Escape to the Movies: Thor

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
The Philistine said:
Antwerp Caveman said:
Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is Hawkeye, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?
Having not seen the movie yet, maybe a reference to Henry Pimm (Giant Man)? He's in Marvel's recent animated series anyway, so it wouldn't' be a surprise if he made his way into the movie franchise as well.
No, he wasn't THAT big :p 6-7 feet.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Thor! Thor! He's our man! If he can't do it, he'll beat you bloody with his hammer! :D

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It was a very pragmatic adaption and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It knew what to keep and what to lose. I personally never cared for the Donald Blake personality in the comics, Thor doesn't need an alternative identity and it often raised unfortunate questions (if Donald Blake is actually Thor, and they share a soul etc, isn't he cheating on Sif and Jane with each other?). I've honestly prefered the space alien idea in comics, which has unfortunately been underplayed in recents years (though JMS' run is one of the best written).

Good inclusion of Hawkeye and the Warriors three. This Thor can easily fit in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Idris Elba was great, he turned what could have been an unremarkable character into one of my favourite parts of the film. Regardless on whether or not his skin colour matched the original, his voice and manner was perfect. I definitely believe he could see all of time and space, while possessing un-imaginable power that could rival Odin or Thor. Yet at the same time was funny while still in character when he aided the Warriors Three. The man is definitely a rising a star.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
ArBeater said:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad
Well, face it. Most video-game based movies ARE bad. And that includes the two Lara Croft movies and the four Resident Evil movies.
And on the other hand, comic-book movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight are undeniably awesome.

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learnt here, but in general it's easy to remember that video-game movies < comic-book movies.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Am I the only one that hated the parts of the movie where it kinda went over the top?

Such as: emotional scene when he dies, him fighting the guardian with probably the most ridiculous attack ever or him starting to have a relationship with her

I have not read the comic, but it felt a bit too much and Thor unlike.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
SmileyBat said:
WhiteFangofWar said:
Natalie Portman is certainly on a fantasy roll here between this, V for Vendetta and Black Swan.
Black Swan fantasy?
Too good to leave off a list of good movies Natalie Portman's been in. Besides it has one fantasy element.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
Good Review although. Norse gods did not battle Ice Giants. They're called Jotner from Jotunheim. mmkay?

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
I'm kicking myself for not staying at the credits. It was a damn good movie though, one I didn't expect to enjoy but was blown away by. Plus I saw it in 3D, which worked quite well. Yep, excellent.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
at the end of the credits...at the little sneak a peek.

this:

http://marvel.com/universe/Cosmic_Cube

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CosmicCube.jpg

:c

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
what is the cameo?
and what kind of person sits through creds to watch a scene that is of course on youtube already with useful comments.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Is anyone else here a little perplexed about how Bob describes Natalie Portman's character?
"Refreshingly ordinary, dressed down, plain-Jane astrophysicist."

Repeat

"Refreshingly ordinary, dressed down, plain-Jane astrophysicist."

That's like how they called Ryan Reynolds in the upcoming Green Lantern "an ordinary Joe" despite him having the body of an olympic athlete and being a goddamn jet pilot.

When did jobs like that become plain and ordinary?

On topic: Good review, I'll probably go see this.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Draconalis said:
Also, I still think this would have made a much more amusing thor movie.

Yes but that would bear a striking resemblance to dp showing some originality as a character and....well....y'know. Not his strong suit. I mean c'mon WADE Wilson? Were they even trying to mask the direct lift?

Anywho I went and saw this last night with a freind and we both thought it rocked! Good times all throughout and the Shield agent really is starting to become a show stealer in these movies. The lab assistant was great too although she hasn't gotten much credit for it (she seemed a lot funnier than whoever princess my but it's cold in the desert was playing)Those of you who didn't like it or thought it was only average? Lemmee ask you real quick. What did you think of Black Swan? Yeah, bingo. This was not an art film there, Ebert. It was a *&^*ing FUN film! Right I forget that's not really your deal. Same boring wannabe critics that thought TRON sucked. *SIGH*

Sometimes I have to remind myself that pretentious, jaded, opinions don't matter and they won't stop Avengers from being made. Sweeeeeeet! God I hate critics, particularly ones who could do no better and in fact have probably nothing (thankfully) to their own "creative" credit. I just happen to think Moviebob is funny, I don't actually care if he thinks I should go see a movie or not.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Okay, serious question.

Sucker Punch vs Thor -

Which is the better pull? If we're talking fantastical setting, SP seems to beat Thor and I'm going to see one today so...

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
It was a good movie, I agree with everything Bob said. Great addition to the Marvel series of movies and an excellent set up for Captain America. I believe Captain America may be the best one yet.