Escape to the Movies: Shutter Island

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I had my doubts about this movie at first thinking that it was just another Silent Hill mixed with The Suffering but I still don't go to the theaters. Every time I have two to three hours to myself it suddenly gets occupied with studying something, visiting family, or going out somewhere else with my wife.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
You're right, MovieBob. I wouldn't expect anything "profound" in this era, even by Scorsese.
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to) and your continual denial of "AVATAR" not being utter shit spray painted with gold leaf is laughable. Stop it. For your own sake.

!!HOWEVER!!
--You presented Scorsese nicely (nice factoid at the end there), your ability to keep from truly spoiling the ending deserves some applause (most reviewers can't even do THAT right), and I really appreciated how you mentioned that, especially in these times, a truly original story is hard to come by/pretty much nonexistent. It's HOW your story is presented that matters...

...Unless you have absolutely NOTHING unique about your story, except for some cosmetic changes to the abundant cartoonishly overblown cliches that populate your rancid copy-paste work. Then, you're AVATAR (and over half of Hollywood's films these days).

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Ian Caronia said:
You're right, MovieBob. I wouldn't expect anything "profound" in this era, even by Scorsese.
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to).
Umm..that's a Boston accent, and that's his...he isn't trying to fake anything.

(what a re....)0o

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
Dark Templar said:
But he is a moron. In the same sense that before that he was a baby. Its symbolic. He doesn't know anything about the place he is in, nothing about the ecosystem or the culture of the Na'vi. They aren't being mean to be funny, they just won't recognize him as an adult until he learns. IE grows up from a baby, stops being a moron. It is symbolic of his growth and journey. Its called tough love. :)

Yhea the humans villains where bullshit, but I still hated them. And you are supposed to hate the bad guys. I didn't see it as a humans are evil and nature is good type story to be honest. Just the filthy corporate out for nothing but money are evil.

I don't think of everyone who hates avatar as an internet poser, only the ones who post one sentence responses.
He... Was in an alien rainforest! Of course he wouldn't know how to survive! Because it's an alien rainforest! The movie even said that he didn't have time to learn about the planet! What kind of teacher teaches students by calling them morons and babies and stupid humans? The audience actually laughed at that. There was nothing symbolic about it. There was a pause for laughter.

And just because evil nasty corporations exist in real life doesn't mean that making them transparently evil is good writing. It just seemed lazy to me. And I thought that the name "unobtainium" was a joke. It wasn't. Maybe it was a joke on the writer's part, but the characters said it straight-faced.

I'm fighting a loosing battle, because we can keep at this all day, and I'm in the minority. So I'll agree to disagree. It just wasn't my style. And I just want Bob to stop pointing out how all the Avatar haters blindly compare it to other movies to pose on the internet. Because this is the third time he has done it.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
ramik81 said:
Ian Caronia said:
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to).

(what a re....)0o
Are you being serious? GO watch his other reviews right now and tell me if that's his real accent. Also, we call it a Brooklyn accent where I'm from.

-If you're not serious and just taking the piss outta me, then... Well played, sir.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Ian Caronia said:
ramik81 said:
Ian Caronia said:

(what a re....)0o
Are you being serious? GO watch his other reviews right now and tell me if that's his real accent. Also, we call it a Brooklyn accent where I'm from.

-If you're not serious and just taking the piss outta me, then... Well played, sir.
That's because he hides it most of the time, I would hide mine too if people kept giving me ignorant responses like how you're doing...>>

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Aww your accent is adorable! I was expectinv you to shout BROOKLYN RAGE at any moment XD

Great review, think i'll go see it if it ever comes out in this godforsaken backwater island I call home.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:
Dat Brooklyn Accent Makes it dificult to consentrate on card games.
Screw the ratings I have money!
Attention Duelists! My hair is surprised that so many people know about this!
Oh my, a giant pair of breasts are coming towards us.

[HEADING=3]BROOKLYN RAGE![/HEADING]
I'm used to giant breasts... in America.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Why the sudden accent? It's happened before and I've never known why, does it sometimes 'flare up'?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Longshot said:
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:

We like giant breasts too, because shut up.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
This is already out? I must see this! Scorcese is my favorite director, I've loved every movie of his (Except Taxi Driver because I've yet to see it).

Must. See. now.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Hooray for Brooklyn
Jaranja said:
Longshot said:
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:

We like giant breasts too, because shut up.
How FABULOUS!

Naow weez can tawk guud, loike whad oi do

But seriously, where the hell did that accent come from?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:

[mai] My breasts are not fake! [/mai]

OT: I'd love to leave a comment in Bostonian, but I only speak American. A shame, really...

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:

OT: I'd love to leave a comment in Bostonian, but I only speak American. A shame, really...
I WILL DEFEAT YOU, BINKY BOY!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Jaranja said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Jaranja said:
Benjeezy said:
Ursus Astrorum said:
Hawkeye16 said:

I WILL DEFEAT YOU, BINKY BOY!
I've got you a stab in the eyes for your birthday. I hope you don't already have onnneee~~~!