Escape to the Movies: The 2010 MovieBob Awards

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Addicted Muffin said:
SamElliot said:
I'm shocked they picked Edwards to make the next Godzilla. A lot of bigger directors wanted to do one (even Tarantino is said to have had an idea for one), so why not put it in the best possible hands (well, besides it costing less to hire someone cheap)?
lol, could you imagine a Tarantino godzilla movie?
Can you imagine a Tarantino anything movie? Only Tarantino knows how his mind works. I'm sure we all had preconceptions for what Tarantino WWII movie would look like - proconceptions that Inglourious Basterds blew away like a 12-gauge to the back of the head.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Addicted Muffin said:
SamElliot said:
I'm shocked they picked Edwards to make the next Godzilla. A lot of bigger directors wanted to do one (even Tarantino is said to have had an idea for one), so why not put it in the best possible hands (well, besides it costing less to hire someone cheap)?
lol, could you imagine a Tarantino godzilla movie?
Can you imagine a Tarantino anything movie? Only Tarantino knows how his mind works. I'm sure we all had preconceptions for what Tarantino WWII movie would look like - proconceptions that Inglourious Basterds blew away like a 12-gauge to the back of the head.
I imagine that a Tarantino Godzilla movie would have at least one 30-minute long scene where Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, and Anguiras are sitting on Monster Island talking about the obsession with Hiroshima in Japanese cinema. Then, someone calls Mothra a dyke, leading to a shootout involving lasers and radioactive fire.

Steefness

Dec 11, 2010
Splice was just fail, sorry bob, but I cannot get on board with your enthusiasm for a movie that is a bad mix of Frankenstein and Hentai. The two leads were not believable scientists, the only thing that seemed believable out of Sarah Polley was her natural instinct to treat Dren like her mother treated her. This ends up being a poor selling point because it just gave me more reason to hate her. Adrien Brody was his usual single emotion self, which worked in Predators, but not when you're actually trying to have some sort of emotional attachment to the character. I usually agree with you bob, but I am really interested to know what you were consuming prior to seeing this the first time.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
No mention of Dane Cook as the Green Lantern? As soon as I saw that trailer I didn't want to see the movie.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Are you joking, MovieBob? A crappy year? Try Inception, The Social Network, The Fighter, Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, Toy Story 3, Black Swan, How To Train Your Dragon, Splice, Despicable Me, The King's Speech, 127 Hours, Youth In Revolt, The A-Team, I could list way more but you see my point. I'm blown away by how you could bash a year that, frankly, has been one of my favourites in a while.

Also nice Mel Gibson rib. Not like he's been completely despised all of this year and most of last..

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, what is up with things being in the trailer but not in the final movie. Iron Man 2 which got best trailer award did not have the 'you complete me' while jumping out of the plane line which was heavily sold in the TV promos. It is almost like false advertising to me. Alright that they sell a movie as being good when it isn't, but selling on footage that is not actually in the movie. That is a new level or wrongness....

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Chrissyluky said:
No mention of Dane Cook Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern? As soon as I saw that trailer I didn't want to see the movie.
I could see the confusion, but the difference is that Reynolds is actually funny, sometimes.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
I don't know.
True Grit, King's Speech, The Fighter, Black Swan, Scott Pilgrim, KickAss, Machete, Social Network, Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, The Town, City Island, Red, Tangled, 127 Hours, Exit Through the GiftShop, Easy A, Inception
That's just off the top of my head. Was a great year for animated films and dramas. But almost every action and horror sucked balls save for a few notable exceptions.

Splice not being one of them, for me. I found it okay, but terribly overrated.
The Last Exorcism was better, cept for the POS last three minutes which nearly ruined the whole fucking film. Watched it on redbox, prob the best acted, most realistic, and serious handheld cam horror film I've ever seen.

Maso-kun

Aug 19, 2010
For all of the people wondering why Bob did not mention the movies he loved is because people have a better propensity for remembering the negative rather than the positive.

I plan to watch Splice as soon as it comes out on cable or my friend rents it from Netflix, which I hope is soon on either account.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
SamElliot said:
Chrissyluky said:
No mention of Dane Cook Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern? As soon as I saw that trailer I didn't want to see the movie.
I could see the confusion, but the difference is that Reynolds is actually funny, sometimes.
Completely forgot about that guy they look incredibly similar.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
what was that "why?" about at the end just before the credits? The one MovieBob underlined with "the most baffling question etc etc"?

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
Haha the Godzilla bit was hilarious. I still have high hopes for it, after all, Bob thinks Zack Snyder will make a good Superman movie, which is just crazy. ZACK SNYDER IS NOT A GOOD MOVIE MAKER. Watchman sucked, 300 sucked, Sucker Punch will suck, and Superman will probably suck. Sorry, but if he can totally miss the point of Watchmen, what makes you think he'll get Superman? He's just proof that being a fan of the source material isn't always a good thing, particularly when he spends more time getting the costumes and setting spot on, that he does actually figuring out what makes the characters interesting

cloudcover

Oct 28, 2009
Probabtion? Really?
Firstly look at their profiles, Yahtzee has been a member since August 2007 and his oldest video is dated 08/15/2007. Bob has been a member since December 2008 and his oldest video was posted on 05/29/2009. If this information is misleading I apologise for being so easily duped.
As for the whole virgin geek thing watch the review for Jennifer's Body again 4:47 - 5:11. I practically paraphrased him. And he even challenges us with a big SO?
I am saying SO what about the rest of us? But then I guess your contribution rather suggests he knows his audience pretty well, and the rest of us are not catered for.
And yes, Southpark, very good.