Escape to the Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Kids Deserved Better Than This

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
*Clicks play on video; footage from Amazing Spider-man*

"I'm not bias... and everyone who disagrees is a fanboy."

*Immediately stops video; shakes head vigorously*

*Resigned sigh; clicks on comment section*

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
This sounds awful, and I'm someone who only fleetingly watched the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV show (in the days of Phil Avery's Shredder). I also liked the 2007 TMNT film, sue me.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I thought I would give this a chance when I catch on TV sometimes many years down the road.
Seems like I must be drunk at the same time as watching this, not that that's a bad thing...

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Hm. Where was this outrage for the lazy, cliché, plot-hole-riddled, bland, generic Guardians of the Galaxy?

It's weird Mr. Chipman liked Guardians so much considering how much he seems to have positively hated this movie.

--Morology!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
V TheSystem V said:
This sounds awful, and I'm someone who only fleetingly watched the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV show (in the days of Phil Avery's Shredder). I also liked the 2007 TMNT film, sue me.
It was a pretty fun movie to watch. It just could've benefited from being a little bit more focused and explaining things.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ishal said:
To me, while the guy with the spear and bitchin' helmet probably was cool, it doesn't really live up to the name. This suit at least does.
The moniker is not how he LOOKS, it's about what he DOES i.e. he can SHRED his enemies due to nothing more than his own skills as a warrior. He doesn't NEED power armor or superhuman powers. It's like how in a samurai movie or Ninja Scroll where you see someone be a human buzz saw despite having nothing to go on but sheer mastery of the blade.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I want to make one small remark regarding the racebending Shredder would have had if Fichtner had played him.

Is it really that big of a deal?

I mean, when there's similar outcry regarding movies like Argo I can understand it since it involved an existing person; but from what I remember being Japanese has never been a big part of Shredder's character.

Besides, the idea of William Fichtner being Shredder just sounded so freaking cool.

Oh, and I don't want to be a wise-ass but isn't Goku an alien (extraterrestrial)? Not exactly "Japanese" in that regard :p

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Ace Morologist said:
Hm. Where was this outrage for the lazy, cliché, plot-hole-riddled, bland, generic Guardians of the Galaxy?

It's weird Mr. Chipman liked Guardians so much considering how much he seems to have positively hated this movie.

--Morology!
...because Guardians of the Galaxy was good? No, how the hell can you possibly say Guardians of the Galaxy and TMNT are on the same scale? Guardians of the Galaxy has a cameraman who knows what he's doing, have the main characters BE the characters we came to see, have action scenes that don't rely on a drunk camera to be cool, and doesn't insult my intelligence.

Actually, how exactly is Guardians laxy, plot-hole-riddled, or bland? I'll give you cliche and generic (mainly because they are the exact same thing), but that's only because that was kind of the point behind the film. It wasn't trying to do something new, but do the old really well.

Have you seen TMNT or are you someone just trying to start the troll cycle again?

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Ace Morologist said:

--Morology!
I think it may be, in part, to Guardians going about things in a "respectful" manner. It was more of a homage to movies of the genre, without having a pedigree of its own to "remain true to." Guardians is a pretty obscure title, so you almost have to "ape" other movies in order to get it to work on the big screen. TMNT doesn't have the excuse of it, or its source material, being "niche" or "obscure," and as a result having to "draw influence from elsewhere." This is just a terrible interpretation of TMNT. As Bob said, this didn't even have to be "TMNT." You could have thrown the Street Sharks, or the Biker Mice from Mars in there without changing a damn thing but the name, and still have the same movie.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Charcharo said:
But... you are biased... Bob...
That is normal though.
What's not normal is calling people who point this out "blithering idiots". I suppose Bob felt somehow threatened by that.

Every month or so I decide to give Bob another shot at movie reviewing. Am I being incredibly unlucky or is he really is this biased/intolerant?
I wouldn't call it intolerant when a person doesn't feel like coddling those who make sweeping generalizations and accusations just to satisfy their own bias. "He didn't like the movie I liked? Clearly I'm not the problem, he must be!"
Didn't he make the same exact argument in this clip? "People who say I'm something I don't feel like I am are blithering idiots?", completely disregarding any kind of argumentation?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
but from what I remember being Japanese has never been a big part of Shredder's character.
Oh, how wrong you are, being Japanese has been THE biggest thing about the Shredder and Splinter's master/owner/etc. when he was still just an everyday rat. The whole Shredder plot in the comics, first movie, and the cartoons has always come back to it being a big clan war more than anything. Comics, Splinter's master killed Shredder's older brother over a woman, which resulted in him dropping out of school(I forget the exact details, but this is basically what happens) and becoming a ninja to avenge his death. Movie, same thing happened, but Splinter ripped half his face off after killing his master, so he's got a score to settle with the rat. Cartoon, Splinter IS his master (in other incarnations) and Shredder doesn't much care for someone he screwed over still being alive.

His whole backstory is honestly very generic nowadays(though it's normally that of a protagonist), but him being Japanese and their somewhat fictional culture has been a driving force for him from the beginning. That's why fans were pissed off, he's a character that doesn't necessarily have to be Japanese to work, because we know there's a dozen other characters that are about the same, but if you're going to bring up The Shredder, it's probably best to keep him as a guy from that island country East of mainland Asia.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Redryhno said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
but from what I remember being Japanese has never been a big part of Shredder's character.
Oh, how wrong you are, being Japanese has been THE biggest thing about the Shredder and Splinter's master/owner/etc. when he was still just an everyday rat. The whole Shredder plot in the comics, first movie, and the cartoons has always come back to it being a big clan war more than anything. Comics, Splinter's master killed Shredder's older brother over a woman, which resulted in him dropping out of school(I forget the exact details, but this is basically what happens) and becoming a ninja to avenge his death. Movie, same thing happened, but Splinter ripped half his face off after killing his master, so he's got a score to settle with the rat. Cartoon, Splinter IS his master (in other incarnations) and Shredder doesn't much care for someone he screwed over still being alive.

His whole backstory is honestly very generic nowadays(though it's normally that of a protagonist), but him being Japanese and their somewhat fictional culture has been a driving force for him from the beginning. That's why fans were pissed off, he's a character that doesn't necessarily have to be Japanese to work, because we know there's a dozen other characters that are about the same, but if you're going to bring up The Shredder, it's probably best to keep him as a guy from that island country East of mainland Asia.
I see, I stand corrected. That's what I get for posting presumptuously.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Ace Morologist said:

--Morology!
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2013/ - 19%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/ - 92%

While I'm not saying Bob isn't biased, it's possible that GotG is a good movie while TMNT is a pile of steaming shit.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
I love what you said about the designs. The identical (in shape and size), but color-coded designs of the animation made each character instantly recognizable on sight. In this movie though they are covered in so much shit and minutiae to make them different, that it's counter-productive and they all blend together (just like Jim Sterling's piece - "Batman is Everything Wrong with Square Enix" - exactly the same problem). Just like the Bayformers, it's just incoherent visual shit all over the screen assaulting the audience's eyes.

And Raph is STILL holding his sai WRONG! Holy-F)@*, NO-ONE that worked on this ever even took a karate class?! No-one knows how to use Youtube?

It's a movie for kids. And I've said it before - this is a movie FOR kids, specifically and NOT for everyone including kids. And yet it evidently has very uncomfortable, very adult subtext because Bay and his cronies can't channel their hormones like fully-developed and well-rounded human fucking beings.

Can someone please, for the of love what little good there might be in Hollywood, stop letting Michael Bay and any creator with whom he is connected make things with cameras?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Sosa Star said:
I bent my pen when you were talking about their origin. WTF. Like seriously W.T.F. The kids do deserve a better movie and for mine, they'll be watching TMNT until they're old enough for the real Turtles.
Its kind of sad. In over 30 years, across 3 animated series, god knows how many comic books, and 3 live action movies each with its own style, tone, and take you'd think that they would be able to just cherry pick the stuff and make a kick ass movie. Like take the humor from the 80s cartoon, the brother dynamics and tone of the 03 cartoon with a tinge of the original Mirage books, updated character designs from the last live action franchise. Hell the fight choreography and style from the CGI TMNT movie (super underrated btw) as well. Such a shame.
So, basically you want the current IDW comic series? Because that's more or less what you've described.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Tarkand said:
erttheking said:
V TheSystem V said:
It was a pretty fun movie to watch. It just could've benefited from being a little bit more focused and explaining things.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2013/ - 19%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/ - 92%

While I'm not saying Bob isn't biased, it's possible that GotG is a good movie while TMNT is a pile of steaming shit.
Er, I think you may have quoted the wrong post there.

And I just watched the review again. So the Turtles only know ninjutsu because Splinter found a book about it, and thought it would be a good parenting guide?

...WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
What is wrong with you? You're supposed to reply by insulting my family members! Don't you know the rules of the internet?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
marscentral said:
Sadly I think everyone saw this coming. Unfortunately the "it's a kids movie so it's okay if it's crap" mentality has been way too prevalent in Hollywood for way too long. The nostalgia based franchises like Transformers and TMNT should be the best of films because they know they can appeal to kids and their parents and make a tonne of money from family viewing. Instead you have rubbish like this where the kid will walk out of the cinema and turn to his or her parents and ask, "You really liked this when you were my age?"
Agreed. 100%.

And I'm also agreeing that much with Bob. Making a movie for kids should NOT be an excuse to slack off. It should be the opposite. The original Turtles movie was fantastic. It was people in turtlesuits for crying out loud, and it was probably a billion times more relatable than the new film. The description of Michaelangelo made me want to cry. Thats what kids need to see. A turtle-horndog. Ech.

Ace Morologist said:

--Morology!
Er...I...what? Either this is a troll-post or you're talking about another movie.

A movie with a talking raccoon shooting guns and an animated tree is anything but bland and generic. Mr. Literal was also a barrel of laughs. The cast otherwise was also not in any way generic. No one was a typical hero, and there were tons of great writing, cool sci fi ideas (the spacecraft net for example, awesome) not to mention a stellar soundtrack and some very, very well designed shots.

The intro sequence with Starlord dancing into the ruins and the huge Guardians logo...brilliant, the scene in the prison with raccoon explaining his plans and Groot...doing stuff in the background, fantastic.

You might not have LIKED the movie, but in no way, shape or form was it a badly made film.