Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Yaloret said:
Why do they bleep Bob but not Yahtzee?
I'm fairly certain Bob blipped himself out, and the reason is because you don't watch his shit for crudeness/swearing.

VanityGirl said:
Hubilub said:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.
And yet so many people on this site take shit from Yatzee and allow him to call them whatever he pleases and no one takes a second glance.
Odd isn't it?
As said above, with a bit more elaboration, Yahtzee is here to be an arse, he's here to be a dick. Perhaps he's here to be some other form of genetelia too, but the point is he's meant to entertain via being insulting. Bob on the other hand is here to review and discuss movies.

I agree that insulting people over taste is stepping over the line, but its no reason to raise pitchforks. Apparently this movie pressed ol' Bobby's buttons and he was just plain angry, I doubt he meant to insult everyone who's enjoyed it.

TinyMAG

May 7, 2009
I work in the movie industry, I have seen every single nationally released flick of the last two years, including the midnight premier of The Expendables - and I can honestly say that no movie has ever in my life every brought me more man-gasmic pleasure than the Expendables. Their use of the AA12 was stellar - building suspense then unleashing a big man with a BIG FREAKING GUN had me literally squealing with glee in my seat. It was exciting - it was explosive and it will be a highlight of my life...if enjoying a particularly violent set of explosions makes me "the worst kind of person..." then sign me up for the evil league of evil cuz I will never forget the night I saw The Expendables.

"What's his problem?"
"He wants to be President."

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kurokami said:
As said above, with a bit more elaboration, Yahtzee is here to be an arse, he's here to be a dick. Perhaps he's here to be some other form of genetelia too, but the point is he's meant to entertain via being insulting. Bob on the other hand is here to review and discuss movies.

I agree that insulting people over taste is stepping over the line, but its no reason to raise pitchforks. Apparently this movie pressed ol' Bobby's buttons and he was just plain angry, I doubt he meant to insult everyone who's enjoyed it.
If I may, the other thing about Yahtzee is; his criticisms are constructive. Even when he's being incredibly dickish about it, he's bringing up failures of the game and making them the center stage for the mocking he indulges in. Contrast to this, where Bob basically throws a tantrum for the length of the review without offering any concrete reasons.

RedheadedKate

Jul 12, 2010
Just to let you know, MB, before I see a movie I'm thinking about seeing, I check you first. Having said that...Phew. I am really glad I saw this. My husband and I are planning our next date night, and it was a toss up between Scott Pilgrim and this. I was hoping (when I saw the trailer) that this would be the tongue in cheek, homage to the 80's movies that we all know are crappy, but kind of enjoy anyway.

Not that we were thinking of seeing this and not seeing Scott Pilgrim at all, we were just trying to figure out which one to see first. Scott Pilgrim it shall be, and not this. I can see Statham without his shirt in many other things.

Also, Van Damme turned it down, but Jet Li, who was in one of the best movies I have ever seen (Hero) said yes? Does he owe the Golden Dragons money or something?

David Rowell

Apr 6, 2010
ok not a good movie.
I saw it, I knew it was just going to be a dumb action movie, but the fun came from seeing the interaction between multiple mixed martial arts lead actors. Jet Li had some good lines and the auto shotgun with explosive shells added to the "explosions are cool" factor.
the one thing all the leads share is the violent action hero persona, put too many of those in one place and all you get is a brawl.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Hubilub said:
I could barely finish watching this review. Took a lot of strength.

I can't believe Bob this week. We are obedient sheep because we go see one of the biggest collaboration films this decade instead of watching a film that was barely advertised in many places? We are the worst kind of people on earth because we like the premise that a movie will be an homage to 80s action films?

He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.

For someone who tries to hinder people from being elitist nerds, you are one of the biggest elitist nerds I've seen in quite a while.
And yet so many people on this site take shit from Yatzee and allow him to call them whatever he pleases and no one takes a second glance.
Odd isn't it?
Yahtzee doesn't pretend he's anything other than a troll (see his Batman: AA review). He's the monkey in the caging shrieking and mooning everybody that we laugh at.

MovieBob wants to be taken seriously. He can't expect us to take him seriously AND not get insulted by reviews like this.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
sephiroth1991 said:
I new this film would be terrible, anything with Jason Statham is bad in my eyes.

Also it's shame it wasn't the film people wanted I.E haveing all the pre-90s action stars getting togeather for one big genocide.
Woah woah woah WOAH!

Hold on one second. First off, awesome avatar, very funny movie I-

Where was I? Oh ya, the Jason Statham thing. Have you seen the movie Snatch? Or Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? Now mind you I haven't seen his new movies (Crank, Transporter those ones) but he has a main role in both of those older movies and he is awesome. Snatch is probably one of my favourite movies ever and watching it really made me a fan of his, he is just awesome.

Dan Oles

Jan 19, 2010
Gee...MovieBob wasn't fond of a film that featured rugged action heroes fighting unambiguous villains with unrestrained violence and instead favored a hipster film all about satisfying your own goals?
I think Satan is skating his way to work...

Mattteus

May 1, 2009
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is one of my all time favourite movies!
Piranha 3D was just as awful as this one for pretty much the same reasons, big letdown.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Starke said:
Kurokami said:

If I may, the other thing about Yahtzee is; his criticisms are constructive. Even when he's being incredibly dickish about it, he's bringing up failures of the game and making them the center stage for the mocking he indulges in. Contrast to this, where Bob basically throws a tantrum for the length of the review without offering any concrete reasons.
I agree with this, if you go back and ask "Why?" Everytime he states something negative, you'll notice it never gets answered. This is not a review, this is a temper tantrum. He urges people to ignore this movie and go watch something else instead, but leaves us with no valid reason behind why we should take his advice.

I was instantly reminded of those internet trolls from that Jay and Silent Bob movie when I watched this, and that's pretty sad.

I don't mind having personal opinions or emotion in reviews or writing, but if you forget the basic fundamentals of what you're supposed to be doing then it's time to step back and take a moment to breathe. I know nothing more about the movie after watching this "review" than I did coming in except for "Bob didn't like it."

He's also still showing his anger about SP not doing well... What did you expect? The trailers and commercials for it were horribly unappealing! If some one is watching a commercial and says "Hmm that looks awful." They're not going to hop over to their nearest computer to research it to confirm their opinion based on first glance, they're going to continue on with their day and forget that movie ever existed.

Is that unfair? Yes, but you can't expect everyone to do a little research on things they hold no interest in. That's the commercials job, and when it fails to do that, you're in trouble.

As for the whole sheep thing, that part just didn't make sense to me, it just seemed like Bob was looking for an excuse to insult everyone that went and enjoyed the movie while he didn't.

It is indeed common for people to try something, not like it and then show distaste for those that are having a good time. They do this because it makes them feel better about themselves, and I believe that sums up the situation here with Bob.

Ahh well, I'm sure Bob's going to say something about this either his writing or his next "review." All I can say is if this keeps up then he's going to lose me as a viewer.

"Oh dear Bob lost a viewer, his world is gonna end!!!" Yeah... No, I know there's some one out there that just thought about responding with that, don't. I'm not making threats, just pointing out my opinion and general distaste for the way he's acting. Which by all means, I am allowed to do here. Watch his review of Splice and then watch this one again, you'll see where my point is coming from.

Have I seen either of these movies? Nope, but if I'm a bad people for admitting that I would probably go see the Expendables instead of Scott Pilgrim, then you are probably the worst kind of person. Though this has nothing to do with movie preferences, what bothers me is when bitching over the internet can be titled as a review.

Stop telling us what we should and shouldn't like, and start telling us about the movies again. For some one who considers everyone sheep, you're trying to do an awful bit of herding.

Apparently this movie pressed ol' Bobby's buttons and he was just plain angry, I doubt he meant to insult everyone who's enjoyed it.
If he actually did some explaining, I don't think anyone would really give his insults a second thought.

Bruce Edwards

Feb 17, 2010
Given the length of this thread, I'm starting to wonder if Bob deliberately did the worst review possible.

I mean, given the fact the review isn't even accurate about some of his complaints (No blood? No memorable death scenes? WTF?) I have a sneaking suspicion his rant may have been an easy way to drive more traffic to the site.

Much as I wonder if the way he sequed his Twilight hatred into reviews of other movies was.

Zombie Nixon

Sep 3, 2009
Starke said:
The thing that I can't reconcile at all is, he begins the review by gloating. So... why, or at whom? I mean, if his idea is to compile a fair review that has no place. The only way gloating works is if he had it in his mind before he went to the showing that this would be a bad film, and he wanted it to be a bad film. Now, if your reviewer has decided a film is bad before watching it, what will result, invariably will be no impartiality on their part, and that, I suspect, is what we've got.
You hit the nail on the head. Most people experience something and form an opinion on it, moviebob forms an opinion on something and experiences it. He'd hate the expendables regardless of quality, because it beat out one of his favorite films and he's decided that he hates it(See also: the last airbender).

Dekrypted

Aug 8, 2010
Well since bob's fan-boy bitching didn't really let me know WHY the movie was bad, I'm gonna go see it anyway. If that makes me a horrible person, then oh well I am a horrible person. One final note if he tries to pass something like this off as a review again then he will lose me as a viewer.

Vargras

Aug 23, 2010
As odd as it might sound, I made an account JUST to post in this topic.

I recently went to see The Expendables with a couple of friends. First and foremost, if you take this film seriously, you will not enjoy it. The plot is horrid (and essentially non-existent), but it's a great film for mindless entertainment. There's explosions, big guns, and tons of action stars everyone can recognize.

And watching Stallone, Willis, and Schwarzenegger on the screen at the same time was a treat (and it got even better when they poked fun at one another, slightly breaking the 4th wall in the process). In addition, I find it somewhat hard to believe that Bob would state that there was no gore. Did he even watch the film? Maybe he missed the parts where nameless bad guys got blown into two pieces, decapitated, or gutted with a machete.

It's not quite an homage to the action films of the 80's, but it's definitely got the over-the-top action part down.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
uh, Bob saw Scott Pilgrim and The Expendables the same week as well as BEFORE the box office numbers were announced. Heck, he even posted his impressions of it on his blog and, surprise, they were pretty much word for word what he said in his video review.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Bruce Edwards said:
Given the length of this thread, I'm starting to wonder if Bob deliberately did the worst review possible.

I mean, given the fact the review isn't even accurate about some of his complaints (No blood? No memorable death scenes? WTF?) I have a sneaking suspicion his rant may have been an easy way to drive more traffic to the site.

Much as I wonder if the way he sequed his Twilight hatred into reviews of other movies was.
I certainly hope so...

Would make me feel better to know there was some thought behind all this nonsensical commenting over, umm.... a movie. A movie that I'm sure no one anticipated was going to be good, so if you were at the very least 'entertained' by the movie, then I suppose the movie was a success and you can ignore this review completely.

So that means one of two things... people either thought the movie was amazing (...........) or people don't like Movie Bob and were waiting for an overly negative review from him so that they can be overly negative in the comments to get 'sweet vengeance' for something he did unrelated to this movie. I hope for the latter, course either way I'm in the clear... no wait... AWWW, here I am posting away.... I lose :)