Escape to the Movies: True Grit

gaming Outlaw

Sep 21, 2010
AwesomeExpress said:
MovieBob said:
True Grit

This week, Bob saddles up for True Grit.

Watch Video
I'm definitely going to see True Grit, I have always enjoyed the Coen brothers' movies! BUT, are you saying that everyone who enjoys a Mike Bay film is a douchebag? That anyone who is not a douchebag could not possibly enjoy a Michael Bay film and that only douchebags enjoy Michael Bay films?

I think the difference is how you enjoy the movie.If you think the movies are fun but silly,
rather than a brilliant piece of art,than cross your name of the douche bag list.

I still think he's douche though but I don't have a show to run.

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
While it was mature of him to apologize, I'm not sure if Michael Bay can hear our insults from the gigantic pile of money he lives in.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
I like how Bob calls out movies for being for douche bags while he acts like a know-it all douche bag himself. Some of those movies weren't terrible... well I admit what was up with the raciest transformers. Although seeing how old transformers is they might have been still acceptable back in the day. Like speedy Gonzales or Date Rape Le Pew.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Why back-peddle with the Bay comment? As far as I'm concerned you can say whatever the fuck you want on your own show.

Don't worry about "integrity," you're just fine. Someone needs to speak up for us. 7/10 is a bad review these days and you seem to be the only one who will lay out a 2/10 when it's deserved.

Besides, Bay threw integrity out the window in 98.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Well, i thought you were going in a good direction with that apology, until you completely undermined the more pressing insult; being that you called any person who enjoyed Transformers a douche-bag as well. Thanks for that, though, I had almost forgotten why I disregard almost everything you have to say.

For the love of god, if you don't like a movie, that's fine. But don't go around hurling insults at the people who do. Imagine if I had said "Scott Pilgrim is still a movie made by pretentious hipsters who enjoy the odd buggering, for pretentious hipsters who enjoy the odd buggering." in this sentence, not only am I declaring my loathing for the movie, which in of itself would be fine, but I am also declaring my loathing for you, specifically, Movie Bob, simply because you enjoyed it. That is what you have done to me, sir, on two separate occasions now.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'm going to see this movie at some point anyway but I have to know, does this one have the crazy guy that runs around making animal noises in it like the John Wayne version?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
What a crappy top 3 :D

And whats wrong with Transformers ? I mean, Ive never been into transformers so I cant compare it to source material. But it seems like a decent "non-thinking" action flick, I had more fun watching it then say, Expendables.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Anyone else cringe as hard as I do when somebody pretends to be drunk? Even if it's in an ironic way?

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
No reason to apologize Movie Bob, your Transformers 2 review is easily one of my favorites. I enjoy your reviews because you take a side, you don't beat around the bush stating the pros vs. the cons.

You just say whether or not the movie is worth our time and you don't care what other people think of your opinion. I love how people are offended when MovieBob makes fun of them for seeing a movie, but no gives a damn about Yahtzee calling everyone a twat every week. Plus, anyone who actually enjoys a Michael Bay film IS a douchebag, there's not one person I've met who enjoyed Transformers who wasn't.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
ShadowKatt said:
So recorded on tuesday, with rum and coke, to celebrate the new year...

AA, Mr. Bob, AA! It's only 12 steps! You can do it!
Since when d'ya need a reason to drink!? :p

interesting review, may give that a watch.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Bay may not be a douchebag, but he's still a MORON. Anyway, I saw True Grit on Xmas and this is what I have to say: Jeff Bridges dual-wielding revolvers with the reins in his teeth. Nuff said.

My top films that I saw: Inception and True Grit

Biggest Disappointment: Iron Man 2 (and probably soon to be Iron Man 3 and every Marvel film in the next two years)

Mattteus

May 1, 2009
Whoa, wait... does that mean Michael Bey is from Boston too?! *looks it up* oh, relatives by marriage.
It's New Year's Eve! time for all Bostonians to put on The Dismemberment Plan's song The Ice of Boston and get drunk and loud!

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
MattKirby said:
I wonder if he was contacted by Michael Bay or his producers/managers, it just seems peculiar that he just now issues an apology >.>
Oh, I doubt it. I think the apology is yet another dig at Expendables. He got a lot of flack for his comments about Transformers and then he got a lot of flack for his comments about The Expendables. By making a big, showy apology about Transformers, it's a passive-aggressive way of highlighting what he said about people who made/saw/enjoyed the Expendables instead of his pet movie, Scott Pilgrim.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yet at what end of the Coen-spectrum does True Grit lie?

Does it lean more towards Fargo and No Country For Old Men, or towards The Big Lebowski and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
MattKirby said:
I wonder if he was contacted by Michael Bay or his producers/managers, it just seems peculiar that he just now issues an apology >.>
I bet Michael Bay was swimming in his pool of money and thought to himself, "You know what? I don't like what that chubby guy from Massachusetts said about me on the internet. I think I'll waste lots of money paying someone to get in touch with him so that he can give me an apology."

No, I think Bob is finally just seeing that we enjoy his reviewing much better than we like him going off on opinionated rants.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think it is very cool for Bob to apologize. It makes me respect him much more as a critic :)