Escape to the Movies: The Kings Speech

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
hmm... You make valid points and King's Speech is basically Oscar's Baby this year, but... it's still a good film.

I really enjoyed it though True Grit is my favorite (due to it's dark humor and it not being Oscar Bait) but it's not as overrated as you think. Besides most of the other movies don't fit the bill for what is usually picked and Social Network is horribly overrated in my opinion.

My dad picked King Speech as his favorite in fact because he thought the camera work in Black Swan was too shaky, otherwise he would have picked that.

so there >:{P>

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Funny you'd say all this tripe when Inception, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, 127 Hours and Black Swan got nominated for best film. PS you're a film critic talk about the film.

No actually shut the hell up about the film. Your one criticism was that it followed patterns shared by other oscar-winning films. Sorry Helena Bonham Carter didn't get her boobs out for you so it could be awesome.

May 17, 2010
Goldeneye103X2 said:
I...I liked it........*sob*.
Mate, critics are tools. If you saw it and enjoyed it, and then it turned out Bob didn't like it, then you've lost nothing. Bob may get paid for this so obviously I do attach some weight to his opinions (and the same as the actual Oscars)but your own personnal taste is what important to you.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Chill out, Bob. It was a good movie. It doesn't need to pass a certain benchmark to win, they just have to like it.

Nevertheless, good video, even if I don't agree.

Ometochtli

Sep 10, 2008
I agree with movie bob, this is why I don't care about the oscars. It feels like certain types of movies just can not win an oscar, no matter how good they are. While other types of movies can clean up at the oscars even when they are just average.

constantcompile

Sep 9, 2010
DoW Lowen said:
While I really appreciate it when you review films I now understand why I don't always like MovieBob. Don't get me wrong, he's a clever guy, but the thinly veiled personal contempt for the things he likes not getting the recognition he feels they deserve is getting worse every week. He truly is an INTERNET critic, I love it when he reviews since he genuinely gives a fresh perspective on things, but it's tiresome to hear him rant - and sometimes he thinks that the two are inseparable.
This is why I don't watch The Videogame Overthinker anymore. I liked Bob when his goal was bringing deeper perspective or insight to the table, but now it seems he's gotten too comfortable with making things that -he- finds entertaining, to the chagrin of his initial viewer base. There have been a lot of complaints about his recent "Antithinker" videos, and from what I understand, his opinion is that if viewers don't like his material, they shouldn't watch it.

Well... Okay, then.

Opinions are entertaining to hear, up to a point. Past that, it gets tiresome. I hope Bob will reel in the rants and put the spotlight back on consideration and perspective.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
jigilojoe said:
an Australian (not working class (in fact, worse than working class, he was an Australian back in the day when Aussies really were criminals))

Are you taking the piss or are you really that ignorant?

Convict transportation to Australia ended in mid-19th century, 1868 to be more precise.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
*sigh* An 'Oscars cliches' take video, really? If you set out to give a credible review of this film why didn't you take the more analytical appraoch you took to Four Lions?

If you're stuggling to find enough to say on the film itself then I'd suggest you try and broaden your UK film experience and see why this film holds so much appeal for many people who aren't critics or award panelists and who want to watch a warm film in a warm place on a cold January day. I think this is the only UK-based film I've seen Bob review besides Four Lions and it comes out in the complete absense of analysis of national social context or appeal The King's Speech has.

We don't make Dances with Wolves or Gangs of New York, we make The Wind that Shakes the Barley and Made in Dagenham and I hope the success of The King's Speech will encourage people to watch other UK films and experience something different and show Bob that alternative engaging cinema does not de-facto mean 'geek' culture as its central theme.

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
Wow, I never realized how fomulaic Oscar winning films were; and my parents said that MY movies were drivel.
So, If they had set Social Network back in WWII, cast all actors with British Accents, and made it more about class struggle and overcoming differences, it would be up for an Oscar?
(omg, that sounds like a good skit for some show/ net series)

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I haven't seen it, but I doubt it's as good as Black Swan.

Seriously, Black Swan is the best movie I've ever seen. If it wins an Oscar, though, I'll eat my hat.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Wow, I did not expect a turn around review.
I really enjoyed this one.

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
I think you should try this formula of reviewing, since it's insightful and adds humorous ability to your retelling of what you saw. Watching this made me think of Extra Credits the way you did it.

cloudskyff7

Sep 1, 2009
The Academy Awards should make some changes, and go back to having two Best Picture categories:

A) Outstanding Picture & Production
B) Unique and Artistic Production

Bob talked about this last year. The film industry has changed and so has its audience.
Movies can me made entirely on a computer. While other movies dumbed-down the story/characters/setting for an audience who wants to see explosions and CGI robots.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Loved the video, but I have to say that I also enjoyed the film. Sure, it was obviously fishing for Oscars, but it was still enjoyable.