Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I was kinda hoping there would be at least one mention of how Lady Gaga was in this movie. I am curious how she is as an actress.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Well Bob, got to say, that was one bottle of scotch and a carton of marlboros well spend. Good job on the voice.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
I think Eva Green really can act but people do tend to get fixated on her appearance but that was a very good point about the internet Bob. The voice made me chuckle please do more of that.

I can't quite decide if I want to go watch another one of these, I liked the first one this might be like the Dark Knight Rises. It's more of what I liked but somehow not quite as enjoyable...

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
kickyourass said:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness. And from the sounds of it the movie really wasn't good enough to warrant such effort on the review. Soooo, yeah.

As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.
I think that was the point, my guess would be the movie was to boring to do a normal review so he threw in the gimmick to make if more interesting to actually make. Overall I thought it went a little long toward the middle than picked up again towards the end I liked so I liked it towards the end.

As for the movie eh sounds boring the art style thing still looks cool but that's about it, and its impossible for me to find a person on a screen very attractive so I guess its a pass.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I honestly didn't like the style of the review. By all means, joke and satirise that kind of narration/presentation, but not for an entire episode, the joke gets old really quickly.
As for the film, I'll check it out, as I liked the first one, and quite enjoyed the comics. They're hardly the greatest examples of their respective formats and the genre, but good enough that I'm going to give A Dame to Kill For a chance.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
To be fair, Eva Green always brings it. Hell, go watch Penny Dreadful if you want to see her in something good instead of having her elevate schlock (fun schlock, but still schlock)...

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Jandau said:
To be fair, Eva Green always brings it. Hell, go watch Penny Dreadful if you want to see her in something good instead of having her elevate schlock (fun schlock, but still schlock)...
The reason people need to go see Penny Dreadful is DEFINITELY for the gay werewolves.

Sorry, bisexual werewolves.

OT:
Yeah I don't plan on seeing this, that's all I can say. This review only helps that viewpoint.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh God, that voice...
Bob, just stop. Gimmicks are not your thing. Just review the damn movie. See, now I have no idea if you liked it or not. Too many noir pros, not enough substance.
To quote Bob, you bleed substance for style.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Huh. So Bob... liked it? The voice-over this time was pretty funny and got the mood going. I also liked your analysis of Frank Miller and the style of his Sin City books.
You really want inside Frank's head? Read his 20 Questions Interview with Playboy. He is quite mad, naturally, but he's also self-depreciating and proud to call himself a "troublemaker." He also said he loves Superman, he just has a funny way of showing it.
kickyourass said:
As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.
It also helps that Jessica Alba's still easy on the eyes.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I, for one, liked the voice over. Made a review for an (apparently) so-so movie that I wasn't too interested in to begin with (didn't care for the first one) entertaining to watch. And about as "deep" as most "noir" stories.

Also loved the shoutout to Brick. Man that was a good movie.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I....am so....confused. Not a fan of this thing Bobby Boy, couldn't concentrate on the review because I was trying to keep track of what the hell you were saying.

I'll still go see it, I'm in the right mood for some moody violence and naked Eva Green.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
kickyourass said:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness. And from the sounds of it the movie really wasn't good enough to warrant such effort on the review. Soooo, yeah.

I'm pretty sure I at least am attracted by how terrying she is.

That said, I agree on that the whole gravelly voice gimmick outstayed its welcome. But then again, that's probably somewhat appropriate to this movie, which is most likely the fastest example of the Seinfeld Syndrome out there.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Anyone else having trouble getting it to load? Mine's all slow and stops around 55 seconds in. Refreshing isn't working. Not capped, usually no problem, other videos load fine.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Well with this one likely to completely flop at the box office (at least according to BoxOfficeMojo) I think we can finally say goodbye to Frankie-boy's career.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
kickyourass said:
It can't be both?