Escape to the Movies: The Adventures of Tintin

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
SuperRobot64 said:
RanD00M said:
The Adventures of Tin Tin isn't even out yet in the US? It's been out here in Iceland for something like a month and a half, if not longer.
staying out of trouble kinsman?
You could say that. Unless you count people being mad at you on bleikt.is trouble, because if it is then I'm in a bathtub full of shit.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Marmooset said:
How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

(And please, somebody say because of the author. I dare ya.)
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/LordOfTheRings.php

That sums the reason quite nicely, I'd say.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The second I saw those Cobra banners unfurl on the White House, my jaw hit the damn ground.

And as for Tintin, I really want to see it succeed.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
shadowmagus said:
Alright, while I was interested in the Tin Tin review, you can't just step out and say "This really sucked" for Sherlock Holmes and leave it at that. Even if it was half as good as the first one, it will still be decent. Hope you pick it up next week, otherwise, bad form.
this^

plus the fact that Tin Tin isn't out in the US yet, i would have liked a Sherlock Holmes review and then a tin tin review closer to it's US resales date

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Damn it, Bob, I don't care if Sherlock Holmes sucks. There is nothing in this world that can make me watch either Hugo or Tintin, especially not in theater and even more specifically if they involve Scorsese and Spielberg respectively. I literally cannot think of more overrated sellouts than those exact men.

So I'm going to go watch Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law be handsome and phone it in, because at least somebody might get laid there and those guys phoning it in still has twenty times as much heart as Scorsese or Spielberg 'trying'. Also childrens' movies suck.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Well, I'm part of the European demographic that grew up with Tintin (Yes, it's one word).

It's arguably the most popular local comic book in Europe, along with "Asterix" from France and "Mort & Phil" from Spain. But yeah, it never has quite had a big impact in American pop culture and thus, a limited impact in global culture.

Which is a shame, really. Some people accuse Tintin of being a sappy character (Haddock seems to have more admirers, sometimes), but his adventures are very well written and really exciting.

In any case, the film itself is pretty good... but I disagree on Bob's statement that "it keeps the original source spirit".

You see, this film feels more like a Spielberg movie than a Tintin movie.

Bob mentions how many chases there are throughout the film, but the truth is that chases are a very, very small part of Tintin's action sequences. As in they very rarely happen in the comic books, and when they do, they are very short.

Also Spielberg seems to fall again in the over-the-top sequences of his last action movies. And those definetely doesn't feel Tintin at all!

I mean, in this movie there is a fencing duel... with construction cranes!!

How in the world does that fit in Tintin's adventure style?! Also it's the kind of "American" sequences that Europeans mock more often than not.

But as I said, apart from those over the top sequences, the movie is pretty great. Tintin and Haddock's personalities are spot on, and eventhough there is a big chunck from the comic books missing (Proffesor Calculus is missing, eventhough he got his very first appearance in one of the books the movie is based on), the resulting cuts are pretty well chosen and have a pretty good rithm.

I'm curious to see what Jackson will do with the Seven Cristal Balls arc, and hope they will make a third movie. Hopefully with the Moon landing arc, which was pretty great.

And seriously, if you liked the movies and would like to know a world of old fashioned adventures, go a get the comic books. They are worth every penny. :)

Sep 30, 2010
I love the Tintin comics. Most of the collections are sitting on my bookshelf right now. Personally my favorites are The Calculus Affair and The Red Sea Sharks but I can see why they went with the whole unicorn arc for the movie.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Glad to hear that Tintin is good. Perhaps the movie gods heard my prayers when I said please let there be adventure films again instead of action movies being just explosions and sexploitation.

GI Joe, yea I'm excited even if the first film was bad. Elements to GI Joe that I remember as a kid so it feels like a Hollywood film that welcomes the old fans instead of throwing out everything you liked about a cartoon or comic book in the first place. Hell just putting a proper battle mask on Cobra Commander is enough to make me willing to give the film a chance.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good to see that you liked it, I will definitely be watching this film. I even have the complete DVD collection of the Tintin animations.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, what didn't you like about Sherlock? I know he mentions it in the column, but it has spoilers. Could someone fill me in?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Found the movie rather boring...actually. Sorry to say it, love the comics (Grew up with them) but the excessive amount of set-pieces was fairly tedious for me.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Wow That was out ages ago...oh well agree with you all the wait aswome movie and CG looked good although I did have a want for the entire thing to be like the opening credits.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
GeorgW said:
Wait, what didn't you like about Sherlock? I know he mentions it in the column, but it has spoilers. Could someone fill me in?
Basically Guy Ritchie gives Robert and Jude NOTHING to work with so the best part of the previous films (the chemistry between the two) is GONE. Noomi Rapace is also given jack friggin' crap to do. They also decide to repeat that "Holmes Time" slow-mo sequence again. And again. And AGAIN. And finally, the action is also just plain boring.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Normally I agree with a lot of what you say Bob but your GI Joe review should have sounded just like your Transformers 2 review. But it didn't. The first Joe film was just awful from beginning to end. Not an ounce of decent acting, bad fight scenes, and bad effects. Now you are excited for ANOTHER ONE. I don't get it.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Kalezian said:
Marmooset said:
How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

(And please, somebody say because of the author. I dare ya.)

Because the author made the books to be relateable to places other than the U.S.
Like Sherlock Homes? The War of the Worlds? Or even Troy, fer chrissakes?
Falseprophet said:
Maybe because there isn't a single high-profile American among the cast, director, writers, or other major crew (cinematographer, composer, etc.)? Not that I can spot, anyway. (And no, you can't claim Evangeline Lilly, she's still one of us Canucks.) That's my theory for Bob's reasoning, anyway.
That may be, but if that's the case, Harry Potter's been doing it for well nigh a decade now. The series hasn't even had an American director since 2002, and they haven't exactly boycotted it in the U.S. Well, apart from it's devotion to Satan worship...
Frostbite3789 said:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/LordOfTheRings.php

That sums the reason quite nicely, I'd say.
Not at all. It shows that the U.S. Market for the rings trilogy is 35.8%. If that were energy consumption (surprisingly, we're lower) it would continue the study of what pigs we are (not that i question that one).
But wait! Let's look at some American Blockbuster trash(yes, I'm kidding, except for #3):
Titanic:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=titanic.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avatar.htm
Transformers 3:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers3.htm
All lower domestic U.S. averages than Lord of the Rings. In fact, if you look at the mojo all time list, only Movie Bob's comic book films and animated pieces seem to buck the average. But maybe that's all he's looking at.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
Producers have been marketing the world for some time now, and haven't had an aim of including or excluding the U.S. - money is money, and there are countless banks willing to convert it to something convenient. And they will continue to mine any likely established property (regardless of locale) that hasn't been snapped up.

I can see what he's getting at, but he's either using a bad example, trying to make something out of nothing, or has suddenly noticed a trend that's been going on for 20 years!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Mission Impossible 4: Kinda sucked?

Not surprised. No movie has ever been "great" for the 4th installment, and rarely passes for "good."

Sherlock Holmes 2: Really sucked?

Damn.

Tintin: Actually good?

Imma have to see it then.

Also, I enjoyed the first G.I. Joe movie, so the 2nd one looks pretty good too.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Two things:
1. Wait, Tintin isn't out in the US yet? It's been out for over a month in Sweden! What is this madness, we're usually the ones who have to wait a shitload of time for no apparent reason other than "Durr, we can't plan ahead for a worldwide release at the same time because we're not very intelligent".

2. The new Sherlock Holmes movie is bad?! BUT... What!? I... that... Moviebob! Explain!

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Well said, Bob.

I, for one, am a big fan of Tintin. I read all the comic books when I was a kid so I was extremely looking forward to seeing this movie. I've been looking forward to it all year, actually. Already saw it twice, thinking about going a third time with a friend who hasn't seen it yet.

Tintin is one of the few remaining reasons why I should be proud to be Belgian. Belgium is seriously fucked up and if it weren't for Tintin, Belgian beer, fries and chocolate, I couldn't have cared less if this country broke apart.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Billions of blistering blue barnacles in a thundering typhoon!!

I love Tintin, and I've been waiting for this movie for yonks. You Americans don't know what you're missing :)

EDIT: That's funny. Mission Impossible 4 got 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. Perhaps you could elaborate on why it "kinda sucked" MovieBob?

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
G.I. Joe= A-team rip off. Plus, it has the Rock who just...shouldn't do movies if he is going to talk in them. The trailer is well made though but so was the trailer for Spider man 3.