Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Rokar333

Half Evil
Oct 1, 2009
Ian S said:
I think Sucker Punch for Snyder will probably be like Zardoz was for John Boorman. Both are pet projects of their directors which got critically savaged for generally being thought of as too weird, but are actually pretty good films for the people who are willing to give it a chance.
I find this really amusing, as me and my friends are going to a midnight showing of Zardoz tomorrow at a local theater, and then watching Sucker Punch next week. I for some reason always find it encouraging when I enjoy a movie that is critically panned. My family also liked Ninja Assassin (which I think joins Sucker Punch in the Metacritic 33 and under club) not because it was a good movie, but dammit we wanted to see a movie with a ninja assassin, and that's what we got.

samus17

Jun 5, 2010
No Moviebob, no! I cannot disagree more with your review of this movie. It is not deep, spiritual, OR intelligent. The line between reality and dreaming NEVER blurs. The characters are shallow, 1-dimensional, and I did not have enough time to develop any care for them. The unnesesary 1-liners that provide faux-deepness came off as REALLY annoying. See-> "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" It comes from no where, for no reason. The action is totally detached since none of it is real, so there is zero tension. Moviebob, did we even watch the same movie? This is the nerd version of the expendables. Stupid, empty and boring.

edit: you know what? Lets go watch moviebob's expendables review but imagine that it's this movie instead. I think THAT review hits this movie far better.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
DSQ said:
Watchmen the comic was better than the film.
Vastly, yes. The film made a few notable errors in translation, although the geek who complained about them to me after we saw it together made more.

"Rorschach's scary because he's killed two people."

Er, no. Rorschach's scary because he's a frickin' fanatic. He's scary because while the others are Daniel and Sally and Peter and Jim-Bob and Fred and Michelle in their costumes, fighting crime or keeping a childhood hero's legacy alive or promoting a line of lingerie or whatever, Rorschach is Rorscach. Walter Kovacs is the disguise Rorschach wears to go unnoticed. As for killing people, if you read the comic or watch the movie and come away from it thinking that Rorschach's alone in having killed people you have been spending far too much time around Faux Gnus.

Anyway, Sucker Punch seems interesting. I may well go and see that.

Black Swan was not much like what I expected at all, and now I've forgotten where they got the bath scene. Was it Stigmata or Everybody's Fool [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u55fpsbzAfk]?

Notashrimp09

Apr 27, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Notashrimp09 said:
Urgh...I feel like I just lost the raging debate I've been having with my friends over whether or not this was a male fetish movie.
Yeah, it's not. Sure the gals look great, but the reasoning for their outfits is given pretty early in, and it's almost a direct slap in the face to anyone who has gone to the movie for nothing but titillation.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed in the slightest. But my whole perspective's been from seeing the trailers, and my argument over the last week or so has been that some things may appear to be female-empowerment-slanted, when they're actually not. If the movie's a slap in the face, then it gets points in my book, even if it costs me a little dignity in a lost debate.

In this case, I'll take solid evidence for being wrong, and see the movie without (my previous) complaint.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
You're on your own on this one, Bob. But then, I hate all Snyder films, and wish he got a better writer for any of his films with his great visual imagination.

Will be missing out on it, don't particularly like fanboy pandering when it's taken way too seriously like all Snyder films. This kind of movie needs humor, not melodrama.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I just saw the movie today, and I thought it was quite good. I really liked the concept the movie had going for, and it was ridiculous and over the top. I like when a movie becomes over-the-top. The only bad thing I could say about the movie is the ending. To me, it felt kind of rushed, and there was not very much build-up to the film's climax. Other than that, I though it was a very well done movie. I'd definitely recommend seeing it.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Dora said:
Seriously, how many times throughout the course of the movie can they jump off a tall thing and land in a crouch with one arm thrown back before dramatically snapping their heads up?
If it's filmed by Zack Snyder, as many times as they goddamn want.

-m
Yeah stuff like that is mandatory in every scene, It's like how no matter whats going on if the hero is running down a long hallway a large explosion must follow close behind them ending with the hero jumping out a doorway while a giant fireball launches out behind them.

It's actually law in Hollywood the penalty for not following them is death

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Rokar333 said:
I find this really amusing, as me and my friends are going to a midnight showing of Zardoz tomorrow at a local theater, and then watching Sucker Punch next week. I for some reason always find it encouraging when I enjoy a movie that is critically panned. My family also liked Ninja Assassin (which I think joins Sucker Punch in the Metacritic 33 and under club) not because it was a good movie, but dammit we wanted to see a movie with a ninja assassin, and that's what we got.
Like I said, good movie if you give it a chance and accept it on its terms. There's some stuff in it that many people today would find campy, overwrought or unintentionally funny. But it dealt with some big ideas (namely immortality and and eugenics). I think the problem was Boorman was constrained by budget, as there's some things in that movie that he probably would have been able to realize better had he had access to more modern effects technology.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
See, this is why I love Bob's reviews. Where nearly every other critic is failing to even review the movie for what it is as opposed to what they want it to be, Bob not only reviews it for what it is, but goes even deeper than that.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
I like Zack Snyder, and enjoyed every single one of his movies. Maybe it's his Art directory or just the genre/kind of movies he does. But nonetheless in the end in never regret buying a ticket for one of his movies.

Oh and I especially love his slow-motion scenes, every slow-motion scene is better than a frantic, chaotic quick-shoot scene... where's even the point of recording a scene when you can't recognize a thing at the end?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Having seen the movie since my last post, I have to say, it's a resounding, "Eh"

I'm pretty on the fence about it. There are things about it I don't like, and there are things about it I did. Admittedly... I'm not certain which would tally out to be more... which I suppose is the definition of "On the fence"

Two things that really come to mind. The fact that I know all the action sequences are in their head just gave me a sense of detachment. I didn't care for the actions scenes so much because of this.

It also reminded me of an black and white movie I can't remember the name of. A southern spy in the civil war tried to blow up a bridge, and when he was caught, they sentenced him to be hanged. As they hung him, the rope broke and he got away. The rest of the movie is his trek to get home, and when he finally reaches his goal, just as he's about to embrace his wife... the rope snaps his neck, and he dies.

That's what this movie reminded me of.

I'd give it a C+... maybe a B-.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
Well, then. Since you've now answered the one question that was threatening to make me go see this movie (whether the teased-at notion of "It was all a dream" was anything more than that), I can safely say that I now have no desire to pay the cost of entry to see this. I know it's one of those things I'm supposed to simply love, sight unseen, but without any sort of narrative sense that any of it matters, why the fuck should I care?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I wasn't concerned about it being shallow; I was concerned about it being an overly earnest movie trying to be "deep and meaningful". I have nothing against Snyder as a director as he is competent and the so-so Watchmen adaptation's milieu of failings had nothing to do with him. However, it's obvious with this that Snyder thinks he's gone really overboard and that he should stay away from the writing table.

I have nothing against geek culture in the larger media, having liked Scott Pilgrim and being a huge fan of anime (despite way too much of it being garbage right now). Heck, I even write geek genre and am influenced by videogames, anime, and comics. But this movie just doesn't work, mostly due to Snyder's legitimate failings as a writer. I can understand wanting to like this film, but it's just not very good. At the very least you'll get some unintentional humor out of it

viperthejedi

Jan 19, 2010
Wolfwind said:
See, this is why I love Bob's reviews. Where nearly every other critic is failing to even review the movie for what it is as opposed to what they want it to be, Bob not only reviews it for what it is, but goes even deeper than that.
Or maybe Bob is wrong?

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
Sucker Punch I think is perfect Zack Snyder, it looks at first glance something good but in every way possible, it is total rubbish. Nothing about it is good in any way, even if you look at it as a simple action film it is not a good dumb action movie just like all of Snyder's other films, can't wait to see how Snyder does with Superman, and how bad it will be. Sigh.

Micheal Kandeloussi

Aug 25, 2010
you have to be joking, first you gave that piece of shit red ridinghood movie the recommendation and now this. I still want to believe in your taste in movies but man $15 on this crap was nothing but a waste.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Thank you very much Bob for telling me of th existance of this film. I have been longing for another awsome film to join the few ranks of "Good Films" in my books and it was starting to look bleak since Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass.
I'm really looking forwards to seeing this film now and I'll be taking my feminist sister along with me because it will be interesting to see her interpritation of it. (No, she's not one of thoes crazy feminists, she's normal).
We had quite a long discussion about Scott Pilgrim.

*edit* In response to people's comments about the film being female-centric and the promotional material doesn't help reduce the alienation. Maybe this is one of thoes films where a geeky dude can go and see it and take his sister/friend (geeks don't have girl friends sheesh) and say, "Look, this is a feminist film".

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
viperthejedi said:
Wolfwind said:
Or maybe Bob is wrong?
"Wrong"? A movie review is subjective, there's no such thing. I'm just saying, I like how he views things differently from most of the other movie critics I've read who are approaching this movie like it's supposed to be Inception or Memento or something.