Escape to the Movies: Transformers Revenge

knightguy123

May 20, 2009
Broken Wings said:
sneakypenguin said:
I never understood the rage against human characters in transformers. I strangely like Shia I think he's a good actor. I couldn't make it though the review cause it seem hate for hates sake. My personal opinion was it was the most fun movie i've seen this summer. But i'm not a critic or cynic....
Do you want to know why people don't like the human characters in a TRANSFORMERS movie? Really you can't figure out why people don't like the fact that the TRANSFORMERS are only in part of their own TRANSFORMER movie, and the rest is filled with a stupid romantic comedy cliche bullshit. I seriously can't figure out why you can't figure out why people dislike people in the TRANSFORMER movie. Anyway...TRANSFORMER!!! Have a nice day.
wow you ended up being funnier than the douchebag who wrote this review who probaly spent every part of his childhood sulking in a corner because the street fighter movie wasnt good this is so bad a review that he doesnt even consider fans of the series I however grew up watching the cartoons and playing with transformers as a kid PLUS your listening to a man who said he hated the first transformers movie should you really listen to his opinion on the sequel, answer NO!!!!!!!if you havent seen the review let me sum it up ahem,TRANFORMERS TRANSFORMERS TRANSFORMERS TRANSFORMERS MICHEL BAY!!!!! ,sorry about that all im saying is that its great movie that was a little racist go see it now also escapist rename this hate mail to michel bay

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
Going to have to snip out some things here and there, mostly second or third-level quotes. Otherwise this is going to be longer than the full review I posted earlier up the page.

lightspeed said:
lightspeed said:
Why i watched this review i do not know considering moviebob hated it before he went to see it as he slagged it off in his previous reviews. Moviebob it is now apparently clear you know nothing about movies.
Natsu_Blaze said:
So, why did you? And why are you now commenting on said review?
Because i was curious and thought it would start raining pigs and moviebob would review the movie to a good standard
I stand by my earlier statements that Moviebob created an argument with reasons behind it to support his opinions. I've listed just a few of the points a few pages back. An exercise, if you will: Go look at it, and pretend that I've just told you that a new movie came out, and these things were wrong with it. Based solely on that information, would you think it would be reasonable to conclude that the movie in question sucked?
Also, people like you who wander onto videos they know they aren't going to like and then comment on them calling them shit or what-not are prevalent on Youtube. We like to call them "trolls".

For starters wazoo is not a word come on use a big boy word like arse. Like i stated before it was a simple movie nothing special and it was not supposed to be so you cannot blame it for not being complicated and deep. "moviebob and i" are you a tag team because i did not realise you wrote some of the script of this review :O
Oh, stop being so immature. I said "Moviebob and I" because he has argued it in his main review and in his comments here, and I have similarly argued it here. In other words we both have made the same argument.
And I can say wazoo if I want. Wazoo is a funny word and everyone knows what it means. Swearing was invented to express extreme emotion; it loses its meaning if people wander around saying "mother****er" in every sentence like they want to be Fifty Cent. (Another reason why I hate the Twins right there.)

The plot sucked. Next question.
It did not suck it was simple and sometimes when people need to relax a simple plot is nicer to follow than one about nuclear fission.
I'm not asking for the next Farewell to Arms here, but the plot spends two-thirds of the time focused on Sam and the rest of the trivial human cast, doing things that have NO relevance to the movie whatsoever. In addition, every time the humans are onscreen, the plot becomes a bunch of stitched-together cliches. I could predict pretty much every point of interaction between Sam and Mikaela: the "say you love me" subplot nobody cared about, her walking in on the human Decepticon (there's another plothole for ya; where'd she go?) while she's forcing Sam into a kiss, the inevitable "Sam goes to a frat party and is nearly unfaithful" thing (at least Bumblebee was funny in that scene)... I could go on, but I think I've made my point. The only time it got interesting was when backstory showed up, things like the Primes or the Matrix of Leadership.
Worse than the cliches, though, or the humans hogging all the plot, were the gaping plotholes all over the place. I've already gone over that in detail; if you want to know more look up the page for the full review I did an hour after seeing the movie myself.

-quote from Moviebob snipped-
It's not about there being action in an action movie. It's about the action in this action movie being terrible.
I have a perfectly good pair of ears on the side of my head and their not just there to provide support for my sunglasses, i heard every word of moviebob's review down to the last sickening accented word. Now ask yourself what is the aim of every movie. To give enjoyment to the viewer through immersion (plus to make heaps of money) and the more realistic the more likely you will be immersed. So how will it feel if there were missiles, giant robots and explosions? Hmmmm i think you would not be able to make out what was going on, so it sets you in the moment like you are actually there. All the action scenes that where worth seeing every bit in great detail were the smaller fight scenes e.g. the forest battle. If you rate bad action down to the fact you were too slow to make out every detail then you are a retard no question!
Sure, I wouldn't actually be able to see much if I was actually there. But I don't want to see it as if I were actually there, I want to see the fight or the scene's not worth it. I mean, the Bumblebee fight was absolutely awesome, but I could only see three events (two of them in super slow-mo) because the rest of the fight was obscured by motion blur. That's not good screenplay right there.
This is an action movie. If the Rule of Cool can apply, pick that over hyper-realism.

Have you EVER seen a Transformers cartoon? This is a story about the Transformers. Making the humans take center stage is a stupid, terrible idea that makes it into just Random Alien Invasion Action Flick #2453.
And he explained the relatability thing. Both in the review and in comments. The Transformers are completely capable of making the story relatable on their own. They speak, they have faces (this is mostly paraphrasing Moviebob here), they have emotions. They have personalities.
Allow me to put this simply; you must have HATED Wall-E, since you can't relate to a robot.
This part made me lol hard first thing i have never seen Wall-E and I?m sure it was good second i can relate to the transformers (I?m one of those strange few that prefers aliens to predators) and i will agree with you it should have been a lot more focused on the actual transformers but movie making is a business and to sell the most tickets bay wanted it to appeal to old school fanboys and people just getting into the genre so that?s why he had to give the film a human face.
Wall-E needed no human face to appeal to people "just getting into it". People would pay good money to see a movie about a massive intergalactic war that shifted battlefields to our planet. Hell, they paid good money to see E.T., didn't they?

Okay each person?s opinion is different they may be similar at times but different. So to not experience something just because, someone?s jaded opinion of a movie butchered it for all the nitpicky faults is stupid. It shows you lack free will to think for yourself e.g. i think Yahtzee is a brilliant reviewer but he dislikes jrpgs and i like some of the FFs but i have not played one just because he dislikes them because I?m not a mindless moron who takes orders over the internet from complete strangers :p. No Yahtzee does not have a patent to it but he owns the right because he came up with the unique style it?s an insult to him for stupid people with no creativity to steal it for themselves. You say the back ground gags are the only similarity? hmmm okay what about the lack of punctuation in moviebob's speech and large amount of swearing. Another question why do you think Yahtzee's review is called ZERO PUNCTUATION..... you know its beyond me but a super genius like yourself might be able to figure it out.
Again, you're talking about a film critic here. That's his JOB, to give you a review of a movie to aid in your judgement whether you want to go see it or now.
And as the poster above me has said, people talk faster when they're angry. There actually isn't a lack of punctuation at all in his review, and he swore a hell of a lot less than Yahtzee on a GOOD day. And, again taking from the previous poster, Yahtzee uses lots of images of characters to make his visual gags (himself, the imps, etc.) Moviebob, on the other hand, puts up pictures and text. That's a very big difference in style right there.
Seriously... what exactly are you claiming is similar other than the fact that they both talk fast?

I do commend you though because some of your argument does have you own thought and opinion them, but the other bits are twisted by moviebob's bazaar biest opinion. I have nothing wrong with people not liking something but there has to be a reason to this in moviebob's review he has just given why he did not like which is opinion not facts about the film. Yahtzee really tries hard to find good points and the bad ones adding his personal opinion as extra which what a good review should be
"Twisted" isn't the word for it. "Informed", perhaps. He states his opinion and gave reasons for it (again, I've said this all before and I'm not going to repeat it; go back a page if you want to know.) Reasons are based in facts. "I didn't like the robot designs." "There are plotholes in the script; what the hell happened to X Y and Z?" That's what I'm talking about when I say reasons.
More to the point, I have now seen the movie. I can confirm myself a large quantity of what Moviebob has said. I even wrote a full review of my own halfway up the page, less than an hour afterwards so it would be fresh in my mind.

"Concentrated stupid" lol you mean you tiny little brain cannot think of nothing else to type!
No, I just have very little tolerance for people saying stupid things. Like everything below this sentence, which is likewise going to be snipped. There's nothing to call saying stupid things like that except flaming.
(And no, I'm not a fanboy. I decided to get involved in the debate, so naturally when I see new posts on the subject I respond to them. That's what you do in a debate.)

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
Slycne said:
It's not unreasonable to expect more out of a film even if you enjoyed it.
THANK you... I've spent at least twenty posts trying to make that point...
Very glad somebody else agrees with me.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard 5 straight minutes of more pure, unadulterated hate.
I guess I wouldn't know since I'm not having my childhood icons trampled upon, but whew...that was out there.

Sorry if I fall under the douchebag demographic for enjoying it just for the brainless explosions and hot chicks.
Even I caught some of the plot holes (pretty fucking gaping, if you put even the slightest bit of thought into it), but I was willing to dismiss them just for the pretty bright flashes.

I think I'm just grateful that something so inherently ridiculous as giant, metamorphosizing robots coming to Earth to wage intergalactic war could be translated to movie form (with the help of mindblowing CGI) and be, at least for the most part, taken seriously.

MikeHax

Dec 20, 2008
Thesreyn said:
Transformers 2 is serious business.

Eh, who am I kidding, most of you decrying this movie are going to be either trolls or moviebob fans, and if it's the last case, please take a look at yourself and consider having an opinion of your own for once, instead of listening to the next yahtzee ripoff :)
So if someone doesn't like a movie, they have no right to complain about it?

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
13lackfriday said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard 5 straight minutes of more pure, unadulterated hate.
I guess I wouldn't know since I'm not having my childhood icons trampled upon, but whew...that was out there.

Sorry if I fall under the douchebag demographic for enjoying it just for the brainless explosions and hot chicks.
Even I caught some of the plot holes (pretty fucking gaping, if you put even the slightest bit of thought into it), but I was willing to dismiss them just for the pretty bright flashes.

I think I'm just grateful that something so inherently ridiculous as giant, metamorphosizing robots coming to Earth to wage intergalactic war could be translated to movie form (with the help of mindblowing CGI) and be, at least for the most part, taken seriously.
Hey! Transformers is serious business! XP
Anyway... honestly, I can respect that. If you're just going in looking for chicks and explosions, then you'll enjoy at least a third of the movie. Hell, I'm massively disappointed and I still had parts I liked. (Whoever came up with Jetfire deserves a ****ing medal, man...) My real problem is that I felt it could have been, and deserved to be, better. You're making a movie out of a franchise very near and dear to a lot of people's hearts, mine included. Don't half-ass something like that.
(Is it true that they only spent three months writing this movie? For the love of Primus, even Twilight took a year to write...)

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Natsu_Blaze said:
13lackfriday said:

Anyway... honestly, I can respect that. If you're just going in looking for chicks and explosions, then you'll enjoy at least a third of the movie. Hell, I'm massively disappointed and I still had parts I liked. (Whoever came up with Jetfire deserves a ****ing medal, man...) My real problem is that I felt it could have been, and deserved to be, better. You're making a movie out of a franchise very near and dear to a lot of people's hearts, mine included. Don't half-ass something like that.
(Is it true that they only spent three months writing this movie? For the love of Primus, even Twilight took a year to write...)
You kidding?
I enjoyed the whole movie.

I couldn't really feel disappointed since I went in expecting what I got from the 1st Trans, except more of it, and that's what I got.
I never watched the cartoon show or read the comics since I considered them pretty much corn, so I have nothing to base the movie version off of (except for a little plastic toy the size of a thumb that I had as a child).

My only real issue with the movie were the parts that really sold out the franchise.
Jetfire being an old Transformer, he even got a metal pseudo-beard with a cane and a bunch of predictable geriatric problems (like robo-arthritis).
Then there's the Twins...they were funny aight, but I don't need 2 goblin-looking mini-mobiles that are supposedly descended from an advanced artificial species for comic relief.

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
13lackfriday said:
Natsu_Blaze said:
13lackfriday said:

You kidding?

I couldn't really feel disappointed since I went in expecting what I got from the 1st Trans, except more of it, and that's what I got.
I never watched the cartoon show or read the comics since I considered them pretty much corn, so I have nothing to base the movie version off of (except for a little plastic toy the size of a thumb that I had as a child).
And as I said, that's fine. I thought it deserved better, but you're welcome to enjoy it as it is.
And corny things aren't necessarily bad. Look at G Gundam- there isn't a single thing in that series that isn't corny to the max, and yet it's one of the most epic and amazing action animes in existence.

My only real issue with the movie were the parts that really sold out the franchise.
Jetfire being an old Transformer, he even got a metal pseudo-beard with a cane and a bunch of predictable geriatric problems (like robo-arthritis).
Then there's the Twins...they were funny aight, but I don't need 2 goblin-looking mini-mobiles that are supposedly descended from an advanced artificial species for comic relief.
Aww, I liked Jetfire... Also, the metal beard isn't just because he's old. All the Primes had those, and he's in some way related to them (I didn't understand exactly how, though... what exactly were all those Transformers that Simmons had pictures of? Descendents?) And personality-wise, he was just awesome. I mean, crotchety old British dude? Who later on sacrifices himself to give Optimus the power to kick 99 kinds of ass at once? What's not to like?
But I'm with you on the Twins. Besides, the dog-humping jokes were funnier than those two... -_-"

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Natsu_Blaze said:
13lackfriday said:
Natsu_Blaze said:
13lackfriday said:

You kidding?

And as I said, that's fine. I thought it deserved better, but you're welcome to enjoy it as it is.
And corny things aren't necessarily bad. Look at G Gundam- there isn't a single thing in that series that isn't corny to the max, and yet it's one of the most epic and amazing action animes in existence.

Aww, I liked Jetfire... Also, the metal beard isn't just because he's old. All the Primes had those, and he's in some way related to them (I didn't understand exactly how, though... what exactly were all those Transformers that Simmons had pictures of? Descendents?) And personality-wise, he was just awesome. I mean, crotchety old British dude? Who later on sacrifices himself to give Optimus the power to kick 99 kinds of ass at once? What's not to like?
But I'm with you on the Twins. Besides, the dog-humping jokes were funnier than those two... -_-"
Yeah that's true...the story definitely could have used more work.
It was, at best, horrendous and little more than an excuse for more of all of the action scenes.
Now Gundam, that's one thing I have a past with. I hardly remember it since, once again, I was only watching it as a kid for all the bright, multicolored explosions.

I don't remember the term exactly (Seeker?) but it said on Wikipedia that he was one of the Transformers responsible for finding planets suitable for the Sun Extractor (or wtv it's called) to be planted on for the Primes.
Haha yeah, there's one token personality type that never gets old.
His heroic ending was a bit heart-wrenching for me (literally), but the resulting combo-transformation and the way he utterly destroyed 2 of the universe's supervillains was quite worth it.
Maybe...but the occasional crude comments they made were so out of place, it kind of surprised you, which only made it funnier.

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
13lackfriday said:
Yeah that's true...the story definitely could have used more work.
It was, at best, horrendous and little more than an excuse for more of all of the action scenes.
Now Gundam, that's one thing I have a past with. I hardly remember it since, once again, I was only watching it as a kid for all the bright, multicolored explosions.
This hand of mine is BURNING RED!!!

I don't remember the term exactly (Seeker?) but it said on Wikipedia that he was one of the Transformers responsible for finding planets suitable for the Sun Extractor (or wtv it's called) to be planted on for the Primes.
Haha yeah, there's one token personality type that never gets old.
His heroic ending was a bit heart-wrenching for me (literally), but the resulting combo-transformation and the way he utterly destroyed 2 of the universe's supervillains was quite worth it.
Maybe...but the occasional crude comments they made were so out of place, it kind of surprised you, which only made it funnier.
I agree with the noble ending thing... I just went, "Jetfire..." right there in the front row. And yeah, if he was coterminous with the Primes and worked to help them, it would make sense that he would have design similarities.
... I mean, it's still a metal beard, but at least there's a reason for it. :D
I also loved his earlier battle scene. Just having Jetfire show up out of freaking NOWHERE and start kicking the crap out of the Decepticons was plain awesome. I wish the final battle (Super Optimus vs. The Fallen) had gone on a lot longer, though. It was over in less than a minute, and I felt kinda cheated after all the buildup, after Jetfire's noble sacrifice, and everything else. Destroying the extractor so quickly was fine; it was about to go off anyway and Optimus+Jetfire=pwnage. But we're talking about one of the original seven Transformers, a guy so badass that even Megatron calls him boss, and he dies in a few hits? *sigh*
Honestly, it's fine if you like the Twins, but I hated them. The off-kilter timing just made things worse in my eyes. And frankly, their "personalities" are a pair of thugs more ghetto than Fifty Cent... not really endearing.

I want to know one thing, though. The extractor thingy harvests Energon by blowing up stars, right? Well... does anybody else think it's a bad idea to blow up a sun when you're a mere A.U. away from it?

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I seen the movie and I kinda liked it. But there were some really stupid parts in there. I didn't think the love plot was a good idea. And the big battle only took one minute! I waited an hour and a half for this big, final battle, and it lasted a minute. I was ticked by this. And you know they will make a 3rd one by the way it ends.

Yoda isOnline

Jun 19, 2009
Has anybody noticed that Moviebob doesn't like half of these films right off the bat because he's still comparing them to thier previous generation counterparts? I find that if you judge it as it's own spectacle rather than comparing it to something old that was great then you get a slightly more accurate view of it. It's like somebody i know not liking Banjo Kazooie N&B, because thier comparing it to the old ones, despite it actually being quite a good game.

CAPPINJACK

Dec 4, 2008
As an addendum to what I consider a fantastic rant/review by MovieBob, I give you the topless robot take on this gigantic fiasco:
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1 [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1]

Seriously, to those who actually LIKED this thing... I can only say this: ROBOT HEAVEN!? What. The fuck.

Yoda isOnline said:
Has anybody noticed that Moviebob doesn't like half of these films right off the bat because..etc..etc..etc... Whatever, you can read it yourself, it's right above this.
Has anybody noticed that doesn't like half of MovieBob's reviews because he has a differing opinion??

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Two posts up:
Can you name even 5? cause half of 200+ reviews is not the few you've seen here at the escapist.

bandits ace

Jul 2, 2009
Movie Bob is a douchetastic f**ktarded moron x4. Michael Bay is a demi-god. Guys like Movie Bob are just lashing out because they failed in the movie industry. The numbers speak for themselves--bad movies dont sell tickets, great movies break records at the box office.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
^So I guess star wars ep 1 was FANTASIC since it had high sales! And you know you know nothing about moviebob's career.Michael bay a DEMIGOD? Even his hardcore fans don't praise him that highly. If your trolling, Your coming off as UNBELIEVABLY stupid, instead of believably stupid. Lurk moar troll. You need to say something more inflammatory and argument-starting to get people worked up. Like calling transformers the best action movie EVAR. And then talk about how the xbox 360 Transformers game is better than final fantasy XIII.

Embright

Jul 2, 2009
Woa... I liked Transformers 2. I also didn't expect it to be anything more than an action movie where they probably used enough gasoline to bring a few parts of the world out of the fuel crisis for a month. That being said why the massive flame war?

Yeah there are some stupid parts in it to get some cheap laughs but really people I don't see how you are going to convince each other of anything aside from hardening previously held convictions.