Escape to the Movies: Shutter Island

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Jaranja said:
Mr.Tea said:
Hawkeye16 said:
Dat Brooklyn Accent Makes it dificult to consentrate on card games.
bikeninja said:
heh, Bobs got his angry New York accent again.
Freebird. said:
Wow, your Brooklyn accent's really strong in this one. Anyway, I haven't heard of this movie before but it looks good. I might have to check it out.
Sovvolf said:
Happy Birthday movie Bob. Why the New Yawker accent?. I haven't seen this movie just yet but well Scorsese hasn't failed me yet and I've been looking forward to playing this movie since I saw his name on it.
Jaranja said:
[HEADING=3]BROOKLYN RAGE![/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]He's from Boston! It's a Boston accent![/HEADING] The Departed? Good Will Hunting? TF2 Scout? Anyone?
I was just going with what other people said. I'm just here to reference Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series, Binky Boy.
Hey guys, I think we accidentally this thread :p

Moviebob is gonna Brooklyn Rage all over us X(

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Personally, I just wish people could make up their minds whether Avatar is a clone of Pocahontas or Dances With Wolves...

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Haha that's funny you mention the twist being so easy to spot. I caught it right in the beginning and my dad said "you make movies unenjoyable". It was a fun movie to watch overall, but the end felt a bit dragged on. :)

MaltesePigeon

Feb 3, 2010
I went to see this movie tonight mostly because it was done by M.S. It was well written, directed, and acted. I have to say that everything about this movie was well done.

But when I left I didn't feel like I had fun. It's obvious from the trailer that the story can go one of two ways. It's either going the Sixth Sense twisty route or Book of Eli straightforwardness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in a taste test between Coke and Pepsi I would choose Mountain Dew.

Twist or no twist it's all starting to taste the same.

And Avatar was Crystal Pepsi: Same taste, different look.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I had a very interesting time with this movie. It started out alright, kind of a straightforward mystery thriller with a troubled protagonist (wow, that was vague of me), but when the aforementioned twist DOES occur, the whole package gets better. We quickly re-experience the events in light of the revelation, even as Leo's character does the same. We rebel against the idea right along with him and ultimately, we accept it as well. The film does a wonderful job of keeping the viewer psychologically in step with the protagonist. At least, that was my experience.

And personally, I didn't really see the twist coming. I suppose if I had spent a little time during the movie trying to outsmart it, I might have come up with it, but I was too busy watching it. Crazy, right? I like get inside a film and really experience it as I watch it. I've become rather adept at suspending my disbelief long enough to enjoy a film and its twists, no matter how "obvious" they may be in retrospect.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Great review, similarly good as Shining? Makes me want to see this one, oh and happy bday Bob!

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
If the presentation is done well enough the movie should be interesting.

Songbird-O said:
And just because evil nasty corporations exist in real life doesn't mean that making them transparently evil is good writing.
The corporation wasn't that evil. Instead of using bombs, a simple virus that attacked the Na'vi's connection with all the things around them would have completely devastated the culture. If the company had enough tech to make full bodies, they had enough tech to make biological weapons. After that point it would be a simple manner to win over infected Na'vi to your side and quickly overpower the few left.

It's not like they would understand what was happening. Knowing how to counteract viruses is something that comes with civilization. Without that knowledge, superstitions would develop along with prejudice and discrimination between even the same tribe members.

If that didn't work, a second virus that caused death would be easy as well(Or nuclear weapons. Its not like it wasn't a multi-billion dollar corporation.)

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Benjeezy said:
Moviebob is gonna Boston Rage all over us X(
Fixed.

I like that Bob unfettered his accent for this one, given the setting and, judging from other reviews, the level of accent affectation.

Also, I'm definitely going to see this, and will try to keep the ol' trope dissecting lobe quiet during the film.

Lastly, happy birthday, Bob!

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
*New Englander facepalm* at the accent.

Oh, ballsacks, I've never even met anyone who sounds THAT Bostonian, and I live in a suburb of it. *eats baked beans and chowdah*

I auditioned for this move :(

And Paul Blart.

Fucking Paul Blart.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
mesoforte said:
If the presentation is done well enough the movie should be interesting.

Songbird-O said:
And just because evil nasty corporations exist in real life doesn't mean that making them transparently evil is good writing.
The corporation wasn't that evil. Instead of using bombs, a simple virus that attacked the Na'vi's connection with all the things around them would have completely devastated the culture. If the company had enough tech to make full bodies, they had enough tech to make biological weapons. After that point it would be a simple manner to win over infected Na'vi to your side and quickly overpower the few left.

It's not like they would understand what was happening. Knowing how to counteract viruses is something that comes with civilization. Without that knowledge, superstitions would develop along with prejudice and discrimination between even the same tribe members.

If that didn't work, a second virus that caused death would be easy as well(Or nuclear weapons. Its not like it wasn't a multi-billion dollar corporation.)
I think that if we ever need to elect a supervillain president of the world, I know exactly who my write-in is going to. :D

philzibit

May 25, 2009
It was a great movie that suffered from the editing. Unsung hero or not, it was choppy and full of continuity errors. Also awful green screen, considering they could have actually filmed the forest drive in an actual forest.

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
Ian Caronia said:
ramik81 said:
Ian Caronia said:
You're right, MovieBob. I wouldn't expect anything "profound" in this era, even by Scorsese.
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to).
Umm..that's a Boston accent, and that's his...he isn't trying to fake anything.

(what a re....)0o
Are you being serious? GO watch his other reviews right now and tell me if that's his real accent. Also, we call it a Brooklyn accent where I'm from.

-If you're not serious and just taking the piss outta me, then... Well played, sir.
Ahem:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/561-MovieBob-Oscar-Show

Check out 0:29.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Great review as always. I also enjoyed the cheesy Brooklyn accent. Birthday wishes to ya, sai. Long days, pleasant nights.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
PunchClockVillain said:
Ian Caronia said:
ramik81 said:
Ian Caronia said:
You're right, MovieBob. I wouldn't expect anything "profound" in this era, even by Scorsese.
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to).
Umm..that's a Boston accent, and that's his...he isn't trying to fake anything.

(what a re....)0o
Are you being serious? GO watch his other reviews right now and tell me if that's his real accent. Also, we call it a Brooklyn accent where I'm from.

-If you're not serious and just taking the piss outta me, then... Well played, sir.
Ahem:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/561-MovieBob-Oscar-Show

Check out 0:29.
Well...shit. Alright, then, I guess his "Boston" accent is real, but my opinion of his review still stands (an opinion that was cut in half when quoted). Thanks for the proof, PunchClockVillain. Now I [can] watch his review without bleeding ears.