Escape to the Movies: Toy Story 3

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I shed tears. The catharsis...the denouement...That it really, really, was the end of the Toy Story saga...It was absolutely, unarguably, perfect.

Although, my one contention:

Why didn't the mom go off to college with him? What mom wouldn't go drop her kid off at college?

elmo360

Jun 7, 2009
i cried, thats right i said it, I CRIED IN FRONT OF MY GF WHEN I SAW THIS MOVIE, i am man enough to say it. i was born in 1990, i was five when the first one came out and i have love the movies every since. I am now a 19 year old college student, just like Andy, with a room filled with old toys, jest like Andy. After seeing this movie i gave all my toy to a childrens hospital near my house. they will never go unplayed again. :)

DarkHuntress

Apr 8, 2010
This is a great movie. I loved the ending even though I did feel a couple of tears sliding down my cheek.

Doesn't make me feel old at all. People of all ages will love this movie.

What does make me feel old is when I get to a rough spot in a game and my 5 year old nephew says "Let me do that for you" and he does.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I think I might be going on a impromptu date with the girl I fancy to see this.
I invited all my mates she knows (so it wouldn't be awkward) and they all had crap to do.

But, judging from the 'mortallity' stuff bob mentioned, should I go see this?!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I, like many other people on this site, grew up along with Andy. This is why I was a bit scared when I saw a poster with huge ass 3, rendered in Toy Story fashion. Mostly cause I thought it was gonna be like a comic book. No closure, the status quo is back to square one and the fact that Andy should be about my age right about now would be tossed out of a window. The reason why this series is so good is not only because of great writing, chars and animation. It is because there is a logical turn of events through the timeline. Toys learn that there are people who blow them to bits for fun, that in their case, ownership is something volatile and extremely likely to change and that they represent one of the most unlikely forces able to stand up to time.

Seeing though that we are talking about a movie, the whole Toy Story gang, has effectively become immortal in their own right for my part. An exhilarating ride from start to finish this movie was. Watched it last night. Here is a trilogy among the lines of LOTR, Back To The Future and the original Star Wars trilogy. I really do not know how to say this in a more straight-forward way but the amount of emotion being pumped into the entire movie is enough to make your head implode. The nods, references and flat-out lies and situations that toys have to go up against in a mere 2 hours satisfied me to death.

If I didn't like something, it was the fact that a certain ghostbusters chick was not in the film. But then I realized that the movie would lag a bit with 2 you-know whats instead of one is better. Less is more and by, like Bob said, pulling the trigger, Pixar managed to stay above par from sequels that all they try to do in a threequel, is recycle. I am glad it is done. Let it rest and show it to your kids. Oh and maybe play the movie tie-in cause I heard it's great.

Mischiviktus

Aug 6, 2008
Just saw it finally, and it's an extremely great movie. When the first released, I was 7 years old, 11 when the second released and now 22 with this one, but still it's a treasured series and still enjoyable. I did get tear-eyed at it though, parts like Big Baby having the realization about Lots-A-Huggin' Bear's lies and of course the last 15 minutes. Not only that, but the humor properly laid out through it like Woody trying in vain to use Buster as a mount or Woody's escape attempt made me laugh pretty hard.

Pixar, thanks for giving the world Toy Story, and continuing to make nothing but Grade-A movies since Toy Story 1.

diadia

Jun 26, 2010
It was indeed a awesome movie. I was nervous going in because like everyone else I was afraid they would ruin a great thing but no need to sweat it. It was fun, it was sad, I laughed, I cried. Seriously considering going to see it again. I'm just glad I was able to talk my friends into going to see this instead of Knight and Day, yikes!

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Wow... I never heard Bob sound so... Morbid... so devastated.

This is sounding like that last 15 minutes... uhhh... first 10 minutes of Up won't even compare.
The end of Toy Story 3 tower over Up's beginning. Tower. saw it yesterday.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I just watched it and thought it was great, great story, great villians, great drama, great comedy. The 3D wasn't that good, the characters were just on screen level and the background in a deeper level, nothing popped out of the screen.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
For movies featuring children's toys, Toystory has always had a sharp, hard edge hidden under all that plush. That's what made them relatable to the adults "forced" to go see them with the kids. I'm glad to hear that it gets an appropriate send off, and since I'm the one with childlike whimsy in our relationship, I'll undoubtedly make my wife go see it with me.

As a side note:
dashiz94 said:
WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BRING UP THAT SCENE FROM THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER?!?!?!? Do you know how LONG it took me to forget that!? DO YOU?!
I'm not sure what The Brave Little Toaster is, but I sure as hell remember Artax and the Swamp of Despair. Man, was that rough.
God damn you ;_;

ARTAX! JUST KEEP MOVING ARTAX! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
Maybe it's because I'm becoming more heartless or maybe it's because I read all the hype behind it or maybe it's because the theatre was full of loud, obnoxious 6 year olds who wouldn't STFU and it took me out of the moment, but I wasn't nearly as emotional at the end of the movie as I thought I'd be. Oh it was an awesome ending and the movie is still a must see, but compared to the ending of Wall-E, Toy Story 3 felt more like a soft blow to the stomach rather than a sharo stab in the chest. But that's just my opinion.

EvilChicken25

Nov 18, 2009
I can't help but have a great deal of respect for you Bob, as well as good movie critics in general.

Like all those in your profession, you take the time to point out the good parts of a movie, as well as rip apart the bad. You share with us why things worked out, and what could have been done to save a film. But what REALLY sets you apart from someone ranting hysterically on their blog, is that you are willing to admit when something works as a whole. And THOSE are the reviews we as fans truly look forward to.

"District 9", "Up", "Iron Man" and now "Toy Story 3", you are never too proud to admit when you've gone into a theater and seen something of true creative craftsmanship. It's when you take the time to show us all that there are still great story tellers in the world, we gain from it in so many ways. Not just by helping us decided what to do over the weekend, but what kind of mindset and emotions we can experience from something as silly as talking toys.

I, like so many others, grew up with Toy Story 1 and 2, so I can say that Toy Story 3 was aimed directly at me. And as you pointed out, it hits it's target spot on. The continuous shifts from high to low points was nearly exhausting. By the time the credits began to roll, I felt as though I had gone through every adventure with these guys, because that's exactly what Pixar was trying to do. They weren't trying to sell products or get us to "drink our Ovaltine," they wanted to take us into the world of childhood and hit us upside the head with a truly touching story.

And they did it with flying colors.

So I wish to say thank you for giving this movie the proper admiration that it so deserves, thank you for allowing yourself to be humbled, and I will gladly join you, Movie Bob, in saying THANK YOU to Pixar for making the best three-part movie series since Lord of the Rings or Back to the Future.

Bravo, sirs. Bravo.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
This was an alright movie. It did get pretty fucking dark at the end though, which freaked me out cause I had absolutely no warning before I saw it. Oh, Totoro doll ftw ^_^

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Ok, late to the party here. That's what I get though for wanting to avoid the crowds...not to mention waiting for a day when my girlfriend is off from work so we can see it together.

Anyway, I agree: Toy Story 3 is GREAT movie! Pixar can really do no wrong. Even more importantly, they managed to bring their level of quality to the third installment in the series; a place where many movie franchises begin to falter. That in itself is an achievement. The movie truly ran the gamut of emotions, and I welled-up at the end as much as the next guy. It really was one of the best films of the summer.

BUT...

I felt Bob was really overreaching in making the film series as a whole, and this movie in particular, as a metaphor for mortality. Granted, it's there if you're looking for it, and it is pretty easy to find, but I didn't feel it was as played-up as Bob thought it was. While there is a sense of finality in the movie, it's not the bleak one that I felt Bob was kind of hinting at. In fact, I found the ending of the movie to be very sweet rather than sad as some others here found it. So when I was welling-up, it was more tears of joy than sadness. Yes, the book is closed for good as far as Andy is concerned, but Woody, Buzz and the others will go on and find much love and happiness with their new owner. And while it does leave the possibility open for further sequels, I was glad that Pixar was kind of saying that this was as far as we walked with these characters, and anything else would just be open to fan-speculation. And that's how I prefer most franchises to end, frankly.

So yeah, I agree Toy Story 3 was great, but I thought Bob was really overthinking it. Then again, that is kind of par for the course.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
The film was magnificent. Brilliant beyond belief. Also this is the first time I will ever say 'good review' to moviebob.

Good review.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Oh lord...he just HAD to mention the quicksand/horse scene from the never ending story... :'(
Moviebob you're a bad man....

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
TheEnglishman said:
Yeah, I was 5 when the first one came out, 9 when the second one came out (second film I ever saw at cinema's, first being Bugs Life) and I'm off to University this September, so this film has unintentionally made itself even more emotionally moving than it was to begin with.

This has always been a beloved film series, so it's good to know I'm gonna enjoy it.
Same thing here, now I'm not sure if I want to see it any more(well I want to, but I'm afraid to... I mean we're talking about my childhood here, and all that sentimental stuff)
+ I've yet to decide what to do with my old toys(left them in the attic for over half of decade, but I'm not sure if that's a fitting end to them...)

captainfoss

Apr 21, 2010
I guess I can be proud that was one of souls in the right age group to be able to follow this movie from childhood to its final stand. Great movie, Great review, Keep it up!