Escape to the Movies: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
Bob how the hell did you get so right. you have hit every damn nail twilight should just stop now ... it would be better for all of us

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
MasochisticMuse said:
Bad writing and character development is forgivable in a passing fad.
Uh, why? All weird plot machinations aside, if something is badly written and has bad characters/ character development, it is bad.
Fads are almost always bad. That's why they're called "fads" instead of long-standing works of literature/film. I guarantee you that the Twilight "Saga" will never be considered a literary classic, no matter how many years go by.

Ugh. I'm Icelandic and every time I hear the word "saga" applied to Twilight, I weep a little inside. What a perversion of the word.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
This wasn't so much of a review of the movie, which people are either going to see or not see regardless of quality. But I am glad that Bob touched on the awful themes that permeate throughout the Twilight saga: The awful co-dependancy of Bella and her acceptance of all Edward's abusive behaviour. It wouldn't be so bad if this series never gained its popularity with impressionable young girls, already stuffed with messages that they should grow up, get married to someone handsome, and pump out their babies (just look at the girl's toy aisle), but it's taken a startling hold on the tween population. However, the book gushes on and on about Edward, despite the fact that he's a stalker and emotionally high-strung. He treats Bella more like a possession than a girlfriend, rarely letting her make her own decisions. Meyer even murders Jacob's characterization along the way, turning Jacob into the stalker of Bella's rapid-birth spine-breaking baby.

And the worst part?

Just look at how disgustingly popular Edward is. Even Pattinson isn't exactly fond of acting out the role of Edward, because of the insane amount of extreme fan "love" he gets. There is a whole generation of girls who hold Twilight up on a pedestal as if it is one of the crowning pieces of literature of our time, and Twilight is now the standard that we hold teen romance books against.

And I can't believe they're making two movies out of the most unneccessary book in the series. Urgh.

Jezixo

Jan 19, 2010
Love this. Best review from MovieBob yet. I especially liked the last minute or so, I really love how he went beyond the obvious criticisms to really attack the central problem with Twilight. I knew there was a reason I hated it, and now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Yeeessss...

Release your anger! Let it consume you!

I like it when Bob doesn't like a film :D

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
The only thing I was interested in was your experience going to see a twilight movie on the first day. Sadly, you left that out...

el_negro

Nov 8, 2009
I was intrigued by the "Twilight" series, I watched the first one about a day or two ago and I'd rather watch England vs. Argelia again than this piece of overrated piece of crap

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Once again, Bob takes a sparkling emo bullet for us. Thank you Bob, we owe you our souls.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
MovieBob said:
I have to do this at least two more times...
. . .
There's going to be... TWO MORE?

[small]FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-[/small]

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Bob talking about Twilight leading to mammoth amounts of domestic abuse reminds me of this.

Back on topic though I was so surprised to find out that the same guy who did Hard Candy did Twilight(granted I haven't seen this Twilight so.....), however it's still very surprising.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
wait I'm really sorry for posting since I havent finished the video yet but...
at the 3:00 mark is Dakota Fanning wearing a F*CKING ORGANIZATION XIII COAT!?!?!?!?!?

NOT COOL FILMMAKKERS! NOT COOL!

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
[HEADING=2] YES! YEESS! TAKE IT TWILIGHT YOU WHORE![/HEADING]

Wait did I just say that out loud?

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you so much Mr. Bob for driving the point home, why people should hate these books.

This is why I am wearing my
[http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/OWD/OWD45048-XL_500.jpeg]

shirt today and going to see a movie just to piss off any fans walking by.

XD I got a lot of looks though funny enough the ticket taker seemed shocked when she read that my mom and I were going to see Karate Kid instead of Eclipse. It would almost been perfect if we were seeing A-team XD but we've seen that all ready.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009

Excuse me while I go mourn the downfall of the modern female image as this movie makes rabid fan-girls that shift relationships back into the 1940's..

..Or the fucking terrible excuse for movie-making this is. Then again, it's.. Twilight.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
We geeks & nerds have smartly moved from bashing the sparkliness of the vampires & blandness/uselessness of the leading lady, to pointing out that the series is a horrid influence on young women, because it is. Even the nerds who actually LIKE the book sereis agree with that.

On some radio blog yesterday, a young lady pointed out that while fantasies aimed at women in their 30s & up were okey because it was escapism, it's not okey for teens & preeteens who are very impressionable & just learning about relationships.

However, I can totally see this series getting it's own manga & anime in Japan & becomming even MORE popular there, because Japan's shoujo lineup is JUST as bad & promotes the SAME shit. But everyone knows Japan (& really all of Asia) is a little....behind on feminism.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Wait a minute, how could the director of one of the best vampire movies of all time (sorry, I loved 30 Days of Night) screw up another vampire movie? Oh wait, this is Twilight, it was already messed up. And people call me screwed up for loving Watchmen.