Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Shapsters said:
sephiroth1991 said:
I new this film would be terrible, anything with Jason Statham is bad in my eyes.

Also it's shame it wasn't the film people wanted I.E haveing all the pre-90s action stars getting togeather for one big genocide.
Woah woah woah WOAH!

Hold on one second. First off, awesome avatar, very funny movie I-

Where was I? Oh ya, the Jason Statham thing. Have you seen the movie Snatch? Or Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? Now mind you I haven't seen his new movies (Crank, Transporter those ones) but he has a main role in both of those older movies and he is awesome. Snatch is probably one of my favourite movies ever and watching it really made me a fan of his, he is just awesome.
I let Snatch slide cos thats a good film, but most of what i have seen of him isn't good, i dislike the fact he plays the same character in all his films even action stars need to change the character now and then.

JacobPlackett

Oct 25, 2008
This has gotten out of hand.

Besides, we all know that Batman:Mask Of The Phantasm is the greatest movie ever, right

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Hayate_GT said:
Johnny Cain said:
I almost feel bad for being one of those many 'sheep' that flocked to this movie and enjoyed it.
don't be...i watched and like it...

sorry moviebob gotta disagree with you on this one...i had fun...but to each his own...
I don't think 'each to their own' really qualifies when you're a professional reviewer. You're paid to let the audience know if it's a good film or not, not if you liked it or not. ZP for example, although he's accredited as a critic, is clearly just doing it for the sake of comedy. Therefore, he's paid to entertain.
Moviebob on the other hand implies he wants to be taken seriously as a film critic. This means he has to provide a balanced view. He can say he dislikes a film, but for the love of all things critical, he can't cry and whine about the bits he didn't like. That just demonstrates complete ignorance where films are concerned. I know my game/app reviews are hardly high profile, but I at least leave my own opinion out of it, unless there's a due reason.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
haha.. im so gonna watch this movie.. Then gonna buy it on DVD and watch it some more..

Hopefully we can get more reviews like this, cause this was the only fun Moviebob review i have seen so far.. Mind you i have not watched them all cause frankly, they was probably more a waste of my time than this movie is..

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
Moviebob definitely can't be happy that it was #1 at the box office for a second week.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Well, guess what i'm not going to see when my friend asks me to see it. *massive noticeable wink*

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
eight more reasons for existing
How about eight less? I'm fine with something like "eight more reasons for a red-blooded male with no film taste to go see it", but you're actually implying that boobsploitation improves movies. Just like how you said Tomb Raider was actually good (as opposed to Uncharted) because of Lara's boobs, hence boobsploitation improves games.

Ugh.

I've followed your videos for a long, long time, Bob. I've been watching GOT pretty much since the beginning, and as soon as I made the connection that these videos were by you too, I started watching. By and large, I've agreed with your points and found myself liking exactly the same films as you. But man, I'm starting to realise that while you're quite clever, you still act (in your Moviebob persona, at least) like you're the average heavy-breathing, creepy basement-dweller that never quite got past the "omgboobies" stage of development. Most of the Escapist community acts more maturely than that. Why don't you?

I'm being serious. I'm starting to get creeped out. I'm really not sure I want to watch your videos any more.

Sincerely,
Female nerd #1034575

JacobPlackett

Oct 25, 2008
Moviebob is indeed a hypocrite. He insults the college jocks, who thinks movies and stuff are good because of hot chicks, but I think in a video he was going on about how people should shut up. He goes on about White People, Black People, but when it comes to the asians, he sees a girl licking a PSP, and he turns into freakanerd, gets a boner and sees NO problems at all.

And he shows his ignorance again with DOA, as Meemaimoh said. It was an awful movie, yet it was better than expendables because there were tits in it? You are the exact same person who you hate!
He's like a 13 year old going OH, UM, THERE'S NO BLOOD, BUT, UH, THE WORST THING IS THAT IT'S MORE POPULAR THAT SCOTT PILGRIM.

Pull your act together man.

BrightDeathFriend

Dec 31, 2008
wow....It really is a shame that such awesome actors could come together and star in something...that sounds pretty shitty...

A director and producer should've put this together better...but from what ive heard, Stallone SHOULD NOT make films....buuuuuuuut thats just me..

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
I still think it's better than that hipster movie Scott Pilgrim that's everywhere on the escapist.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I saw the movie. If you're going to stay out of the heat and want see some explosion and gunfire then go for it. Otherwise he's right. It's pretty crappy. I really did expect alot more out of this.

Woo Scott Pilgrim FTW!

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
mptothedc said:
I saw the movie. If you're going to stay out of the heat and want see some explosion and gunfire then go for it. Otherwise he's right. It's pretty crappy. I really did expect alot more out of this.

Woo Scott Pilgrim FTW!
This is what I was talking about.Where the hell did that movie come from? Is it any good?????

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
PurpleSky said:
mptothedc said:

Woo Scott Pilgrim FTW!
This is what I was talking about.Where the hell did that movie come from? Is it any good?????
I was also kinda iffy about seeing it. On the fence if you will. I kept hearing it was good from different ppl including Movie Bob's vid. So, I went to see it and I thought it was really kick ass! I recommend it. It's funny, clever, and full of action. It's like a love story for dorky boys lol

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
I'm so sick and tired of all this hatred on each other and against movie bob just because he hated a movie. So what? I liked movies that he's hated and I've hated movies he's liked. It's to each his own. I don't watch his show because I want him to re-assure my opinion. I watch his show because whether I agree with him or not his comments are usually insightful (when given the proper movie to analyze). Can we just stop with all this insecurity because one critic bashed your movie. I have a feeling it wouldn't matter so much to people if the Expendables wasn't also getting generally bad reviews from a lot of other critics.

Seriously, see both and decide what you like. You may like the Expendables and hate Scott Pilgrim and because of this you might get a lot of flak from a bunch of movie buffs telling you you're stupid. But why should you care? I love movies with the same passion as Moviebob so I'm not afraid to admit that I enjoyed "Legion" and "Repo Men" while I also didn't like "Invictus" and "Crazy Heart". It's an opinion guys. Don't star raising pitchforks over it.

jaammiie

Master of the Universe
Jun 3, 2007
There's nothing wrong with mindless action when you are mostly watching heavy films. It's also good to watch with friends which I don't think Bob goes with to the cinema.