Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Osmadiel

Mar 20, 2011
I just watched the IGN review and the guy totally hated it. Said it was no inception and lacked any coherent story. 2 out of 5. After watching this review I'll see it to make up my own mind. seems Bob was right about it being polarising.

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
I just came back from watching it with my girlfriend, and I've got to say it was quite good. Visually entertaining, the music was fabulous, the actresses were great and the story was just the right amount of confusing with a pretty damn morbid ending. And that old guy was hella badass.

Ian Lutz

Jan 23, 2011
I really have to see it now. I agree with you a good bit of the time, but it is amazing how well this movie didn't go well with the major bulk of the critics. Like I said, looks like i'll have to take a look for myself.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
Two things about this movie: #1) It treats hot women almost like when you get caught smoking and your parents make you smoke an entire carton. By the end, you're just not looking at the hotness of the women in the same way, and you cease to care about it.
#2) After the first fight scene with the stone samurai giants, I leaned over to my friend and said: " Is it wierd to have a boner right now?" Then he said: "It would be wierd not to have a boner."

voidspawn

Mar 1, 2010
Corey Longest said:
One thing Bob left out was the amazing music in the movie, especially the at the very begining of the movie. Its so fucking epic!
Bjork and epic should not be utteted in the same sentence... Ever.

AgentDarkmoon

Mar 20, 2010
I hated Watchmen, and I hated Scott Pilgrim. One was because of the film director and one was because of the story. So Bob praising this so much confused me after seeing previews, especially with bringing them into it.

Having seen it, I really wonder if Bob lets his obvious adoration for that director get in the way of his objectivity. I disagree with nearly everything said in this review. While it may be a movie worth seeing, I don't feel that it's worth seeing twice, and only saw it once because my friends wanted to and I wanted to gauge it for myself. One guy liked it for action sequences and music. One guy liked it for 'hot chicks fighting while wearing almost nothing'. The other girl felt it was overall 'meh' and that nothing stood out, and that it had a lot of problems. I feel as though the action parts were acceptable (but had a few flaws, such as the repetitiveness of the whole 'slow mo jump and twirl over some danger object then land gracefully' bit). I didn't have any connection with the characters- I basically shut my mind off and sat there watching a nearly video game tier presentation jump around.

My biggest argument with it is a major spoiler so I won't post it here. Suffice to say that I'd like to take any and all claims that it's a female empowerment movie and shove them where the sun don't shine, since no female is either actually empowered, or even manages to succeed by herself/on her own. EVER. A voice-over or few lines of dialogue mean nothing when a different message is visually hammered into you.

Also, who makes a movie where not a single female character ever wears full length proper pants.

Also, did anyone else feel like some of the "hero" portions felt kind of like final fantasy, especially with Rocket's ridiculous hair spikes?

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Obviously Bob has not seen any Pakistani or Indian drama,otherwise he would not say "every movie panders to a male audience". Almost every one of the has men as the bad guys and everyone of them is panders to a female audience. And even those that aren't like "Nadaniyan"(which introduced the Pakistani Mr Bean to TV audience) shows men as stupid.

That is why I can't even beer listening to my sisters watching Pakistani or Indian dramas right in the next room.
The only good Pakistani movies I can think of are "Khuda Ke Liye" and "Jinnah The Movie".

Also, I knew from the trailers themselves that this would make men the evil villains. So I hated this movie even before hearing this review because I have already heard too much of Pakistani's media's anti-male bias and can not tolerate any more from this movie.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I loved the action and the music in this movie. I didn't feel the characters were deep enough so that kinda killed the story. The movie got a low review I think because it's mostly like a video game into a movie. I liked it! :)

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
I liked watchmen. It had its epic moments. But I wouldn't even approach praising it to the point that Bob does. And now in this review he seems more inclined to talk about how amazing Snyder is for directing Watchmen than anything to do with Sucker Punch. I think I'm going to side with the overwhelming critical opinion here and give this one a miss.

Also: regarding Watchmen. How is that a movie that will satisfy pure action fans? Are you kidding me? It's 2 and a half hours long, and that's not even the vastly superior directors cut. The action scenes are generally pretty durned good, especially when they include Jackie Earl, but there's way too much other stuff padding it out... whatever. Point is that I do not trust any bob review for a Zack Snyder film, he is way too much fanboy and not enough critic. My opinion

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Boy, the box office is really struggling. I hope this teaches Hollywood a lesson. The American consumer is rejecting what you're trying to do, Hollywood execs. It's 2011 and you better get with times soon, guys, I don't care how bitter you are.

CitizenV

Jun 15, 2010
Dora said:
I'm sorry, I just can't take this movie seriously. I know Bob SAYS that it's intelligent and deep and "refreshingly" centered on women, but if that's the case, then the marketing was a MASSIVE failure because to me it still looks like nothing more than another boring, flashy, pandering mess. Seriously, how many times throughout the course of the movie can they jump off a tall thing and land in a crouch with one arm thrown back before dramatically snapping their heads up? Even if it IS smarter than it appears, I don't think it's the audience's fault for not going to see it based on the way it IS presented.

Maybe on Netflix. I don't care about the scantily clad parts. It just looks like another boring, overly special-effect'd action flick trying to cram as many popular pieces of fantasy/sci-fi as it can into its running time. I just can't be bothered to sit through another spectacle.
I understand what your trying to say but that does sound ever so slightly close-minded. The film is not out in the UK yet so I cannot comment on its merits, but you sound like the kind of person that wouldn't go see Kick-Ass because of the name. This may not have been your intention but it is how you came across to me.

gamemeister27

Oct 26, 2009
Burck said:
gamemeister27 said:
Love it or hate it is right. My other site I go to for movie reviews has 4 main reviewers and they all hated it. They thought it was nonsense pandering to 13 year geeks combined with terrible acting and non groundbreaking visuals. I happen to agree with almost every single one of your reviews, so I guess I have to see it. Funny thing about the other reviewers is that they fit right into your age range (maybe a little older) and are huge geeks as well.

They hated Watchmen too though....I think they have something against Zack Snyder.
Dunno about Sucker Punch, but Watchmen was ACTUALLY a good movie about the downfall of American as reflected in its super heroes (which would've been more obvious if they kept the "tales of the black freighter" parts). ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, I was incredibly moved after the movie ended.

Could you send me a link to their Watchmen reviews? I don't understand how they could hate that movie. Well, it could have been something lost in translation from comic to film, but still.

As for Sucker Punch, I'm interested now, albeit entirely unsure of what I think about it. If nothing else, I'd like to watch it find out.
I went and saw it yesterday, it was pretty much everything movie bob said it was. I think the people that generally don't like Zack Snyder are going to hate this movie though, it is pretty much the purest form of Zack Snyder every (Seeing as he co wrote it, came up with the story, directed, and produced it).

eggsovereasy

Aug 24, 2010
I saw it last night and loved it. People have to understand that the film is a fantasy, and not necessarily a sexual one. When I was growing up, I would often create elaborate fantasies to disguise unpleasant events that were occurring. I would be a prisoner escaping from a dingy castle dungeon when my parents made me go walk the dog in the snow, or a forlorn slave girl when I had to wash the dishes or do laundry. So on that level, it made sense to me. It was an escapism fantasy, designed to help the fantasizer (who is not necessarily the person we all think it is, as my friend pointed out) find the strength to deal with bad circumstances. A lot of people in the movie theater were commenting (loudly) that they "didn't get it" and that "it sucks," but I think those people don't understand that it's not the audience's fantasy, it's the character's. Personally, I thought it was brilliant and I will probably go see it again at least 2 more times. :)

palsma_rifle

Feb 15, 2011
The ending was weird and unstatisfying, but everything until that was awesome.
Also, WWI German steampunk zombies in zeppelins.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
roostuf said:
i want to watch it now!
Then go watch it.

Movie Bob put it up there, it will be a polarizing movie. I was very impressed with it. The soundtrack, the visuals, most of the script.

Yes, it's not a perfect movie. The one thing I was never able to figure out was exactly when the movie took place. For some reason, that just kind of bugs me when a movie is grounded in some type of reality similar to our own, but I can't figure out when it was. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to a specific set of frames. Some of the main characters probably could have used a bit more fleshing out.