Escape to the Movies: The Eagle

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I saw this on Sunday prior to watching the review and I have to agree with Bob on this one. It isn't a very memorable movie, the fight scenes all blend together, the characters don't really stand out all that well (and in some cases contradict what we believe to already know about them.) and the script isn't all that well written, which is rather sad because the story still had a lot of potential to be good.

Also, would someone like to remind Hollywood that a leg injury that leaves the main character barely capable of walking shouldn't just vanish during the last 15 minutes of a movie just because you wanna have a climatic battle. I mean it, that bugged the crap out of me. The guy is struggling just to stand up and the next thing you know, he goes toe to toe with the main antagonist.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
the clockmaker said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
please do not complain about generalisations made about your people by generalizing mine, it hurts the tiny part of my brain that holds out for logic in this world.
Ranting never really does much service to the one ranting.
I'm sorry for making any blanketing statements about your nation or countrymen and women, that wasn't my intent. I truly don't believe in such generalizations, perhaps my words were triggered by some nasty comments by users against US citizens (which is a little ridiculous, considering that almost every race, ethnicity and creed is represented in the United States.)

But that's not an excuse, I'm truly sorry if I've offended you.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Johanthemonster666 said:
the clockmaker said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
please do not complain about generalisations made about your people by generalizing mine, it hurts the tiny part of my brain that holds out for logic in this world.
Ranting never really does much service to the one ranting.
I'm sorry for making any blanketing statements about your nation or countrymen and women, that wasn't my intent. I truly don't believe in such generalizations, perhaps my words were triggered by some nasty comments by users against US citizens (which is a little ridiculous, considering that almost every race, ethnicity and creed is represented in the United States.)

But that's not an excuse, I'm truly sorry if I've offended you.
Hey mate, I'm Australian, we are not allowed, by law, to take offense at anything that does not involve diggers or footy. (fun fact, so long as you say no offense, everything will be treated as a good natured jibe, eg, no offense, but you mums a whore) I wasn't angry and I agree that people need to lay off the yanks, (I spent a couple of years in your country and encountered an average amount of idiocy) I just wanted to point out that the way you stated your case would alienate more people than it would attract.

But yes, everybody, lay off the yanks.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
First time in a long time I comment here, and it had to be on this particular subject didn't it?

Watching the latest review by MovieBob here made me recall when I showed another episode to my wife; she sat through it, then looked at me when it was done "He really wants to be like Yatzhee doesn't he? Just not as good or funny."
I used to like MovieBob's reviews, then I watched his Winter special where he said that M Bay fans are douche bags, even if Bay himself wasn't. Thing is, I know lots of people who like some Bay moves, myself being one of them...And none of those people can really be called a douche. (Maybe I could, but that's another point. :) )

Thing is here; How many people watch these reviews? I am guessing not enough for one lone internet critic to consider himself this f*cking superior. I'd let that attitude slide off the likes of Ebert, but not some Yatzhee clone on The Escapist who honestly thinks that "Normal people" equates to Larry The Cable Guy.
If that's a joke it's not even remotely funny, it is however the sort of joke that'd get you a disappointed look in real life, where you don't have fans.

In short, I'm glad not every damn movie is another masterpiece, as sometimes I just want to watch Transformers or Machete instead of 7 Samurai or Saving Private Ryan.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
lolz bob fell asleep
I felt that way during Tron Legacy.

I still think it's complete shit how you dismiss The King's Speech but praise Black Swan. I finally saw Black Swan and let's just say that the movies initials perfectly describe it.

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
Mmm, Arby's. You're making me hungry.

So glad you mentioned video games when you started to talk about a lack of originality and the need for a push back. The problem, tho, with Zero Punctuation and Extra Credit is that Yatzee's perpetual lambasting has almost become a parody of itself and the EC team is almost too "in" to be subjective about the subject matter. I mean this week they were extolling achievements while entirely ignoring their behavior conditioning aspects or the fact that publishers requirements are the reason for them being perpetuated, not the designers or programmers.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
Neither Bob nor Yahtzee seems to realize that the majority of die-hard halo fans who bought Reach and were dissapointed with it were dissapointed because TOO MUCH about the mechanics have changed. Bungie took a big risk trying to change their game and still keep it feeling the same way. Unfortunately, they got caught between some of the fans who loved everything about the way halo was (THE GAME IS TOO DIFFERENT WHY ARE THERE SO MANY ARMOR ABILITIES MOVEMENT PHYSICS ARE CHANGE BLAAAARGH) and the people who don't like halo (THE GAME IS NOT DIFFERENT ENOUGH THE NEW ABILITIES ONLY SUPPLEMENT THE GAMEPLAY AND THE GAMEPLAY IS ONLY CHANGED A LITTLE BIT BLAAAAAHRGH).

In the meantime, the people who can just enjoy a fun game still play it. I laughed when Bob used halo as his example for lazy sequels. Bungie does a great job, and their fans DO NOT WANT that much change. If they had followed Bob's advice, they'd basically be giving a big middle finger to their fans over the years.

No, instead he should have picked on something that deserves it, like sports games, or GOW clones.

And in regards to the actual review, good points, I feel the same way about those kinds of movies. I just wish you didn't have to say something that ignores all the facts and makes you look obnoxious every once in a while.

easo prime

Feb 18, 2011
At the end of this weeks video, there was a picture of magneto. Does that mean the magneto origin movie is no longer canceled?

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
I love how he mentions ZP, EC and Halo once and everyone starts fucking gabbing on about it and measuring e-peen.

I completely agree with this view on critics who are "out of touch" with society. They might not be representative of the whole, but that's their fucking job. They've seen more movies than the average person and know what has or hasn't artistic merit in a movie better than the average person, and that's a flaw? Bullshit.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
duchaked said:
really? if anything Halo Reach is the one Halo game that actually changed things up more significantly (compared to Halo 2 and 3
I agree, it's times like there's when bob shouldn't be along side the greats of this site

SapphireD910

Dec 24, 2010
Hahaha for the Rikki-Oh reference. I still can't believe I've watched that movie and laughed so hard. The only other violence that's made me nervously while also genuinely laugh so hard was Watchmen. I know... I'm messed up.

Also, yeah, I couldn't agree more. I saw the preview for this movie and couldn't help but think "why" and "who will want to see this" and "it looks so bland" and "it looks like a lot of other movies I've only see the trailers for". I'm not sure why Hollywood thinks it's playing it safe with these films. Honestly I think it's a huge risk to keep revamping the same general stories in hopes people will A) want to check yours out above all others that have flopped and B) overlook the fact that most of the previous ones have indeed flopped already. If you do nothing different, why should yours turn out any different?

Also... I really hope this summer is awesome. But I'm betting on only half of those projects turning out as great as fans would hope. Here's a hint... I think Marvel will outshine DC. In fact, I think most of GL's ticket sales will be opening weekend, but by the end of it's run it'll be seen as a flop by Hollywood standards. The only reason I'd check it out is Reynolds, and I'd rather see him as Deadpool.

Space Lion

Void Traveller
Apr 4, 2010
Anybody who's looking for something similar but actually good should watch Black Death. The film might put many people off by how ridiculously grim it is but the image it portrays is infinitely more compelling.

Spartan753

Feb 15, 2010
I dont know if you read any of these comments Bob, but what the hell, ill add a reply. Note that I havent actually seen the movie, and I am not trying to defend it because "I liked it and so everyone else have to!!".

The thing here Bob, is not wether you liked it or not Bob, but if the movie is good or not, on an objective level. Many movie critics and reviewers fail on this point, but you tend to be better than that. Now that you found the main plot to be boring is because you have seen the same plot too many times, but what would you say to those guys who have not?
Also, you claim that because someone doesnt know any better is not a reason for said thing to be good, but it is not about that. If you eat at five star resturants all the time, you may be amazed by a burger at McDonalds, while the guy who eats a burger every day, find it to be boring and bland.

It's the same with this movie (I think, as I said I havent actually seen it) It may not be a good plot, you might say that it is a horrible plot, but that is not the point. If you have never seen a movie with such a plot you will still find it interesting.