Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I didn't even care enough about Batman Begins to watch it. I might skip this one had I not have free tickets. That my mom won. On a supermarket.

Comic book movies!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have to agree. the movie is good but not as good as the previous 2. had a good time watching it and i sure will get it on dvd once its out.
but i just think that catwomans character wasnt really explained well. also have admit that it does have some weird moments in it. i dint really understand how this new cop (forgot his name now) knew who batman was. he sounded like he knew who he was when he was talking to bruce.
maybe i missed something that i dint understand this part but thats how it felt to me.

anyway, good movie, worth watching, has a satisfactory ending.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
SamStar42 said:
Gives a 'mild' spoiler warning.

Proceeds to tell the mid-film twist. Fucking hell Bob.
Which mid-film twist? That Bane breaks the Bat?

OT: This isn't a surprise. I expected it would be a good movie, but it wouldn't be as good as TDK and possibly even not as good as BB. Still, it'll get my money, if even for one show.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Exacerbate, not exasperate. Though exacerbation can lead to exasperation.
/Grammar Nazi.
Oh. *coughs, embarrassed*

Though that's not a grammar problem, I just used the wrong word. Exacerbate. Exasperate. ...you know that's a pretty easy mistake to make...! I am Australian, I struggle to remember what words mean 'n shit. Plus, I have a tendency to throw out words I've never used before and just perchance getting them 100% right, both contextually and in definition. 99% of the time it works (I consult the dictionary afterwards, not beforehand, and usually call myself a genius when I'm right. Feels good, man).

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
shadowmagus said:
SamStar42 said:

OT: This isn't a surprise. I expected it would be a good movie, but it wouldn't be as good as TDK and possibly even not as good as BB. Still, it'll get my money, if even for one show.
I've read about eight reviews. NONE OF WHICH stated that.

It's a dickmove. It might not be seen as a massive shock, but when he says 'i have to explain the plot' I didn't think he'd fucking go that far, considering that again, NO OTHER REVIEW has had to say that. Bob has pissed me off before but this is a new level.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Cheesebob said:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?
If Nolan could have worked in Owlman (somehow), that would have made for an awesome movie. Who else could go toe to toe with the Bat other than his evil counterpart? Don't know who would play him, though.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have low expectations. As soon as I heard Bane say in the trailers "I'm Gotham's reckoning," my heart sank. The big bad of this movie... is nothing more than a rehash of the first film's big bad. It's pretty bad when you already feel like you've seen a movie just by watching a trailer. Being more open and aggressive instead of being quiet and subversive doesn't make your "destroy Gotham because it sucks" plan any less "been there, done that." I don't know much about Bane beyond his Venom enhancement and "breaking the Bat", but is this really the only thing they could do with the guy? Look, I know you want to redeem his goon status from "Batman and Robin", but I'd rather see a different villain take the forefront if it meant a more original plot. Take Hush, for example... a threat more to his Bruce Wayne persona, prompting his Batman identity to take action. Or maybe something with Hugo Strange. *sigh* Again, haven't seen the film yet, but given preliminary impressions, I think I'll pass on viewing it in theatres.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Y'know, I don't remember the Joker being in "The Dark Knight". I remember this unpleasant hobo in bad clown makeup who kept showing up and stealing screen time from the truly interesting villain, Two-Face.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Kimarous said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have low expectations. As soon as I heard Bane say in the trailers "I'm Gotham's reckoning," my heart sank. The big bad of this movie... is nothing more than a rehash of the first film's big bad. It's pretty bad when you already feel like you've seen a movie just by watching a trailer. Being more open and aggressive instead of being quiet and subversive doesn't make your "destroy Gotham because it sucks" plan any less "been there, done that." I don't know much about Bane beyond his Venom enhancement and "breaking the Bat", but is this really the only thing they could do with the guy? Look, I know you want to redeem his goon status from "Batman and Robin", but I'd rather see a different villain take the forefront if it meant a more original plot. Take Hush, for example... a threat more to his Bruce Wayne persona, prompting his Batman identity to take action. Or maybe something with Hugo Strange. *sigh* Again, haven't seen the film yet, but given preliminary impressions, I think I'll pass on viewing it in theatres.
With regards to the 'Gotham's Reckoning' thing there's a reason for it both in the plot for this movie and in the context of the entire trilogy. From the outside perspective, in the first movie we've had scarecrow and the league of shadows trying to destroy Gotham and giving batman his origin story. In the second we've had the joker trying to destroy batman with an all out war between cops and organised crime as a backdrop. There's not all that much left for Bane to have a go at given how few things Bruce Wayne gives a crap about.

As for the plot reason, go watch the movie. It'll either satisfy you or it won't. (No spoilers) I found it to be a very interesting evil scheme but the motivation for the whole thing was a bit lacking.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
SamStar42 said:
shadowmagus said:
SamStar42 said:

I've read about eight reviews. NONE OF WHICH stated that.

It's a dickmove. It might not be seen as a massive shock, but when he says 'i have to explain the plot' I didn't think he'd fucking go that far, considering that again, NO OTHER REVIEW has had to say that. Bob has pissed me off before but this is a new level.
I can understand completely why you'd be pissed off but you must remember, Bob's audience-on this site at least comprise mostly of people who know the significance of Bane within the comics. Hell, chances are that most people were expecting that to happen in some way anyway. If you've seen the trailers and know the comic book lore then it's hardly a surprise.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
misterprickly said:
Kopikatsu said:
I would have picked Red Hood or Hush to be the trilogy concluding villain. Although I will concede that neither would have made much sense in the context of this particular storyline. (Both of those characters have strong ties to Batman and adding them without any previous buildup would be a major asspull). Which leaves Riddler, I guess, but he's not really...epic material, I don't think.
Isn't the Red Hood the flip-side universe version of the Joker?
Not even flip side, Red Hood WAS the Joker before he became the Joker. Although with so many different continuities and whatnot, I'm sure I'm wrong in one universe or another...

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Avengers and Batman. Apples and oranges, man. Apples and oranges. I believe Vince Mancini over at Filmdrunk put it best in his Avengers review.
The biggest difference between this and something like the Dark Knight is that where Chris Nolan is concerned with redefining genre (and can border on overly self-serious), Joss Whedon writes gushy love letters to genre (and can border on overly kitschy).
Considering this movie *gasp* changes things from the original comics, it's no surprise Bob elevates Avengers above it.

I haven't seen it for myself, but I stopped taking Bob's word on anything since Sucker Punch.

As for villains, I sent a treatment over to WB for the third movie before DK came out with Mr. Freeze out on his typical vendetta mission against the CEO of his former company. The twist was Freeze formerly worked with Alfred in a mercenary group (along with Fox), and the company he was working for was a subsidiary for Wayne Corp. Alfred and Fox left to protect the Wayne family, fearing Freeze's retribution. Alfred was to look after them at home, and Fox would watch him at work.

Freeze may not have been much in the comics before the animated series, but Dini definitely turned him into a real complex villain on par with the Joker. Freeze definitely could've stacked up beyond Riddler, and deserves better than Schwarzenegger's pun machine from Schumacher

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
misterprickly said:
Kopikatsu said:
I would have picked Red Hood or Hush to be the trilogy concluding villain. Although I will concede that neither would have made much sense in the context of this particular storyline. (Both of those characters have strong ties to Batman and adding them without any previous buildup would be a major asspull). Which leaves Riddler, I guess, but he's not really...epic material, I don't think.
Isn't the Red Hood the flip-side universe version of the Joker?
As was mentioned, Joker was Red Hood before being knocked into the vat of chemicals that 'turned' him into the Joker. Later, Jason Todd (The second Robin, who was killed by Joker but later resurrected) took up the mantel of Red Hood and went around murdering criminals. He tried to shut down Black Mask's operation (By this point, Black Mask more or less controlled Gotham's underground), and would kill anyone indiscriminately, even the police.

He was eventually beaten by the Bat family and became a member of the Outlaws.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Bige1516 said:
I was not expecting TDKR to beat TDK, but it good to know it still a good movie on it own. I will be seeing this on Friday.
that's flawed logic. Movie Bob loved the Avengers, so he's saying it's not as good as his favorite movie of the year, you really can't say yo'll hate it because of that.
Yes, it's a superhero movie, but apart from that, the Avengers movies and the Batman movies are different in every single way.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
the death of Batman made me cry till the end credits, I was like "no Batman, no!" I wonder why Nolan set Batman up to be Jesus in this film?

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
This is about what I expected from Bob. I would have been shocked if he thought it was better then TDK.

So good, but not what you were expecting? my expectations are lower then yours (i.e. im not a movie critic) so I'm still definitely going to see this. But this was a good, balanced review, didn't feel preachy like other comic book related stuff can sometimes.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Inkidu said:
So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D
I despise MovieBob. I hate him a video game critic, have no respect for him as a film critic, and loathe him as a person. But Sucker Punch was a decent movie. Monumentally depressing, devoid of character development, but a good movie.

captcha: SKYNET WATCHES...

...what the... fuck...
^ This, I can't fucking stand Moviebob or anything he does, but I did enjoy Suckerpunch, if only because it was something interesting to look at.