Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
"Intelligent and moving, if utterly deranged."
So....is this the movie equivalent of Hannibal Lecter?

Seriously Bob, this is why I CAN get behind you as a critic. But you know one thing that kinda sucks? I've been VERY MUCH antici´pating this movie so it'll be hard to keep my expectations in check, just like what happened with Watchmen, where the first time I saw it I was like "Buh??" and then the second time I was like "Yay!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I know what I'm gonna do today.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
This is the first time in a while that one of MovieBob's reviews actually made me want to see a movie I knew nothing about. He's right, though, if I hadn't seen this review and just looked at a trailer, I would have totally dismissed it, just because of what I expect out of Hollywood.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
For anyone who ever read or saw the film adaptation of The Maxx, that was the best mindfuck I ever saw/read when dealing with the whole the lines of reality get blurred angle. Inception did a pretty decent job, but Sucker Punch looks closer to The Maxx's style than anything else. I'm hoping to watch the movie later this week, and I really hope it is as big a mindfuck as it looks like it is.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Just got home from seeing it and, while I don't always agree with Bob, I agree with this review entirely just as I did with his Scott Pilgrim review. This is a great movie and, quite frankly, most of the reviews you'll read about on it sites like Rotten Tomatoes are not only "wrong" about it's quality but also wrong about certain facts.

You'll see comments like "it's just technical eye candy with no emotion," which is dead wrong. I mean, the opening 5 minutes alone carry more emotional weight than most action films.

You'll see comments like "it doesn't make any sense," which is also wrong. Just like Inception, the veneer is a complex one but as long as you don't go into the movie half asleep and brain dead, it's not hard to follow.

Another frequent reviewer complaint is "the action scenes have nothing to do with the pseudo real world action they're emulating." This one really blows my mind. It's dead obvious what the connection is between the fantasy action world and the cabaret world is in every single fantasy action scene. This is probably the least confusing part in a generally not overly confusing movie, and yet I've seen it in almost every negative review of the film.

Another good one is "All the action happens in dream world, so there's no risk to the characters!" Complete BS and I'm tempted to say that this comment basically proves that the reviewer didn't even watch the movie. I mean, I know they did, but if they had there's no way they could say this.

Now, it's not a perfect movie and my main issue is really with the actresses. They look amazing and play their parts well enough, but given the emotional heft of the movie they don't all pull it off as well as they should. Better actresses would have helped here.

Basically, if you're going to believe a review of Sucker Punch, believe Bob's review because, while I'd never say a review is wrong given it's an opinion, in this case it's actually true to say that many of them are incorrect.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
Quick thoughts on the Wonder Woman costume.

The pants themselves are fine. The material they're using is godawful and makes it look like a cheap Halloween costume. And the boots being blue makes the entire lower body look a bit too much like a single blob of color.

Swap out the material for something that doesn't look like it was purchased from the local Wal-Mart, go with some red boots, and I'm sold on the costume design.

Not that I have high hopes for the series as a whole, though. Everything I read just makes it look like more and more of a trainwreck.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Apples_McGrind said:
Scars Unseen said:
DearFilm said:
Scars Unseen said:
DearFilm said:
Pro Tip: If you want a movie to be successful, don't compare it favorably to Scott Pilgrim.
I liked Scott Pilgrim. I imagine I'm going to enjoy Sucker Punch immensely.

One pattern that I've picked up on... If Movie Bob gives a recommendation, even if it goes against the general consensus of other film critics, I'll usually like what the movie has to offer. It's when he pans a movie (especially if he invokes the Rant of Bob) that I usually ignore him. This holds even more true with his opinions on video games.
Personally, I found Scott Pilgrim the movie to be fun and energetic for the first third. The second third was draggy and the last third was confused and tonally uneven. Scott Pilgrim the character, on the other hand, as a complete loss on me. A serially depressed, mopy loser.

As for Bob, he is one of the few critics I cannot predict, and that makes him unique and special to me. I love watching his reviews and placing them against my own thoughts on films.
I think the pacing issues primarily stem from the fact that it's a feature length film adaptation of a 6 volume comic. I can forgive it that, and really didn't even notice on the first viewing (because I was too busy having fun watching it). As for the character, I think that, after reading the comic, Michael Cera wasn't the best casting decision they made with that movie. The problem is that I can't really tell you who would fit the character.

All in all, I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim for what it was, and believe that the only real way to improve it would be to stretch it into TV series, preferably of the sort that HBO would host, or possibly some of the better SciFi Channel mini-series (BSG, Dune, etc). Oh, and change the Katayanagi twins back into robot engineers instead of the lame retcon into DJs. That would be great.
Personally, I loved the movie the first time, but did feel a little held back by the pacing. The second time I watched it though, The pacing issues totally vanished. It felt like once you know where the movie is going, Scott Pilgrim's pacing is actually perfect for the kind of movie it's trying to be. Give it another watch, you may be surprised.
I can understand the fact that some people like Scott Pilgrim, but to me the entirety of the film just was lost on me, and I suppose I was galvanized in my position by the overwhelming amount of "Yea, but..." style good will it had going for it.

I've got a web site of reviews that actually features a lengthy breakdown of Scott Pilgrim I wrote after my second viewing. It probably does a better and more thorough job of describing my feelings towards the movie than I can in this alotted space.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Huh, interesting. Every other review I've read has said that it's just superficial pandering to 14-year old boys, are you sure there's a deeper meaning or are you just reading too much into it? o_O

Almost makes me want to see it so that I can decide for myself :-/

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Oh thank god, the only reference I got for this movie was from that tomato site where the entire film critics bashed it for exactly what you said they would, leaving me without any scope for the actual plot and development of the movie. Thanks Bob, I don't know where I'd be without you.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Notashrimp09 said:
Urgh...I feel like I just lost the raging debate I've been having with my friends over whether or not this was a male fetish movie.
Yeah, it's not. Sure the gals look great, but the reasoning for their outfits is given pretty early in, and it's almost a direct slap in the face to anyone who has gone to the movie for nothing but titillation.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
wootsman said:
im sorry but this movie looks incredibly stupid im not watching it
Says the user with a Lucky Star character as his avatar...That show is the epitome of "looks stupid"

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
After watching this, my main gripe is that this consists of 3 short movies uncomfortably stitched together.

First, there's the meta as fuck incoherent superplot of perception of reality and fantasy that makes me feel as if Zach went "and we connect it all with a Brazil style meta-world that makes sense because...
...because...
...Sod it, we'll let the viewers figure that out"

Second, there's the dramatic tale of the inmates and their impending doom, which as far as drama goes is reasonably competent but clashes horribly with the rest of the movie.

Third, there's the hilariously over the top action scenes involving giant metal samurai with Gatling cannons, steampunk nazi Imperial German zombies and dragons because FUCK YEAH.

If I'd had to give a score to each of these segments on their own merits in their relevant categories, I'd rate them 3/10 6/10 9/10 in that order.

It's kind of like a slightly worse version of Inception, not in terms of how dreams work but in that nobody but pretentious gits gives a flying fuck about the main character being emo about his kids and everybody is simply waiting for the next zero gravity punchout or arctic fortress assault.

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
I think my first problem here is that I saw and really didn't like Watchmen all that much. I'm probably just going to be in the "hate" category here.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I saw a preview several months ago (Jan? Feb?) and while it looks fancy to the eye...its (like Ive seen said about a dozen times now) about 16 different plots going on all at once..

I have no real want to see this..

Also,

Can you review the movie? Ive noticed a raving hardon for X director from now on...

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Now I'm conflicted. When I saw the trailers, I shook my head at all the shameless sexualization and fetishization of mental illness and trauma. True, the WWI imagery and the whole dream-of-an-victorian-asylum-inmate thing was very tempting, but I decided not to support the underlying gratuitous basis.

But you say it's NOT pandering, MovieBob. You say it has depth, that the female characters aren't shallow, persecuted pinups; they're well-rounded, empowered women. One look at Rotten Tomatoes shows you're the minority here--my fav critic, A.O. Scott, specifically targeted the film as hiding the voyeurism behind the ass-kicking. Hm. Is your love of the spectacular, the campy, and the sexy clouding your vision, Bob? :/

Sure, a ton of ppl will find it entertaining. But as for me, I'll have to have more evidence before I can justify this fare. :eek:

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

I'm hoping this is one of those times I agree with Moviebob. (which is more likely for his film choices, it has to be said.)

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Watching, but I am still sick of pretty girls doing karate, and the fanboy pandering is just almost to the level of gross misconduct, touching story underneath or not.

Even if it's in their head. Oh yeah, and to get ultra nit picky, Adolescent girls in the 1950's? I highly doubt they would even know what yoroi looks like to imagine it. Even if they were crazy. Let alone a katana. what is wrong with her wielding a good old american sabre?