Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6003-Untangling-Spider-Man
You seem to misunderstand me. I mean Spider-Man as in Spider-Man, the film. Not The Amazing Spider-Man, which is a different film. It's okay. It's an easy mistake to make. Except one proves my point and the other exasperates it...
Exacerbate, not exasperate. Though exacerbation can lead to exasperation.
/Grammar Nazi.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Inkidu said:
So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D
Fantastic. Your equation will be useful for centuries to come.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I would have picked Red Hood or Hush to be the trilogy concluding villain. Although I will concede that neither would have made much sense in the context of this particular storyline. (Both of those characters have strong ties to Batman and adding them without any previous buildup would be a major asspull). Which leaves Riddler, I guess, but he's not really...epic material, I don't think.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I'm one of the people that thought The Dark Knight was just okay, so I'll probably be fine with the fact that this one is, too.

On the other hand, I'm not particularly interested in watching Batman growl at people and Bruce Wayne be an angsty prick when the aforementioned isn't happening, nor does the overall premise look particularly interesting, so I'll probably skip it anyway.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Despite its accolades and overall quality, I've felt 'The Dark Knight' actually moved away from a more ingrained comic book sort of movie. Perhaps a better way to put that is: 'Batman Begins' looked and felt more about Batman, while 'The Dark Knight' looked and felt more about a city with a caped crusader.

I'm thinking the main problem (because no film is perfect) with 'The Dark Knight Rises' is that, according to Nolan, it's a "war film"--in my opinion, his necessary step forward as a filmmaker first and a Batman helmer second. Batman has become an increasingly rare sight in the movies, and the action has been nudged further and further into daylight. I like that Nolan sorta addressed the "if Batman comes out at night, why don't the crims attack during the day?" question some of us have had, but, like I said, it pulls the emphasis away from Batman, methinks.

Not as good as 'Batman Begins'? I can accept that; that's still my favorite Nolan Batfilm thus far.

Not as good as 'The Dark Knight'? I don't think too many people expected it to reach that height; that was a box office lightning storm no one could have predicted.

Not as good as 'The Avengers'? That coming from Bob, I don't buy it for one second.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Hit the nail on the head for me Moviebob!

I thought almost exactly the same after seeing it. Except for Anne Hathaway's part...I've never really liked her and I thought her acting seemed forced and tried to 'steal the spotlight' from other actors in the movie.

Too many new characters to develop, not enough Batman, a twist that (to me) felt like a 'twist for the sake of a twist' thing (I never read the comic books) and seemed unnecessary etc. all the other stuff you mentioned I agree with.

Overall good not great. It's not as good as Dark Knight or The Avengers and I believe will be over-hyped and over-rated to the same extent that Inception is/was.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Pleas pleas please don't have spoilers, usually I'd watch the spoilers anyway, but this time I don't want to, and I would like to watch the entire episode...

And watching....

mild spoiler warning immediately, fuck.

Are you serious? I have to stop watching 1 minute in....

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
No plans on seeing it. Sorry, but the movies really did nothing for me. I found them all to be poorly paced and too long.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
On the one hand, sad that they couldn't quite live up to the last one.

On the other, never really expected it too and, let's be honest, I'm not sure 'Not quite as good as The Dark Knight' really counts as a criticism. That's like saying Jesus curing the lame wasn't quite as good as Moses parting the Red Sea. It's inevitable that movies in a trilogy will be compared to one another, but had this movie not been the sequel the TDK I think the love would still be flowing in abundance.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
notimeforlulz said:
Pleas pleas please don't have spoilers, usually I'd watch the spoilers anyway, but this time I don't want to, and I would like to watch the entire episode...

And watching....

I don't buy the "I can't review it without saying what happens" for a second, I've read half a dozen reviews by now and none of them had a single spoiler.

And this one isn't mild.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Wait, wait wait wait wait.....
You thought Inception had a narrative rhythm
Action sequence, exposition dump, the same exposition dump again, the same exposition dump for a third time (except this time Ellen Page is saying it for no adequately explained reason) another action sequence and then we're on to the next trilogy of the same fucking exposition dump again until you find out Cobb accidentally killed his wife, then another action sequence then more exposition dumps...
That's rhythm? I'm calling your criticism credentials in to question Bob.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
Fucking called it. I and have been saying for a long time that its going to be a disappointment that doesn't live up to the previous two movies. I figured it would be good, jut not a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy.
I dunno, it sounds like it lives up to the previous two movies to me.

In that I find the previous two movies to be grossly overrated for being average action flicks.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
There was talk of a Johnny Depp Riddler and a Phillip Seymour Hoffman Penguin. Sorry if I'd been Ninjad.

EDIT: And this, "I heard that Robin Williams was in consideration for the role of Hugo Strange early on in production." The Last Nomad.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
Maybe he doesn't count as A List, but I'm gonna say who I've been saying I'd love to see since Begins.

Maxie Zeus.

I think he would have been a GREAT addition to the Nolan perspective of more realistic, less kooky villains. A fellow billionaire with serious delusions and grandeur.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Phlakes said:
notimeforlulz said:

And watching....

I don't buy the "I can't review it without saying what happens" for a second, I've read half a dozen reviews by now and none of them had a single spoiler.

And this one isn't mild.
Do you mean the one that comes up about mid-way through the review?
I didn't really think that was a spoiler, unless you thought they would bring Bane into the movie franchise and NOT do the ONE thing to batman that he's almost universally known for

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I didn't like the last one for a lot of reasons, and I doubt I'll like this one. If I wanted politics mixed into fiction I'd watch msnbc or foxnews. So I'm going to pass.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Cheesebob said:
Just off the top of my head?

Black Mask - especially the second version where the director of Arkham goes nuts and becomes the villain. Lots to play with there.

Calender Man - The Long Halloween, just a perfect hunt the serial killer type theme.

Harley Quinn - Yeah she is the Jokers Girldfriend and colorful. But there is once again a nice darkness in her story as the Psychiatrist who goes nuts that has a lot to play with. Plus while being a relative newcomer to the bat universe she is well known and wildly popular. Especially among the female fans.

Hugo Strange - another shrink gone crazy (Batman seems to have a lot of those.) Possibly the coolest name out there.

Red Hood - OK this one is hard to do without having a Robin in place so to speak.

Ultramatic

Jan 12, 2010
I saw this movie two nights ago, opening night in Australia. My impressions were that it was a better film than The Dark Knight, purely because not one actor carried the film as much as Heath Ledger did. It felt more like a solid movie.