18, 2009
all i have to say about the russia as a villain thing

2 russian spies were arrested in cambridge massachusetts

google it, it was on the news for while there

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Angelina Jolie is alright, but she's not "The" hot chick too me... her seems too... I dunno, odd - the lips are just too big for starters...
chunkymonkey01 said:
all i have to say about the russia as a villain thing

2 russian spies were arrested in cambridge massachusetts

google it, it was on the news for while there
Yup - the cold war may be over, but don't kid yourselves yanks - the US and Russia aren't total buddies now - especially not after the whole Bush thing, which is a shame as everyone seemed to be getting along up until recently.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I don't know, I think I might skip this one. The name for the character just bugs the hell out of me for some reason but the whole "Russian spy" thing is really wearing thin now in gaming and movies.

Jacques 2

Oct 8, 2007
Well, as has been said, Russian spies do exist here, granted not to set off WWIII (or are they? o.0) and Russia itself still has some... moral ambiguity. Yeah, it's done to death, but does it work? yes, somewhat sadly, yes. Granted, their presid... er, prime minister, used to be a spy and there was the whole polonium 210 incident.

Big corporations are another possible spy source (see: Inception, the Saint, the International, etc. etc.) but big corporations don't tend to like making movies about big evil corporations (short of veiled versions of their competitors), and have a fair say over their investments. So we're left with SPECTER, HARM, and Starbucks.

As for Russian movies from the USSR period, Tarkovsky flicks like STALKER and Solaris were exceptions to the rule, not the basis of it. They pissed off the government a fair deal really, dealing with existentialism, sadness of poverty, religion, and other taboos. They had to shoot most of STALKER twice because the film was destroyed during development, which resulted in Tarkovsky's death through cancer that developed largely as a result of his environmental exposure to pollutants in the areas where he filmed for an over extended amount of time. Most USSR flicks that weren't by Tarkovsky weren't nearly as memorable because they were basic propaganda reels.

Arab villains at this time would be largely considered politically incorrect.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, Angelina was definetly a good choice to fallback.

I do want to see this film...as, it does seem pretty intelligent

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
z3rostr1fe said:
I dunno, but Russians definitely has the best English accent for a Villain. Sad... But I would really like to learn that accent!

The "Russia as villain" thing was also pointed out by Yahtzee in the Singularity review, so I don't know what's with them placing Russians as villains these days.
I've said this elsewhere, but I think there are lots of reasons why Russians are still portrayed as villains. The obvious is that America has been itching for that blood match with the Soviets that we never got (the Georgia-Russia conflict in South Ossettia back in '08? That was a proxy war between the U.S. and Russia, as Georgia's government and military is propped up by the American government.). There's also the fact that Russia still has some 'issues' internally, be it the political machinations of the Kremlin (suppressing free speech and political freedom, amongst other things) or the fact that so many ex-KGB members have started working in organized crime.

I don't think I've even scratched the surface of all the ways the "Russia as villains" theme is still plausible and relevant, though I agree it's really getting overdone, especially since virtually none of the movies that work with it really bother to do anything with the idea other than go "Russians Bad!" (I'm looking at you, Iron Man 2...).

As for Salt...I think I'll pass, not a fan of Jolie.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008

Am I the only one who doesn't find Angelina Jolie hot?

I mean, I love her work when she's cast right, but she's... skeletal... and it creeps me out... I don't see the appeal of her as "the" hot chick.

EDIT: Huh, well played person right above me, well played indeed.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Mezmer said:
I'm totally disinterested in this movie. It's been hyped for like a year, and still looks really "Meh"

KingPiccolOwned said:
I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.
This. Her lips creep me out.
This, and also because (In recent days) she looks very disheveled.

Back like, 5 or so years ago, HELLS TO THE YEAH! But right now, nope.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Actually if anyone looked at the papers recently there was some stuff aboot America nabbing some Russian spies. They couldn't have known this during production, but there is still some modernness to it.
Also...
[HEADING=1]Consistency man![/HEADING]
First you target Megan Fox for being an untalented plasticish looking sex symbol (I agree, but that's not the point here) and yet you do a complete 180 on your stance for that sort of thing with Angelina Jolie? Maybe it's just because she's your generations U.P.L.S.S., but all I'm asking for is that you try to be a little consistent.