Escape to the Movies: The Eagle

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
ITT: People being butthurt because someone in the world expressed his dislike of Halo. Wah.

Seriously though, I was kinda hoping this movie would be good, but the moment Bob said it was also based on the 9th legion like Arthur and the Centurion I pretty much lost interest, so I was glad you changed the subject.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
really? if anything Halo Reach is the one Halo game that actually changed things up more significantly (compared to Halo 2 and 3)
altho that didn't really make me stop listening...I kinda like Arby's :p but jk I gotta agree with having the grumpy critiques around, it's useful

good for the business I suppose, but I'm just glad I'm not one of them......playing too many games and watching too many movies is actually a bad thing x.x

edit: I disagree with the Yoshi comment...he was cool in Super Mario World and Mario Kart 64 butttt now I'm with Yahtzee in questioning Mario's relationship with riding a-JK...yes this summer's movie line-up looks great and I hoping it actually turns out great =0

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Echo136 said:
ITT: People being butthurt because someone in the world expressed his dislike of Halo. Wah.

Seriously though, I was kinda hoping this movie would be good, but the moment Bob said it was also based on the 9th legion like Arthur and the Centurion I pretty much lost interest, so I was glad you changed the subject.
ah he was playing it safe, it's a good thing he said Halo and not like something else where people get REALLY riled up

I'm still interested in the story idea concept setting or whatever...but I did see King Arthur out of all of those and I was...just kinda like meh yawn afterwards. not much fun there, and I haven't been immersed much in this time period movie stuff or whatever

TheArsoni5t

Apr 1, 2009
It's good to know that Bob can't go a single review without going on a completely different tangent.

I'm relatively certain that Bob will not read this comment, nor would he ever take any criticism levied at him to heart, because it certainly doesn't look like he has yet. The one video that was supposedly addressing community questions was yet another brilliant trip down egomaniacal lane.

Bob, it's sad. It's really very sad. You are an egoist and, as overtly dramatic as it sounds, it's just pathetic. You spent two minutes talking about the god-damn movie you were reviewing and then went right into a rant trying to justify your position as a movie critic, and denouncing the general viewing public as a bunch of knuckle-dragging neanderthals. You quite literally stated that without movie critics, all movies would be just mindless, two-dimensional cash-ins. Without the overtly critical, blatantly negative persons such as yourself, all innovation would suddenly stagnate, and we'd be left in a cultural cesspool, right?

Bob, I'm part of the general viewing public, practically the entirety of the internet is. Suffice to say, if you can't judge a movie based on it's own merits, you are not doing your damn job. You're playing patsy, using over-negativity for your own means. Justify it as you may, you are not helping the film industry in any way possible. You're not informing anyone, there is no constructive criticism in this.

And, just to top things off, you go into a rant about innovation and how suddenly, to reinvent the wheel is the only way for a piece of media to be considered even moderately good in your eyes. You're a troll, you know? I think you've dedicated more time discussing your irrational hate for Halo then any other sole piece of media. You can't go one freaking video without throwing just one jibe in at it.

I know you're not listening Bob, but for everyone else's sake, here it goes.

You can not and should not hate a piece of media. You can certainly dislike it. I don't like the Call of Duty franchise, I don't like the Metal Gear franchise, but do I hate them? No, no a thousand times NO. I recognize there are a lot of things to like in those games. I don't spend every waking moment of my time on the internet deriding the damn things do I? What point would that serve?

What I can tell is that he just likes being up on the soapbox, this imaginary pedestal that allows him to rant and say whatever he wants, where nobody can touch him. He's got his video series, why the opinions of some lowly forum-goer ever deserve his attention. This post will just be lost in the tides of other posts, as is the fate of all internet discussions.

I am seriously of the belief, however that this needed to be said. Much of this can also apply to Yahtzee, hell nearly all of it. If people like Bob are able to get such a great position, he needs to be able to get out of this ranting mindset and turn the topics he discusses into an actual bleeding discussion, a forum that seeks to benefit the actual viewership, and not just his ego.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
I'd be a lot more excited about this if it wasn't following on the tails of Centurion. So... yeah.
Also, am I the only one that was hoping for a dramatization of Jack Whyte's book? Cause if not, I am sorely disappointed.
Sorely.

Mrhenners12

May 1, 2010
ITS CALLED ENGLAND Britain is a group of countries in the United Kingdom, anyway Yeah that guy is always boring and always makes the films boring as a result.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
What got me right from the start is that (like Tom Hanks), whatever Channing Tatum plays, he will always be Channing Tatum (the Josh Hartnett substitute?).

Now, I'm not saying that Romans always have to be played by British actors or whatever (as they seem often to be?) but could they have picked someone, you know, a little less inescapably American in appearance? I have no particular comments on Tatum's acting abilities, but I have to admit his appearance (however even-featured ;-) jars with me too much. How about someone who looks more, I don't know, mediterranean?

But then I'm not a casting director looking for the names...and maybe I've just seen him in US military uniforms too much to shake the association...

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
hello movie bob i know this dosint relate to this video but can i ask a question? can you suggest to me any movies that will accualy scare me, seriously i've seen 100's of horror movies and none of them has even made me flinch can you recomend any films that will keep me awake at night? really scare the hell out of me?

brums405

Nov 18, 2009
No mention of the Captain America/X-Men/Thor trailers? I would have much rather have seen a video breaking down those three trailers than a movie that bored you to sleep.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Actually Bob, this movie does sound terribly boring. I felt that way when I first saw the trailer "Good god.... *sigh* how many epics concerning the Rome-ancient world do we have to see before they decide to do something unique for once?"

I was rather dismayed about your review concerning "The King's Speech" not because I've seen few movies that are built up around similar premises, but because it was an uplifting story and one of the few character driven stories I've seen recently. It shouldn't really be viewed in terms of "UGH! Another Oscar contender that wants to be classy, and impress the baby-boomers"

Since most movies these days are centered around tired concepts: Epic battle sequences with A list actors shouting with British accents, while they're suppose to be portraying some foreign or ancient army" or retro-culture remakes, hipster dramas and hipster comedies.

I won't see it, "Aurthur" and "Alexander" were enough to turn me off to a lot of these types of movies.
Seriously Hollywood, can we please..eh...I don't know, stop using recycling the same actors for every action film? Can you heed movie Bob's (and everyone Else's from what I can tell) demands for something unique?

Any new directors want to step in?

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
epikAXE said:
So, when you say the Romans did'nt controll anything in Britan north of Hadrians wall...your pretty mutch saying they didnt control Scotland. Jeez at leat aknowlage us as a country rather than an add on to England :p

All semi-patriotic jokes aside, that reveiw was boring. Not in the sense that you are a bad reweiwer, its just you ran out of things to say about 30 seconds in and started digressing to the point of talking about Zero Punctuation, but I guess thats the films fault not yours.
Except it wasn't called "Scotland" during the Roman period, none of these smaller kingdoms, peoples, and clans were organized into the modern territories until centuries and centuries later (and after quite a bit of bloodshed). So he's being accurate, there was no Scotland.

EDIT: Just as the place I live in now was not considered "Florida" until the Spanish decided to colonize it.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Johanthemonster666 said:
epikAXE said:
So, when you say the Romans did'nt controll anything in Britan north of Hadrians wall...your pretty mutch saying they didnt control Scotland. Jeez at leat aknowlage us as a country rather than an add on to England :p

All semi-patriotic jokes aside, that reveiw was boring. Not in the sense that you are a bad reweiwer, its just you ran out of things to say about 30 seconds in and started digressing to the point of talking about Zero Punctuation, but I guess thats the films fault not yours.
Except it wasn't called "Scotland" during the Roman period, none of these smaller kingdoms, peoples, and clans were organized into the modern territories until centuries and centuries later (and after quite a bit of bloodshed). So he's being accurate, there was no Scotland.

EDIT: Just as the place I live in now was not considered "Florida" until the Spanish decided to colonize it.
You didn't pick up on "semi-patriotic joke" then? I was just poking fun at the massive "PROUD TO BE SCOTS NOT BRITS" movement that I put up with every day. I am well aware that Scotland was just a baron landscape of disjointed clans, villages, and clachans for a long time after the roman rule. In hindsight I did come across as ignorant, but it was entirley in jest I assure you :]

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
jackpipsam said:
Halo!

god bob give it a rest, we don't care that you don't like Halo
Obviously you do care if you take the time to comment on that one little part of the video. Twice.
Same goes for everyone else addressing that remark alone, ignoring the rest of the video.

OT: I might have to start watching these movie reviews. They seem entertaining and interesting.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
epikAXE said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
epikAXE said:

You didn't pick up on "semi-patriotic joke" then? I was just poking fun at the massive "PROUD TO BE SCOTS NOT BRITS" movement that I put up with every day. I am well aware that Scotland was just a baron landscape of disjointed clans, villages, and clachans for a long time after the roman rule. In hindsight I did come across as ignorant, but it was entirley in jest I assure you :]
I know you were being sarcastic, but it's hard to tell half the time considering this is the escapist. The Brits and Aussies on here actually get pretty annoying when they tell the US users that they're uneducated morons, I guess they think their political sarcasm is golden (even though most Americans are pretty apolitical)

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
So you complain about a boring, played out concept... And then hate on Halo some more.

Wow.

Anyway, this movie appealed to a friend of mine, but I managed to talk him out of it. I'm thankful for that now.

Hipponoos

Nov 20, 2009
I was looking hoping that it wasn't going to be said. At the end I wasn't surprise. First because this show don?t say nothing at all. Even do those movies about Roman time on Britain territory were all put together, the real link between those was NOT said. What the Centurion, the Last legion and King Arthur have in common? Yes Britain and Romans put on side. They are telling you one thing; the Anglo and the Anglo-Americain are the best civilisations ever. Maybe because I?m French Canadian, but I see that thinking everywhere at my neighbour: ??American is the greatest place on earth, because we are the greatest people?? andI seem to find it obvious to see it in a movie where they want to see their origin. We always see in those movies that the greatest roman military, wish is also a moral man tormented by the lack of morality of is civilisation, mix himself with the most moral culture, wish is link to nature, to their land, to their ancestors. Are we seeing something new here? I really don?t think so. If we see America for example, they always think that there superiority, wish in international policy is brought by their economy and there army, is brought as a gift from their moral perfection. I won?t critic this point because there is not much to say and it is an empty conversation. But at the end we see it here, in those movies, the moral perfection of a man from a perfect civilisation of law and army discipline who quit his corrupt world to a sane one who is completely pure. So the perfection of the old civilisation melts in the new one and completes it. Why do they care, why a country that everyone knows that is about 400 years old need to care about year 0 or 400 AD. Because they want to say we come from that time as well, we are an old civilisation we find our root into perfection. Those movies are just that LOOK AT ME MY CONTRY IS THE BEST EVER AND THIS IS WHY! At the end this is not a superb movie, this is an okay one, but we are going to see more of them, because America and Britain want to see and hear that they are the best and they want to have a justification of that even if it is from historical fiction or take that from the historian I am, even if it is from total fiction.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Johanthemonster666 said:
please do not complain about generalisations made about your people by generalizing mine, it hurts the tiny part of my brain that holds out for logic in this world.