Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Ever since the first trailer, we all knew it would be a whole bunch of kickass action stars, killing guys with guns. We knew what we were getting ourselves into when we walked into the theater. A plethora of wholesome violence. It delivered! Not only did it deliver, it had a decent (not great) script and funny dialogue. So what if it wasn't bloody or full of gore. The action was cool, and that's all I really wanted. Sorry Bob, it's a pointless action flick which delivered the goods. It seems like you went reading too far into the movie.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Well glad I caught Scott Pilgrim instead. Thanks Bob. I was thinking about seeing that this weekend, but I may just watch Rambo or Terminator instead.

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
Boy. This sounds like the type of offensive generalizing hate-speech someone would make before he/she got fired, but I suppose you have to share what your opinion means to the best of your extent.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up; I'm still on the fence to see the film, ranging from the critic's opinion of the quality or Jet Li.

Didn't he say the 2007 War was his last movie for a time? Or something like that?

>.>

Edit: I'm so sorry, though after a rewatch I just HAD to do this.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I was actually kind of suprised by his reaction. I was expecting him to be all for those silly, macho, Reagan era movies and was expecting him to say that this was a great throwback to them.

I often disagree with Movie Bob's reviews. Though he is observant and I value his opinion, I think his regular nerdgasming tends to make him over-sell movies that have geek appeal. Then again, I am convinced by this review. No blood? No good signature death? Boring action scenes? They're the kind of things that count. I guess I'll just miss the movie. Or steal it.

aeziir

Jun 7, 2010
Diver Down said:
Undead Dragon King said:
Moviebob, I have finally had it with your pretentious nerd-rage. You think the average moviegoer is a mindless sheep for enjoying a mindless explosionfest while your beloved Scott Pilgrim took fifth on opening weekend. You seem utterly convinced that you're in the right and anyone who disagrees with you is a horrible, ignorant excuse of a person who can go screw themselves.

Grow up, jackass. This is the last review of yours I'm watching.

I saw Scott Pilgrim. And it sucked.
Dude, f*ck you. He can say he's right on his own video. Usually people watch a movie critic if they agree with their opinions, or have similar tastes. Obviously you don't agree with him, so stop b*tching about it you wart on the @ss of society.

If you think Scott Pilgrim sucked, you evidently have no idea what makes a movie good.
*starts a slow clap*

Jack of Noir

Apr 2, 2010
Yeah, I could see where watching a great film like Scott Pilgrim fail in the face of lesser movies like this would be rage worthy, but I think you took it a bit far man. I still think the review was good as whole a loved your intro.

Also, have you ever seen a movie called Dark City? It was made in 1998 and was really good, but no one I know has so much as heard of it.

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
THANK YOU! Scott Pilgrim was brilliant, this was tripe of the weakest sort, and I'm a guy who believes that Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever made. It was fun-ish, I guess, but I like my movies with some meat on them... like Pilgrim! Funny, smart and more than just boy chasing girl.

JBJCurly

Aug 21, 2010
I'm going to see it anyway. When I think back to the rather glowing review that he gave Splice, it is apparent that sometimes he gets it wrong. Very very wrong. So... I'm off to see it probably sometime next week. Here is to hoping that it isn't as bad as he says it is.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Thank you Bob! I never thought this movie looked good, and I'm glad you are telling others that.

Also, I'm guessing you liked Doomsday then? A little, maybe? Putting it's poster in the review made my day anyway!

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
why must crap like this even exist, QT has his awesome directing skills behind Kill Bill which as a whole does what this movie tries to do only better. When I saw the trailer I thought that I was going to see a great movie, the fact that Sylvester was directing wasn't a deal breaker (Rocky [the remake] was ok), but they ended up releasing this pile of crap, great move Hollywood!

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
I've watched it, and it is pretty much what it advertises itself to be. An all-star action film filled meatbags shooting each other into bits.

Unfortunately that's pretty much it.

The gore was disappointing, the story was non-existent, and the actors couldn't really pull off the "veteran team of badasses" ideal mainly due to their inability to work with eachother. Though I wouldn't give it the punishment Bob gave it, I wouldn't recommend it unless you think Serious Sam would make a good movie.

I admit I did enjoy the water-boarding scene though (I'm a terrible person, I know).

The Iconnorclast

Mar 31, 2010
Thank you for exposing this movie for what it is Moviebob, a damn shame it doesnt make much difference at this point with its sales.

Anyways with this review Moviebob is now officially my favorite movie reviewer.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
MovieBob said:
This week MovieBob lets you know if The Expendables is expendable.
The Critic cartoon back in the 90's predicted the outcome of this movie!

Diver Down

Aug 21, 2010
Freebird. said:
Diver Down said:
Undead Dragon King said:
Moviebob, I have finally had it with your pretentious nerd-rage. You think the average moviegoer is a mindless sheep for enjoying a mindless explosionfest while your beloved Scott Pilgrim took fifth on opening weekend. You seem utterly convinced that you're in the right and anyone who disagrees with you is a horrible, ignorant excuse of a person who can go screw themselves.

Grow up, jackass. This is the last review of yours I'm watching.

I saw Scott Pilgrim. And it sucked.
Dude, f*ck you. He can say he's right on his own video. Usually people watch a movie critic if they agree with their opinions, or have similar tastes. Obviously you don't agree with him, so stop b*tching about it you wart on the @ss of society.

If you think Scott Pilgrim sucked, you evidently have no idea what makes a movie good.
Or he has an opinion. Besides, he didn't even say that he disagreed with Bob's Expendables review, he said he didn't appreciate being insulted and treated as if his opinion didn't matter.
I also didn't say anything about him disagreeing with Bob's Expendables Review. I know he has an opinion, but according to his post, it isn't anything like Bob's when it comes to movies. So why does he need to fly off the handle at Bob? Bob didn't make "Undead Dragon King" watch his reviews.