Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Towels said:
Seriously, some of you all are taking his insults a little personally.

I think he is insulting the movie based on the fact that it panders to hyper-masculinity and uses its actor-fame to pull it through. Those sound like reasonable complaints to me. I've heard Bob speak highly of movies that present masculinity. It seems The Expendables do not meet his standards of intelligent masculinity. The fact that it overshadowed Scott Pilgrim was injury added to insult.

I considered seeing this movie because of Stalone, Li and Statham. The others are just extra players in an 'all-star' cast movie. 9 out of 10 times All-star cast movies SUCK because they DO rely on actor-fame to pull it though. Seeing how I don't have enough money to see both, now I don't have to worry about regreting to see Scott Pilgrim.
Whoever expected any intelligence from the Expendables is just plain stupid. Besides, insulting people for not seeing a movie that isn't even showing in their fucking country is not very smart either. The fact that it's not available everywhere also tells that the movie isn't expected to have mainstream appeal, so expecting it to sell is kinda dumb too. So this whole review does seem a bit braindead to me.

And why can we only enjoy bad movies made in the 80s? I got no problem laughing at newer shit too.

Glass Joe

Oct 7, 2009
DarkElfa said:
I understand his review of the film, but I can't help but feel that 9/10's of his rage about this film was due to it coming in first at the box office while Scott Pilgrim came in 5th. I think this because I feel that way myself about it.
This. It's not that people that see the expendables are stupid, but Scott Pilgrim was really really good, and something is seriously wrong if good movies can't do well. Bob keeps saying that Scott Pilgrim follows video game logic and so you should see it, but what people are thinking is you have to like video games to like SPvW. Really the movie is a breath of fresh air from the realistic movies that seem to be so popular since the success of batman. Batman Begins took batman and made him seem real while Scott Pilgrim took something real and made it seem imaginary in a similar, but opposite, way. Also the Music fucking rocks, which Bob forgot to mention. Seriously about half of it is written by Beck. That alone is a good reason to see it.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Hubilub said:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.
I agree.
While I will admit I wasn't amazed by the premise of the film (though I did go ga-ga when I saw Arnie on screen) I can certainly see why others would and while I do still agree with a lot of Bob's criticisms I think it is really mean and uncalled for to refer to people as 'mindless sheep' in bitter anger just because the Expendables got so popular. I mean I saw Scott Pilgrim and I did love it and the way I see it is that if it really is the big movie of the summer then surely it's bomb will not be in vein as it will end up being a cult fave.
But still it was destined not to be received by mainstream audiences because it was made for a very specific type of audience and it wasn't as heavily marketed as the Expendables was.

So from where I stand, insulting people who just want to have a good time watching a silly overdone action movie is pretty harsh. I notice Movie Bob didn't really explain the difference between over the top crappyness and just plain crappyness. I admit he still clearly knows what he's doing and I'll also admit that the movie didn't look amazing but still there's no right to insult people in the process or stereotype them either.
Hell one of my friends from Tafe went to see this for the fun and he's no redneck, he's just a nice mild mannered guy who wants to occasionally see stuff blow up.

This isn't the first time Bob's done this. For me the worst was still the Halo Legends review where he missed the point so often, showed a complete lack of knowledge of established canon of the franchise and began with the foundational bias of not liking the franchise and couldn't stop ragging on the franchise and of course once again insulting the fanbase the whole way through and actually seemed to regard deliberate acts of pissing Halo fans off to be a positive thing and that the fans were all being overreacting cry baby's about it.
Apparently forgetting that he himself once dedicated an entire review to complaining about Michael Bay ruining his beloved Transformers.

So yeah, I still watch his videos and for the most part I enjoy them and find them very informative and while I agree with a lot of his points in this review, I hate the way he always has to smugly insult people who like things he doesn't.

mattie411

Apr 5, 2010
i watched expendables the other week (for free mind you i work in a cinema) and if you just sit there and watch without paying too much attention to the stupidly cheesy script then it's actually quite enjoyable the gore in it is similar to rambo i thought SPOILER** with the first guy to get killled having his torso blown off**END SPOILER i thought it was just a bit of fun but then again i didnt pay £7 to see it

rokudan

Dec 20, 2008
I find it amusing that the film staring a whiney manipluative wimp-***** of a child like male movie bob loves, but a movie with a strong confindant unashamed man, he gets his panties in a twist about people liking it.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Weird that Bob is getting hate for this, Yahtzee is at least as insulting to his viewers almost every week and his comments section is filled with people who just can't wait to confirm how awesome he is and how right all of his opinions are.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I'm entirely aware that The Expendables will be garbage (they made it quite obvious in the trailer), however I'm going to fork over my 7.50$ to see it for the sole reason that Jason Statham is an incredibly attractive man. I sat through Crank 2 just to ogle him, and just even the basic premise of that movie is mind-numbingly retarded, let alone the movie itself.

If it makes you feel better Moviebob, I did go to see Scott Pilgrim and I agree it's highly underrated.

Rockdrake

Aug 27, 2008
omegawyrm said:
Weird that Bob is getting hate for this, Yahtzee is at least as insulting to his viewers almost every week and his comments section is filled with people who just can't wait to confirm how awesome he is and how right all of his opinions are.
Give me a page that doesn't say the same damn thing. Movie Bob=informative legit reviewer, Yahtzee=Funny guy makes fun of games, Michael Cera=He plays the same guy in every fucking movie.

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
I watched the Expendables and I liked it overall. Maybe Bob was watching a different movie, but Expendables is not even on my flop 10 of worst movies I watched this year. I also saw enough people loosing body parts or get sliced to pieces in this movie, to the point where I wonder how much body explosions Moviebob "needs" to be happy. Maybe an internship at a butcher or meat factory would be a good idea then.

It's not a great movie by any stretch of imagination, but quite entertaining. My two main problems with the Expendables are the shaky camera and the fact that it takes itself way too serious, considering how thin the actual story is. I know everyone and his dog uses the shaky camera since Jason Bourne showed how cool it can look, but shouldn't we move on from that and figure out better ways of entertaining the audience than making them seasick? The story is forgettable and all just an excuse to blow stuff up in the end, but I really expected more cheesy one-liners from the cast and less "we are so tragic figures" shebang from the bunch of steroid abusers.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Who cares if Movie Bob got a little caught up in his anger? It happens to everybody. Everybody's entitled to their opinion (and an occasional rage dump).

That being said, I will agree to disagree. I thought The Expendables was a blast. Really stupid, but it was probably the most fun I've had with my friends at the theater in a long time. It definitely had its faults, and, like hearing a joke repeated, I wouldn't consider it to be strong upon a secondary viewing, as there's more than a few punchline moments that resulted in my enjoyment the first time around. It was a little slow in the middle and the bigger pay-offs were spread too thin. They hyped up the Arnold and Willis scene. My friends and I would later comment that it would be best if we hadn't known. Particularly with Arnold. The way he enters his cameo scene, back lit by the impossibly bright sun would have had me peeing my pants with laughter if I didn't already know what was coming.

I definitely disagree with most of the things that Movie Bob said about the movie. As far as gore goes (not that this ever made a movie good), there's a pirate getting blown in half in the first scene, with several more to follow in the climax. Also, I felt that there were several moments in the movie that successfully ribbed on itself, its stars, and the action genre from the time period. My personal favorite is the scene as they are running through the enemy compound laying so many explosives over such a long period of time, that it quickly becomes hilariously ludicrous. I loved seeing the actual physical scene that would have to have taken place off-screen in old action movies to achieve the same climactic result as the enemies' doom fortress is blown to rubble. Also, the reunion at the end of the movie (even with a character that by all means should, and was indicated to be, dead) was so knowingly corny.

I guess what it boils down to is that top-grade fillet mignon and an aged cabernet always tastes good. But sometimes I just get a craving for a giant, greasy cheese pizza and cheap beer.

As far as the post drama, I consider it a lover's quarrel. I'm not going to rage back at Bob for being passionate. But Bob, keep in mind that passion without direction is chaos. I'll be back next week, regardless, as I find Bob's musings interesting and, typically, well-informed.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
SamStar42 said:
Look, Bob. I've defended you more than I need have, you're probably one of my favourite movie critics but please, for the love of God, accept that not every movie has to be this artistic piece, with amazing acting, original set pieces and have an important message behind them. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyable to sit through. Salt was this and you appeared to like that even if there were two reasons attached to Jolie that probably helped your opinion along the way.

And please, stop stating that everyone who likes a movie you don't is worthless. Transformers, Book of Eli, and now Expendables - some people just like to sit through a movie that's brainless. Whilst they're not that good, stating that everyone who likes them is pretty much wrong is just arrogant and pretentious.

Not everyone who likes bad action movies is this douchebag frat boy, who can't tell the difference between an etch-a-sketch and a Da Vinci. Just accept that occasionally people don't see things the way you do, because you're starting to become insufferable.
Sorry but I saw this and Scott Pilgrim in the same weekend, and Expendables is an over-glorified B movie at best and not a good one even on that level. Bob is just doing his job as a critic and calling it out as the crap it is. When a movie this awful makes so much money, it kills a critic's faith in humanity and only encourages more of the same awful crap.

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
To add to my posting above @Moviebob: I assume it won't make you loose sleep at night, but I won't be watching this show anymore. I noticed in a couple of reviews now how you are putting yourself above the "stupid masses". That is terribly pretentious (especially from a guy who basically says "boobs = good movie") and your rants are just not that funny.

T0BB0

Jul 14, 2009
Curious. You hate this as it's a worthless, meaningless, insulting piece of shit action movie masquerading as a throwback to the 80's...

And yet you loved G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra? Easily the worst action film I have ever seen, with less gore, worse acting and an even more pointless and stupid storyline?

Thanks for confirming the uselessness of your opinion, Bob.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
stinkychops said:
I don't believe that to be honest, but it was too hard to resist.
Heeey, I never said tha-Ooooooooooooooooooooh.

... Damn you, Stinkychops! I will get my revenge! *flies away into the night*

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Anyone else remember when he reviewed Halo Legends? Another review that got a massive influx of comments? And do you remember what happened the week after?

Basically next week he's going to make a quick jab over the "controversy" and move on without haste, so it amuses me that some people think they're going to "get through" to him.