Escape to the Movies: True Grit

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Mattteus said:
Whoa, wait... does that mean Michael Bey is from Boston too?! *looks it up* oh, relatives by marriage.
It's New Year's Eve! time for all Bostonians to put on The Dismemberment Plan's song The Ice of Boston and get drunk and loud!
We're aware of the post Xmas snow.
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Why back-peddle with the Bay comment? As far as I'm concerned you can say whatever the fuck you want on your own show.

Don't worry about "integrity," you're just fine. Someone needs to speak up for us. 7/10 is a bad review these days and you seem to be the only one who will lay out a 2/10 when it's deserved.

Besides, Bay threw integrity out the window in 98.
Haha, I thought those exact same first three words when I watched this. While I like Movie Bob, he is starting to conform in order to become a bigger/more legit reviewer. This isn't good. I understand why, but he'll eventually lose his edge and that will take away from him being so good. I feel that he's always been a good technical reviewer, but it's his ability to "call a spade a spade" is what differentiates him from the rest and make him great.
BobDobolina said:
Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?
Scarlett Johansson

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
AwesomeExpress said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
AwesomeExpress said:
MovieBob said:
True Grit

This week, Bob saddles up for True Grit.

Watch Video
I'm definitely going to see True Grit, I have always enjoyed the Coen brothers' movies! BUT, are you saying that everyone who enjoys a Mike Bay film is a douchebag? That anyone who is not a douchebag could not possibly enjoy a Michael Bay film and that only douchebags enjoy Michael Bay films?
Yeah, that doesn't really sit with me well either.

I mean, I genuinely think both Bad Boys movie are alright and I believe The Rock (which he didn't mention amidst the "quote-unquote good movies") is a masterpiece.

And I'm pretty sure other, probably more reasonable people can enjoy some Michael Bay flicks.

So, yeah, apologised to one person but stereotyped a whole bunch of other people.

Good to see the movie in question is good, though.
Exactly! He apologises to the person making the movie because of a jump to conclusions, but then makes the same jump with the people who watch the movies! That grinds my gears!
But its still ok to call the fans and makers of Expendables idiots.

Sep 17, 2009
How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
BobDobolina said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Bob, your 2010 review list is spot on.
Why, thank you.
Your wel-...

icwhatudidthar

Nautical Honors Society said:
How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.
Because scott pilgrim was AMAZING!

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Jaranja said:
Another movie that I just saw that should be on the worst movies of 2010:

Salt.

Seriously, go see it. It's dreadful.
Usually people recommend good films...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
PeePantz said:
BobDobolina said:
Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?
Scarlett Johansson
It's actually Amanda Seyfreid ;)

Also, the main reason to take back a personal dig at Michael Bay was because it was right - I don't know the guy, and it was unprofessional. But if you want specifics: He put a reward up to help catch that puppy-killer chick from the youtube video earlier in the year. That makes him "probably okay" in my book.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I was hoping for another Tombstone, but the Genius of Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday likely won't happen again.

JourneyThroughHell said:
TheMann said:
About Michael Bay; I actually heard that he is a fairly cool guy. He actually openly admits that his movies sort of suck. He was quoted as saying, "Even my fans tell me 'We love you Michael Bay, but you still suck.'" and "What? I make movies for 15 year-old boys. Is that a crime?" Basically, if you want to make a stupid movie that revolves mostly around shit blowing up, then Michael Bay is your go-to guy (or Roland Emmerich if you want a slightly less stupid one). So, say what you want about the man, at least he has no pretenses about what he does.
I would just like to post this very commercial here as an example of Michael Bay admitting the extent of his cinematic meaningfulness.

I absolutely love that he can parody himself like that.

BobDobolina said:
Pugiron said:
Irony is just Hipsters trying to use a fancy name for sarcasm to seem more intelligent.
More intelligent than you, friend? Surely that's impossible!

Actually irony . . . is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony]. For example, it's ironic that in complaining about "irony" and its relationship to "intelligence," you misidentify "irony" as "sarcasm" out of apparent intellectual laziness. The first line of this reply to your most recent post, however, is a clear example of sarcasm. See the difference?
If I'm not mistaken, sarcasm is an example of Verbal Irony, but that doesn't mean the concepts are the same in every case.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, Sarcasm can involve irony, but it isn't always so.

EDIT 2: There actually doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Dana22 said:
What a crappy top 3 :D

And whats wrong with Transformers ? I mean, Ive never been into transformers so I cant compare it to source material. But it seems like a decent "non-thinking" action flick, I had more fun watching it then say, Expendables.
The main problems I have with Transformers is that the action isn't even all that good. I despise gasoline-"explosions", they lack awesomeness and power.

Other than that, I've only seen the first movie and it was okay to watch, certainly not worthy of all the money they seem to be making, but also not worthy of the hate. Maybe my opinion would be different if I knew and liked the source material?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Pugiron said:
and Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.
Illogical. Scott Pilgrim heavily references video game tropes, a popular medium. Therefore cannot be a hipster movie, since hipsters hate popular things.

Also, I'm going to jump to conclusions and say that you hate Hot Fuzz.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
MattKirby said:
I wonder if he was contacted by Michael Bay or his producers/managers, it just seems peculiar that he just now issues an apology >.>
New Years resolution perhaps? I mean, Bay still makes terrible films, but...you know I really can't think of a positive trait to give him.

OT: I've already gotten some recommendations for the film from my friends so I may give it a go. Granted though, I'm not a big western fan.