Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
I've been waiting for this film for about 9 months now and am SO excited! Zach Snyder is possibly my favorite director of this generation

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I'm going to see this movie, but I disagree with MovieBob (and I usually don't) because in a way I always get the feeling that the "chick" factor of a Movie overpowers his senses... Or maybe it's just my imagination but I still can't forget Salt for example (Both his review and the movie :S :p :mad: )

But maybe it's me. Also I really tried to like Scott Pilgrim, especially since I loved the comic/graphical novel... But the movie was just dumb... My then girlfriend and me had a shared moment of embarrasement in the concert/fight scene between the yeti and the dragons... It was just bad.

Still, I think I will see this movie to support Zack Snyder (I really liked Watchmen and some parts of 300) and I want him to suceed (Superman)... Also any movie with a Giant metal Samurai wielding a mini gun has a couple of stars in my book.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
DearFilm said:
Pro Tip: If you want a movie to be successful, don't compare it favorably to Scott Pilgrim.
I liked Scott Pilgrim. I imagine I'm going to enjoy Sucker Punch immensely.

One pattern that I've picked up on... If Movie Bob gives a recommendation, even if it goes against the general consensus of other film critics, I'll usually like what the movie has to offer. It's when he pans a movie (especially if he invokes the Rant of Bob) that I usually ignore him. This holds even more true with his opinions on video games.
Get out of my head!!

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
I'm was going to check out hobo with a shotgun first then see sucker punch it might surprise like sherlock homes did.

Mushroom 118i

Jan 21, 2009
2 things that sold it for me.

Pro female outlook

Comparison to Scott Pilgrim

Lucky I've got free tickets then I guess :D

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Since MovieBob's opinion of every other Snyder film seems 100% wrong to me (i.e., 300 was barely watchable and Watchmen didn't even meet that low bar), I'm pretty sure this movie won't work for me either. Seems like definite Netflix streaming material.

And really, it's kind of sad how you can predict these reviews with a mathematical formula based on skirt length and cup size.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Well I must say the only reason why I would want to watch this movie is to see samurai with chainguns. And that's the only reason. A bit sad isn't it?

Now they should had the samurai with the chaingun actually killing the protagonist and have the story picked up from his side of view. That would be pretty interesting. Not to mention it would be a take that for boring invincible protagonists. :p

So this is pretty much a rent for me. :p

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
After hearing it had been universally panned- I was very upset. I harbored a flame for this movie since the first trailers, and your review has reignited my intrigue.

Yes, I will see it.

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
Gxas said:
SON OF A *****!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...
The same thing happened to me! Only it was my roommate. Screw it, I'll just find other people to go with.

SgtWaffles

Apr 5, 2010
I don't expect it to be a "rich" movie full of interesting dialogue and meaningful characters.I want to see it because it has Guns, Babes, Explosions, Samurai, WW1, Dragons, etc. It has almost everything I like =D

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've been on the fence about this movie since Comic-con, but after watching this I might give it a shot.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
castlewise said:
I think Bob and I have different taste....
You're not the only one, metacritic had it at 37/100 this morning and 35/100 now (17 points lower than 'Never say Never')...god knows what it'll be down to by Monday...

chuckwendig

Jun 29, 2010
As always, a big YMMV --

I posted my review a couple hours ago. It's a review, but also talks about takeaway lessons for storytellers.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/03/25/sucker-punch-lessons-learned/

I am a big Snyder fanboy, but while SUCKER PUNCH has some good things going for it, the action sequences were, for me, actually kinda dull.

Again, YMMV.

-- c.

Sep 17, 2009
Zach Snyder is a horrible director.

His only good work was 300 and that succeeded more in pure machismo and one-liners than in actual directing prowess.

Bob your blind love of his work has truly gone over the top here.

This movie is without a doubt male pandering. Sure you can argue that this is an example of the post-femisint movement at its finest, but it is not. Simply pure eye candy.

Also referring to Zach Snyder as the brightest mind of directing while calling Frank Miller drivel is laughable.

This movie may do will in theaters, but it will go down as another failed Zach Snyder project and ultimately just be referred to "oh, that movie the 300 guy made...heard it sucked".

He needs to learn that slow-mo, flash, and overstimulation does not make a good movie.

I have just really been disagreeing with your reviews Bob, but I still love Big Picture...so keep that up.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
I tried to watch the spill review for this, but, whatever the tone used, referring to the reason for rape as "he didn't get no money, so he gonna get some ass..." Yeah, not for me.