Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Cute gimmick Bob, but don't make a habit of it.

As for the movie, I'll probably wait for it on DVD or something.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Alfador_VII said:
Not trying to be confrontational: are there people that watched this review and seriously wondered "is he going to do every review in this voice from here going forward?"

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Jim_Callahan said:
Hungry Donner said:
I think the voice over worked for the discussion of Eva Green, but and that carried the review to the end, but the first half was a slog.
I'm... actually pretty sure the fact that it takes less than five minutes for the style to get gratingly old is both the for-serious point he's making about the movie and the central joke of the review. Note how many of the people that didn't quite get what was going on there are summarizing literally everything Frank Miller has ever been involved in in their comments by accident:

kickyourass said:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness.
Pills_Here said:
Yeah I gotta echo the sentiment about the cheesy voice over. It was kind of cute for the first minute or so but it's a bit much over the entire video.
... we should pretty much put one or the other of those on Miller's tomb stone when he finally kicks it.
While certainly not the subject of what I said (And I'm not sure how intentional that bit of commentary was on Bob's part though I can see it), I can definitely agree. Frank Miller's got serious talent but he's so, not sure what word is best, rigid, fixed, limited maybe, in his writing style that he rides this one theme and one tone so long and in everything he writes that it becomes almost painful to read. And aside from that he just looks and sounds like the most unpleasant man alive most of the time, with most creators I can usually get past that sort of thing but with Frank his unpleasant attitudes towards, well, everyone it looks like, seem to bleed into his writing. And when you're already writing a story with a lot of unpleasantness adding that kind of real-world unpleasantness to it is just too much.

spoonybard.hahs said:
kickyourass said:
As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.
It can't be both?
I hadn't thought of that. It works!

AvtrSpirit

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for trying out something new with this voice-over. You didn't have to put in all that effort but I'm glad you did. I really hope you keep experimenting with the style... maybe once a month? Apart from a few sentences here and there, it really worked. The novelty factor alone kept me hooked to the end.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Jim_Callahan said:
I'm... actually pretty sure the fact that it takes less than five minutes for the style to get gratingly old is both the for-serious point he's making about the movie and the central joke of the review. Note how many of the people that didn't quite get what was going on there are summarizing literally everything Frank Miller has ever been involved in in their comments by accident:

kickyourass said:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness.
Pills_Here said:
Yeah I gotta echo the sentiment about the cheesy voice over. It was kind of cute for the first minute or so but it's a bit much over the entire video.
... we should pretty much put one or the other of those on Miller's tomb stone when he finally kicks it.
I got the joke about the Frank Miller style of narration being annoying. I got that in less than thirty seconds. My problem is, I found the voice so distracting and so annoying that I gave up watching the video entirely after a couple of minutes. :(

The fact that the narration gets grating very quickly doesn't feel like an important enough point (or a funny enough joke) to sacrifice the rest of the video for. Making a video review that a lot of people can't watch to the end of certainly does prove the point that the voice is annoying! But it also means a lot of people won't be able to enjoy the review, or find out what Movie Bob actually thought of the film (besides the narration being annoying).

All that said, I gave up a couple of minutes into the first episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic as well, so I possibly just have a very low tolerance of stupid voices!

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
My chest feels wrong now, it's like there's a weight on it. Maybe it's from holding in the laugh and/or sigh I expected to have when he went to his normal voice. Now I have to figure out how to feel better.
edit: I fixed it with music

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Nomanslander said:
You really didn't need to do the entire review like that... really!

But with that said. Fuck this movie. I could barely stand how mean spirited and dark and gritty the original was, also so very juvenile. So, I don't plan on having a second go at it again. Not even Eva Green can sell it to me this time, as much as I can't help but to find her the most beautiful woman alive.
That's actually a pretty good description of how I feel about the first movie. I don't mind something that's a bit mean spirited, but juvenile. I think that word perfectly some up my feeling toward Sin City and Watchman.

That's only my opinion if you're a fan of Watchman.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
I'm having problems watching this video. Every other video on the Escapist works fine but this one. Anyone got a solve?

C_sector

Jan 7, 2010
Elexia said:
I'm having problems watching this video. Every other video on the Escapist works fine but this one. Anyone got a solve?
I too cannot load this video... I have no idea why :(

Guestyman

Nov 23, 2009
This and the latest ep of Uncivil War are not loading for me. Has anyone reported to the site's tech support yet or shall I?

Closet Superhero

May 24, 2009
Video finally loaded for me.

Nice review. I normally don't think Bob is funny at all, but this review was hilarious. Some great lines in there.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
Bretty Good, Bob.

Did wish that you would have mentioned how Duncan's replacement did. I am always leary of seeing movies where someone is filling the shoes of a dead actor. Never quite feels right to me.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Amazing review, colour me impressed!
You managed to cram in there your opinion on the flick while being in "character" all the time. I got so into the visuals that they yellow smiley faces were a jarring contrast, more effective that way
I now want to watch both movies back to back... and I love Eva Green; lots of charisma indeed.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
Add another one to that.
Like you said, Bob, it's only fun the first time.
Anyhow.
Is the comic really not that great? I just into comics and I was thinking about picking Sin City up but is it really more *trying* to be gritty noir and gritty noir?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Now that's a critique.

I didn't even care that I disagreed with a lot of the points because I was entertained the whole way through.

Contrary to popular opinion I would like to see more. Tailored to tone each movie reviewed of course.